Valve Nixes Half-Life 3 Rumors

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Valve Nixes Half-Life 3 Rumors

A rumored leak that suggested Valve had been working on a proper Half-Life 3 is just a rumor after all.

Half-Life fans have been waiting in vain for a new game in the series ever since 2007's Half-Life 2: Episode 2, and with Duke Nukem Forever finally on shelves, Episode 3 is well poised to take its crown as gaming's most infamous vaporware.

Half-Life fansite Lambda Generation [http://lambdageneration.com/posts/half-life-3-accidentally-revealed-in-former-valve-devs-resume/] unearthed a post on the Steam forums from a user named ryuuk, who claimed to have uncovered evidence that Half-Life 3 was in development via the resume of a former Valve staffer.

The post, titled "Half-Life 3 is officially confirmed!" read as follows:

[blockquote]Mike Dussault, a long time programmer at Valve, recently left the company. I didn't know him until last week. Let me introduce myself. I'm a freelance artist. I do contract work for a studio in Seattle, through the internet. They have a client access system on their site. I came across Dussault's resume, while browsing the files section. Now, I know you're all curious about Valve's in-house development, but I'm only going to talk about the Half-Life series.

According to his resume, Episode Three was put on hold when Valve decided to move away from the episodic model in late 2007, right after Episode Two's release. He was a techinal advisor on a cancelled Half-Life title, made outside of the company. Dussault's work on Half-Life 3′s world programming, and the scripting system (between 2008 and 2010) is also mentioned in the resume.[/blockquote]

The thread was deleted shortly afterwards, and ryuuk was permanently banned from the forums, which - in the eyes of some - made it all the more legitimate. Lambda Generation also confirmed that Mike Dussault was in fact a long-time employee with Valve and had left the company in 2010, dovetailing with ryuuk's story. While it was circumstantial evidence, it was enough to make some believe the story as the gospel truth.

Unfortunately, it ain't. Valve's Doug Lombardi didn't mince words [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/06/15/half-life-3-hints-surface.aspx] in a statement to Game Informer. "This is fiction (aside from the fact that Mike D is a real person)."

Ah well, better luck next time, Valve fans. Meanwhile, Gabe Newell pauses for a moment to laugh at the Half-Life devotees from the top of his iron fortress in Bellevue, before going to swim in the money bin from Steam revenues.

(Game Informer [http://lambdageneration.com/posts/half-life-3-accidentally-revealed-in-former-valve-devs-resume/])

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
It's a little known fact that every time someone mentions Half Life 3 or Episode 3 on the internet Valve has to give Gabe Newell a quarter. And suddenly his vast fortune is explained!

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Soooo it's not even IN development? or it IS and they're just not telling us? Smells like conspiracy

EDIT: I miss the old crazy captchas

Zirat

May 16, 2009
Going for a money swim?

So now he's Scrooge McDuck? Hmm, oddly fitting all things considered.

Though on topic, I honestly don't care too much about Half Life 3 anymore, all this waiting and rumors have made me pretty much made me apathetic to the whole idea.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Oh, that's actually quite depressing. Also, this game and Final Fantasy Versus XIII could be the next kings of vaporware.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah. Even Gran Turismo 5 came out last year, too.

Half Life is the newest vaporware joke.

It better be a full on game, and not just an episode at this point, really.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Episode 3 is well poised to take its crown as gaming's most infamous vaporware."

4-year-old game with no official announcement beyond, "we plan to do 3 episodes" versus game in development for 14 years that suffered many release dates, launch trailers, developers and official announcements.

I really don't see the point of comparison that everyone seems to.

Anyway, they probably are working on HL3, let's face it. Just because they say they aren't doesn't mean they aren't.

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008
Sure the story about the employee's resume may be fake, but that doesn't mean they're not working on HL3.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Give it a few more years, and I think Valve might start to see a backlash if they haven't mentioned anything...

C'maaan!

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008

OT: Oh, well. Haven't really liked the Half Life series for what I've played of it.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Of course they did. I mean they probably have something in the works, but I doubt it'll be out anytime soon

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
Depressing news indeed.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't put a team together to work on HL3 anyway. They have the talent.
HL2 made enough money surely, There's a great untold story still. It stands to reason that HL3 would make just as much if not more.
Do they think they'll make more money by stringing it out? Make the fans rabid enough, they'll buy it in droves?

Leave it too long and Gordon Freeman will become a Duke Nukem.. A relic of a past era. In that case it's probably better of left unmade.

Griff Morivan

Mar 7, 2011
OKAY! HEAR ME OUT ON THIS ONE!

Half Life Ep 2 ends with them dying. Gordon passes out to Alyx sobbing over the corpse of her father. Dog loses to the pimple bugs, and they come back and murder everyone.

It's all over.

Which works.

Because Half Life 2 wasn't as much fun as the original. So meh.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I don't understand the secrecy. it's not like telling us they're making it would affect the hype.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Woodsey said:
It;s not that they're comparing Ep.3 to DNF, it's justthat with it out now, Ep.3 is poised to claim the position of "hotly anticipated game that never seems to be going anywhere".

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Half Life Forever, I believe it will be called.

Why all the secrecy? That's what I don't understand, if a press release had been issued from Valve stating the episodic content idea wasn't working out and they'd rather develop a full game instead I would have been tons happier! Imagine Activision announcing the next COD and then total silence for years...

Sounds like they should get Left 4 Dead 3 out to make up for it :D

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
John Funk said:
Ah well, better luck next time, Valve fans. Meanwhile, Gabe Newell pauses for a moment to laugh at the Half-Life devotees from the top of his iron fortress in Bellevue, before going to swim in the money bin from Steam revenues.
i'd like to point this out to anyone who POSSIBLY thinks Valve is some gaming folk hero.

oh, and this too. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_245/7285-Steam-A-Monopoly-In-the-Making.2]

OT: well, does this surprise anyone? they want us to die of anticipation first, and at this rate, it'll be the next Duke Nukem Forever

Feb 13, 2008
John Funk said:
Meanwhile, Gabe Newell pauses for a moment to laugh at the Half-Life devotees from the top of his iron fortress in Bellevue, before going to swim in the money bin from Steam revenues.
At least Gabe earned his money, rather than stealing it from his employees, like certain other CEOs.

Or releasing terrible sequels year on year.
Or monopolising DLCs.
Or releasing unwanted peripherals.
Or charging for each transaction.
Or running off to create their own Steam with blackjack and hookers.
Or running an entire IP into the ground.
Or getting their entire system hacked because they can't be bothered to put security in.

Swim on Gabe, you're still doing alright overall. But cut down on the hats, please.