Montana City Wants Your Facebook Information

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Montana City Wants Your Facebook Information

People applying for jobs with the city of Bozeman, Montana [http://www.bozeman.net/], are now being asked to list their memberships in online forums and social networks, and to provide all user names and passwords required to access their accounts.

Along with the usual paperwork, the city requires all job applicants to sign a waiver giving it permission to check "background, references, character, past employment, education, credit history, criminal or police records." Nothing terribly unusual about that, but it gets a bit sticky soon after.

"Please list any and all, current personal or business websites, web pages or memberships on any Internet-based chat rooms, social clubs or forums, to include, but not limited to: MySpace [http://www.facebook.com], etc.," the waiver reads. It also provides three lines so applicants can list URLs, user names and passwords for any social networks or similar sites they may belong to.

City attorney Greg Sullivan defended the demand for the information, saying that while Bozeman takes privacy rights "very seriously," it also has to ensure that its employees are men (and women) of high moral fiber. "We have positions ranging from fire and police, which require people of high integrity for those positions, all the way down to the lifeguards and the folks that work in city hall here," Sullivan said. "So we do those types of investigations to make sure the people that we hire have the highest moral character and are a good fit for the City."

He also offered assurances that the city wouldn't be looking at any information that it's not supposed to have access to and can't Constitutionally make use of. "One thing that's important for folks to understand about what we look for is none of the things that the federal Constitution lists as protected things, we don't use those," he explained. "We're not putting out this broad brush stroke of trying to find out all kinds of information about the person that we're not able to use or shouldn't use in the hiring process." He added that nobody had ever removed their name from consideration for a job because of the request.

Nothing to worry about, then. It's good to know that this isn't actually a gross invasion of privacy because for a minute there I was a little disturbed by the idea of handing over that sort of information to a faceless, powerful government entity. Silly me.

Source: Boing Boing [http://montanasnewsstation.com/Global/story.asp?S=10551414&nav=menu227_3]

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Ok I can sort of see usernames maybe? not really? but passwords there is no way in heck that I am giving them passwords to any of my accounts. If you want to look at my facebook page go for it but I am not giving you access to my account there is no reason for anyone other then me to give out my password. In fact don't most websites have policies about giving out passwords to your account.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
There's no way that can be legal. And if you give them your password they could log in and change your information, or worse delete your account.

If people find out things because of your Facebook (like drinking) because someone found it, that's one thing. Actually giving them permission to check on things like that is very much another.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Usernames & websites are ok.
Passwords? Hell no.

Bad, Montana!

TheTygerfire said:
There's no way that can be legal. And if you give them your password they could log in and change your information, or worse delete your account.

If people find out things because of your Facebook (like drinking) because someone found it, that's one thing. Actually giving them permission to check on things like that is very much another.
The thing is, you've got to be stupid enough to post on facebook about what you did. There was a policman here who got sacked because his status was "is looking forward to beating the shit out of some hippy G20 protesters".

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Yet another reason to lie to your government...

That's the solution, just say you don't have anything. Given that everyone (with any sense) keeps their internet profile under aliases how would they ever prove otherwise?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Malygris said:
"So we do those types of investigations to make sure the people that we hire have the highest moral character and are a good fit for the City."

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I wonder if your X-Box Live account is included in that.

I was under the impression that sharing your account details and allowing people to assume your identity and password was against the 'Terms of Use' of a lot of websites and groups that you make accounts for.

Basically, to prove that you're a trustworthy employee, they're asking you to break multiple contracts before they'll give you a work contract... It seems a bit like 'robbing Peter to pay Paul'.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
You could even (If you have the time) set up a series up accounts that all brown-nose one you've made up for your job... (I'm not serious)
Seems like a breach of privacy there. And not everyone will have them anyway though. And things on Facebook and things at work are entirely different. You may post pictures of yourself drinking on Facebook but that doesn't mean that you'll come into work drunk.
I can understand usernames maybe names but passwords...

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Hiring managers asking for Facebook or MySpace accounts has been going on for a long time now, but passwords? I just have a feeling we're talking about a policy that was made by people who don't understand how the sites work.

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
Malygris said:
City attorney Greg Sullivan defended the demand for the information, saying that while Bozeman takes privacy rights "very seriously," it also has to ensure that its employees are men (and women) of high moral fiber. "We have positions ranging from fire and police, which require people of high integrity for those positions, all the way down to the lifeguards and the folks that work in city hall here," Sullivan said. "So we do those types of investigations to make sure the people that we hire have the highest moral character and are a good fit for the City."
Mmmm...moral fiber.

Lame joke/pun/thing aside, just because someone doesn't belong to any website doesn't mean they aren't a bloody psycho that's going to abuse their position if they happen to obtain it.

Now, I understand where they're coming from, they're checking the profiles of the applicants, I can understand that, but they seem to be making a huge damn deal about it, like, they're getting too many appilcants so it's bogging them down...lies.

If they want to speed things up, they shouldn't have the facade of the whole damn "equal-employment" thing. No, instead of telling everyone else to "buzz off, we already found someone we want for the job." they let people waste their time applying so the company gets good PR.

One more thing...mayhap they should look into complaints that are filed against city employees more thoroughly...y'know, the people filing them might be onto something.

Nnnngh....must...stop...ranting...and get off...s-soap box..

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Wow, just wow. Well I'd just say I don't have any online accounts set my profile to private and take down a profile picture. I'm sure there is a lawsuit somewhere in this.

Or use this to your advantage and create a "work" account that shows you have a "high moral fibre" and are the best for the job.

Status update: Brian is looking forward to serving the great people of Bozeman Montana! After he raises money for sick babies in Africa!

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
I knew a guy who got fired from a place we were both working cause he called in sick and one of the managers checked his facebook which said "Party Tonight, Getting fucked" hahaha.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
How can you trust the people you give your username and password to? It would be like me giving a gun to a murderer and hoping he would not shoot me.

We all know some employer would most likely check very private information because they think they have that right.

skcseth

May 25, 2009
Is this only for people who are applying for city/state jobs? (i.e. cops/firemen/city hall workers)

Either way, that's going a little too far. But I guess in some respects, it is the same thing as a background check.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I don't have one so I don't really care. Wait do I have one? Oh well, I'm never on it.

I should look into that...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
If this is true, I'm waiting to hear about that City Lawyer getting fired, IMMEDIATELY. And hoping this madness isnt about to spread to other cities in Montana.
Nobody has any business asking for your password, NOBODY. Not even Jesus Christ or Mohammed. (Would think those two would know anyway)

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Step 1: you and friends make new social networking profiles
Step 2: use said profiles to extol each others' virtues and clean moral fiber
Step 3: profit

Alternately:

Step 1: make social networking profile that closely resembles one of these idiots who thinks everything on the internet is true.
Step 2: fill profile with tales of embezzlement, petty theft, vague references to illicit, or even illegal, activities.
Step 3: profit