CliffyB Not Burned Out on Gears, But Loves New IP

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
CliffyB Not Burned Out on Gears, But Loves New IP

Even after what he calls "only" two Gears of War games, Epic Games' Cliff Bleszinski says he still sees plenty of opportunity to build on the franchise, though he hasn't forgotten the thrill and value of entirely original IPs.

Judging from the amount of people there are on Xbox Live who are still handing me my sorry ass in Gears of War 2 multiplayer on a weekly basis, I'd say it's safe to say that the kids aren't tired of their Gears. Which is a good thing, because the man behind the games isn't even close to tired of making them. "There have only been two Gears games," Cliff "yB" Bleszinksi told Official Xbox Magazine. "There are still plenty of opportunities for things you can do in a cover-based shooter and there are still a lot of stories to tell in the Gears universe."

Only two? I guess these days if you don't got a trilogy you don't got nothin'. Bleszinski does have his points, though. After Gears 2 expanded the scope of the franchise storywise, there's plenty more tales to tell, and cover-based shooting is still plenty fun, if at least in Gears and not always in every other game that features it these days.

Although Bleszinski says that he's "not burned out with the franchise at all," he admits that working with an established property like Gears does have its drawbacks. "With an established IP, you're not saying, 'are we going to do cover?' and 'who is this Cole Train guy?' It's all there - the writer writes and it's a known entity," he explained. "But with a new IP, it's raw and wide open. It's like solving a giant puzzle in your head, and it's great."

Bleszinski has nothing but love and encouragement for people working on new IPs. They're the lifeblood of the industry because they "generally don't have to adhere to rules or limitations." And while he's not working on a new IP at the moment, he'd hate to be forced to take on a readymade property he wasn't interested in (not that he'd ever have to). "If tomorrow someone came to Epic and forced me to do a licensed IP - 'You have to make the new videogame for the new Mummy movie'- I would go out back and put a shotgun in my mouth," Bleszinski said.

[Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=217804]]

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
I really hate that Gears of War is so popular, it just reinforces the (unfortunately true) stereotype of games being repetitive mindless boring gore-fests.
And CliffyB, I know you're proud of your arms and you like to work out, but why does every dude in Unreal engine based games have to look like two brick shithouses cemented together?

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
So is Cliff working on Shadow Complex? That would be just as good as a Cliffy-five, although I heard they can cause death.

@Keane Ng Cliff dropped the 'y'. Just letting you know.

crowlski

Mar 20, 2008
That was the joke of the OXM story. The photos show Cliff wearing a name tag with "yB" scratched out.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
not a zaar said:
I really hate that Gears of War is so popular, it just reinforces the (unfortunately true) stereotype of games being repetitive mindless boring gore-fests.
And CliffyB, I know you're proud of your arms and you like to work out, but why does every dude in Unreal engine based games have to look like two brick shithouses cemented together?
Seconded, all counts.

Except for the part about knowing anything about this dude.
I think what's worse is that the protagonist of UTIII looks a lot like Marcus Fenix.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
AceDiamond said:
I think what's worse is that the protagonist of UTIII looks a lot like Marcus Fenix.
Uhh, no, he doesn't. He looks like Dom.

http://loot-ninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/ut3-dom.jpg

Anyway, I don't dislike established IPs, however I despise the sequel-fest that gaming has become. Certain franchises are either genuinely brilliant or successful enough to warrant sequels, but the fact that terrible games get sequels purely because they can is annoying, and ultimately destructive to the industry.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
not a zaar said:
And I hate how everyone calls Gears a mindless, boring gore fest. It's not mindless/boring: just simple. I also hate how the game is looked down on for that. Not every game needs to be Brain Age: sometimes all you want to do is kill some shit.

Shadow Complex is a interesting looking game... I'll be getting it when it comes out.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
I do like GoW but I hate how Epic turned their back on the gaming platform that made them and particularly CliffyB who hasn't stopped sucking MS's cock since the original GoW. Their bullshit about piracy is nonsense and there's certainly plenty of channels to go down to avoid piracy, or at least as it'll be able to be dodged. Like Steam or Stardock. Though Stardock is a horrifically buggy mess, even if it is prettier than Steam, I'd settle for that with GoW.

Mar 26, 2008
scotth266 said:
not a zaar said:
And I hate how everyone calls Gears a mindless, boring gore fest. It's not mindless/boring: just simple. I also hate how this is looked down on. Not every game needs to be Brain Age: sometimes all you want to do is kill some shit.

Shadow Complex is a interesting looking game... I'll be getting it when it comes out.
Agreed! More than half the people who rag on it either haven't played it or simply dislike it because it's popular (something I like to call Haloitis). Go play Ico and cut yourself.

Gears 2 was fantastic and improved on the original in every way. I don't see any reason not to continue the franchise for at least one more game.

BTW; Baird from GoW is in UTIII (or atleast someone who looks a hell of a lot like him)

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Joshimodo said:
AceDiamond said:
Uhh, no, he doesn't. He looks like Dom.

http://loot-ninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/ut3-dom.jpg
Whatever, they're both equally generic

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
I like Gears of War, and I appreciate Cliffy Beleszinski's enthusiasm.

I'm looking forward to this new IP.

Jul 9, 2008
scotth266 said:
not a zaar said:
And I hate how everyone calls Gears a mindless, boring gore fest. It's not mindless/boring: just simple. I also hate how this is looked down on. Not every game needs to be Brain Age: sometimes all you want to do is kill some shit.

I agree. The gunplay in Gears is very satisfying, so I have it for when "that" mood strikes. I like games based on moral quandaries or philosophy or some such, but there's no reason that every game has to be that. In fact, it would be detrimental.

Anyway, I actually think that the story of Gears would have been at least somewhat better if they just hadn't made the age-old mistake and gotten the writers on board after the story was written to clean up the mess. A new IP from Epic which the writers were involved with from the beginning would probably be pretty damned good.

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
Gears is a great series (and very popular too hate, death to success I guess). Cliff is a good designer, Shadow Complex looks great and I have a lot of faith in Epic.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
Programmed_For_Damage said:
scotth266 said:
not a zaar said:

Agreed! More than half the people who rag on it either haven't played it or simply dislike it because it's popular (something I like to call Haloitis). Go play Ico and cut yourself.
I went into Gears expecting all the best (it does have a 94 on Metacritic, after all), and was thoroughly disappointed. Just sayin', there are quite a few people who say they don't like Gears because they actually don't like it.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
mjhhiv said:
Programmed_For_Damage said:
scotth266 said:
not a zaar said:

I went into Gears expecting all the best (it does have a 94 on Metacritic, after all), and was thoroughly disappointed. Just sayin', there are quite a few people who say they don't like Gears because they actually don't like it.
well hes not saying that hes doesnt like it hes saying that it reinforces sterotypes

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
mjhhiv said:
Take note that he didn't say that wasn't a possibility to not like Gears: he's just stating that folks like you (who dislike the game due to its faults), are in the minority compared to the groups he mentioned. And he's most likely right.

lizards said:
fix gears 2 headshot dectection dick
I see we have a sniper. Well then: SNIPER, NO SNIPING. Sorry, I couldn't resist.