Tim Schafer Thinks Subject Matter of Games Needs to Expand

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Tim Schafer Thinks Subject Matter of Games Needs to Expand

The subject of matter of games has expanded from the small list of genres it used to cover, Brutal Legend designer Tim Schafer thinks, but in order for the medium to become a mainstream form of entertainment, it'll have to grow even more.

You could write a book (or at least a very long and pretentious blog entry) about why videogames have yet to achieve true mainstream acceptance alongside TV and film, but beloved game designer Tim Schafer has a pretty straightforward explanation. "I think it's a subject matter barrier," he said. "Not everybody wants to get into these super violent worlds and yet here I am making a game about broad axes and decapitation."

Not that games haven't made progress, however, Schafer thinks. "It's getting better, it used to be that the games industry had a short list of inspirations. You had Tolkien-esque fantasy, Star Wars, and then new things get added," he said. "I think GTA brought a whole new level of inspiration. And I think the broader that gets, the more people will be interested in games."

Right now, people are getting more interested in games, but if their scope never moves, as Schafer says, beyond "the summer action blockbuster," then people might start writing games off as simplistic fare. "[Games] haven't really gone outside of [the blockbuster model]," Schafer said. "But I think they will, and hopefully they will soon, or else people will be solidified in their view of games. Their expectations are set."

What's one way to get more people interested? Schafer offered one solution that he's proven particularly adept at handling. "I think humor would get more people into games," he said. So even though his Brutal Legend is "a game about broad axes and decapitation," maybe it'll be funny enough to get people interested.

[Via GamesIndustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/subject-matter-is-biggest-barrier-to-entry-for-games-schafer]]

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
hes got a point. Almost every mainstream game I can think of has visceral violence as a central motif. If your not into that, there really isnt that much out there that isnt made by Popcap

MrPop

May 14, 2009
I agree although I wonder if games would ever cover the same genres as films and books. Imagine a game base a concentration camp guard. A book or film of that is perfectly acceptable but a video game of it would be outrageous. And obviously because people view you as controlling incredibly evil actions. I cannot imagine how long it would take before video games can directly combat issues in the world without it being given a bad light. Maybe 50 years?
That was a bit of a rant but >.>

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
VitalSigns said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Why would we want gaming to become more mainstream than it already is?
Mo Money, Mo Games?
Jesus Christ that was quick.

Fair enough, but you know what else is mainstream?
The Jonas Brothers.

Case: Rested.
Also "mo'" is painful, even ironically.
Never again, boy.
Or we will have words (and then fisticuffs.)
the Mo was cause im gangsta as fuck (obviously)
Also just because something is mainstream doesn't mean its bad. I am very involved in the underground music scene and guess what? There is a lot of garbage there as well. If gaming becomes more popular they make more money, more money is more new games coming out, More new games can also mean more new franchises and not just this sequel shit we've been going through.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
Well yeah, it's the blockbuster format because games are about projecting your fantasies onto the hero, so we want lots of action and adventure.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Well he's right, but there aren't many companies willing to risk something new.
Look at Beyond Good & Evil and Psychonauts, they still feature violence but are deviations from normal games, only a small percentage of gamers have played these great games and that's why games will have to struggle for mainstream acceptance. Too many gamers are set in their ways of "It has guns, I'll get it. That game doean't let me kill people, it sucks" and that's a real shame.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
I'd understand the comment more if it were 10-15 years ago but now...? In the age of Wii Fit, The Sims, Brain Training games and the revitalization of popular adventure game series, I'd say the subject matter of games has already expanded way beyond the kill 'em all aspect. Not to mention thanks to the downloadable game space, we have plenty of different price points for different sorts of games. Not every game today is a $60/60EUR rollercoaster ride.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Humor was long represented by the adventure game genre, and still is. It's not that widely spread though.

What other genres remain? Drama? I think part of the problem is just that the material is pretty dang rancid in most cases. Take Kojima for instance. He's not a good writer. Maybe if you compare stories in games his stories are better, or at least lenghtier, but add in the average from movies and books he's just a hack. Schaefer and his crew has always been good at making the story work for what it is. Psychonauts won't blow any minds in terms of plot, but it was funny and cleveryly presented.

There's a slight possibility that Heavy Rain will prove to be the first good completely serious game of the modern era of games, but Indigo Prophecy was a mess to be honest. It did have some effective scenes, but when it started to go downhill it happened pretty quickly. I think it's mostly a matter to get better writers intersted in the industry. There's plenty of talented designerns and graphic artists there already, but the writing simply doesn't match up.

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
VitalSigns said:
the Mo was cause im gangsta as fuck (obviously)
Also just because something is mainstream doesn't mean its bad. I am very involved in the underground music scene and guess what? There is a lot of garbage there as well. If gaming becomes more popular they make more money, more money is more new games coming out, More new games can also mean more new franchises and not just this sequel shit we've been going through.
Even though I am fairly sure you're kidding, I had to restrain the impulse to have someone hunt you down for me.
So many bad memories...
So many white kids trying to be black.
So many black kids trying to be way too black.

Well of course there is. 90% of everything is shit.
And Guitar Band or Rock Hero or whatever are really popular games as well, and how many sequels do they have?

If something is making a lot of money (Halo), it is unlikely a company will use it to finance something NEW and ORIGINAL.
They'll cash in on it like George Lucas cashes in on Star Wars.
Haha I don't think Im black, in fact in into Deathcore and indie music so you can call of the dogs.

I Disagree I think if companies had more disposable money for new Franchises would come out because of it, because they have the expendable money and not have to worry about the risks as much. (EA is a great example, the richer they got the more risks they took.)

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
VitalSigns said:
Haha I don't think Im black, in fact in into Deathcore and indie music so you can call of the dogs.

I Disagree I think if companies had more disposable money for new Franchises would come out because of it, because they have the expendable money and not have to worry about the risks as much. (EA is a great example, the richer they got the more risks they took.)
I know, I know, but it's like I said - the memories are scarring.

You're apparently an optimist.
I am not. I am of the opinion that companies and people are greedy by their very nature, and would not care about quality once they had a brand name to hide behind (See: EA Sports shit.)

EDIT: See also this thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.119936
But EA have proven there willing to take risks, look at the new franchises they have put out within the last 2 years, thats why they are currently my favorite publisher. They may not make the best games, but there trying new things and I can appreciate that. EA could just keep making sports and Skate and nothing else and make a killing, but they are experimenting with other types of games some good, some bad, but at least they are experimenting in the first place.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I already feel like I have to wade through more then enough crap to find a game worth anything. I can't say that expansion into new areas wont bring us a few new gems, but the thought of all the extra crap that will be heaved onto the crap pile makes me sad.

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
VitalSigns said:
But EA have proven there willing to take risks, look at the new franchises they have put out within the last 2 years, thats why they are currently my favorite publisher. They may not make the best games, but there trying new things and I can appreciate that. EA could just keep making sports and Skate and nothing else and make a killing, but they are experimenting with other types of games some good, some bad, but at least they are experimenting in the first place.
Fair enough, I suppose.
Though I still think they could do a lot better about not flooding the market with shit and trying more new things.

But god knows human beings hate change, so...
Agreed, I choose to be optimistic because I have been pessimistic for far too long. At the end of the day they are just games, and if they suck, ill just play more guitar.