Wii U Won't Play Blu-rays Or DVDs

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Wii U Won't Play Blu-rays Or DVDs

Nintendo thinks you already have enough DVD players in your life, so the Wii U won't be another one.

Since its revelation at E3, more and more details have been trickling out about Nintendo's new home console, the Wii U. However, this latest nugget will probably leave a lot of people less excited about its eventual release: The Wii U will not feature DVD or Blu-ray playback.

During a Q&A session with analysts at E3, Nintendo revealed the lack of DVD support. According to the company, this decision was made because it believes that consumers have enough devices that can play DVDs.

According to Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, "The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies."

Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be an option to play media on the system. The Wii has access to Netflix Instant, and the 3DS is supposed to receive the same service later this summer. It seems safe to assume that the Wii U will also have this feature available to it.

Source: Siliconera

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
What's that Mr. Stockbroker? Nintendo's shares just went down another bunch'a'money.....wonder why that is.....

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
How will this negatively affect us? (and please don't slap a low content post ban on me, I'm asking a question)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
On the plus side, this makes the system price lower, correct?

But on the downside, even the fucking PS2 could play DVDs.

DOES THIS MEAN THE WIIU WILL USE...CARTRIDGES?

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
well yea I guess 99.9% of us already has a dvd player in their house.
but will it have an HDD (or SSD?) so we can accually put media on our WiiU's?
that is a buy or die factor for the WiiU.

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008

This means I will have to use one of the many other DVD players or (gasp) my computer to watch DVDs.

Won't someone please think of the children?

Besides, physical media is so 2007.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I'm... Shocked?

The Wii didn't have DVD or blu-ray so why should its successor?

Honestly, I think it's a smart move I mean, they have a point, people nowadays typically have DVD players in abundance. Besides that it's a games console, you play games on it.

The only reason I watch DVDs on my Xbox is because I can't be arsed to buy a player. If Xbox didn't have it I'd just watch them on my PC.

So, yeah I support the idea.

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
So all of us with Netflix accounts that receive DVD's can now be expected to unplug our white urine box in favor of a DVD player?

The best part about this is that I never actually bothered getting a standalone DVD player because for the last 6 years or so I've had a console that played DVD's. ...Smooth Move. Skipped the Wii and now the WiiU will follow suit. I loved my Gamecube so much too.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Not really that much of a bother, is it? Nintendo wouldn't back a non-Nintendo brand disk anyway, so I don't think anyone expected this thing to play them.

Also, Wii U will be drastically less powerful than claimed.
Why? Because this is the games industry- and they are LIARS.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Next thing you know, the Wii U will be trying to incorporate HD-DVD.

Shreder55

Jul 1, 2009
I know they are right, everything can play DVDs. But to me this screams why I stopped buying Nintendo products. They refuse to go along with the times and see what consumers want. They just go slowly that by the time Nintendo reaches its next console Sony and Microsoft will already be ten years ahead in technology.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
What if I DON'T have a bunch of Dvd players lying around Hurrm??

Onyx Oblivion said:
I laughed at this. The return of "blowing into the Cartridges" will GLORIOUS!!!

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
This sounds familiar, less features and storage as possible, no dvd playback just because. Nintendo please do something that surprises everyone for once.

So far my only surprise is they came up with a worse name than Wii.

Anyone else here saw Kung Pow? Remember the weird girl who kept saying the new Nintendo system name? "Chosen one!!! WiiU WiiU WiiU!"

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

Well..the pictures of the console shows a CD slot..for Wii games...and a cartridge slot under?..idk really, looks like it is.

Could ofc just be the slot to the plugs for standard classic controller ;)

Frozenfeet2

Apr 3, 2010
This doesn't surprise me, it even seems sensible, but I'm surprised they keep revealing bad aspects of the console and havent confirmed HD graphics or if it's more powerful than xbox/ps3 etc details which would add to hype/comfort stockholders.

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
Well considering I have like seven DVD players I never use, I really don't mind this. Still, it seems that everything doubles as a DVD player nowadays.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
as many have already said, pretty much everyone will have a DVD player in some form or other already, technically there are 4 in my house (1 DVD player in the front room, 2 laptops and i have a TV with a built in DVD player in my room) so the Wii U not playing DVDs is really no biggie. keeps the price lower so even better

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

it uses proprietary high storage disks, they hold about 25 gigs

its annoying but not enough to prevent me from wanting one