Redbox Now Offers Nationwide Game Rentals

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Redbox Now Offers Nationwide Game Rentals

Driving yet another stake into the dark heart of Blockbuster Video, Redbox movie rental kiosks now offer videogames.

This should really come as no surprise to our loyal, incredibly attractive readers, as we reported on the company's videogame rental test run only two weeks ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92143-Redbox-Testing-Game-Rental-Kiosks]. What is surprising however, is the wide selection of new titles you can now find at the nearest Redbox machine.

The official site has despite its questionable quality [http://www.redbox.com/games?icamp=HP:MSS:H0:V0:None:GAMES:06171100], you can't deny that it's a quality "get" for service), inFamous 2, LA Noire and Brink. Redbox also offers Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 in what I assume is a clever ploy to win my journalistic favor. Well played guys.

In case you're unfamiliar with the Redbox concept, I'll explain. Redbox is a relatively new company that boasts 27,000 kiosk locations throughout the United States. At some point you've likely seen their kiosks; they look like bright red soda machines, only without the 20-year-old RC Cola label on the side.

When you want to nab a rental from one of these kiosks, you approach the machine, greet it politely, then use the touchscreen to select your film or game. DVDs will set you back $1 per day, Blu-Ray discs $1.50 and games $2. Rental returns are as simple as popping the disc into any Redbox kiosk.

The impressively clever bit is that instead of stocking each kiosk with thousands of films and games, the machine writes your selection to disc(s) on the spot. Redbox saves huge amounts of cash by not having to maintain a brick and mortar rental store, and you never have to worry that your selection will be out of stock.

Personally, I'm in the "Netflix is the future of media" camp, but I fully admit that the Redbox business model is brilliant.

The downside of course, is that the combined powers of Redbox and Netflix are figuratively murdering mainstream movie rental chains. Hollywood Video closed its doors last year [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37068852/ns/business-us_business/t/no-rental-chain-hollywood-video-close/], and if you spot a Blockbuster in the wild it is said that you will be granted three wishes by rubbing its horn.

Or was that unicorns?

Honestly, it doesn't matter. Redbox, like so many angry demonic bulls, has won. All hail Redbox.

Satin6T

May 5, 2009
sweet 2 bucks to play all the bad games i dont wanna pay 60 bucks for
freaking epic

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
Sweet I just might get Duke Nukem now.

There's a Blockbuster nearby my house but when I asked the cashier where they kept the horn they called the cops on me D:

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
In case you're unfamiliar with the Redbox concept, I'll explain. Redbox is a relatively new company that boasts 27,000 kiosk locations throughout the United States. At some point you've likely seen their kiosks; they look like bright red soda machines, only without the 20-year-old RC Cola label on the side.
Do they still make those RC cola stickers, because I'm sure that would be funny as hell to see.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Perfect! I was really hoping I'd find somewhere to rent Modern Warfare 3 when it came out.
Really don't want to buy it, but I'm so invested in the convoluted story by now, I just need to finish it.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
Do they still make those RC cola stickers, because I'm sure that would be funny as hell to see.
No idea, but I was in one of Portland's more esoterically popular (read: hipster) bars the other day and the bartender rejected my rum and Coke order, saying they only served RC Cola. So the stuff must still exist.

(PS: A rum and RC Cola is kinda terrible.)

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
The impressively clever bit is that instead of stocking each kiosk with thousands of films and games, the machine writes your selection to disc(s) on the spot. Redbox saves huge amounts of cash by not having to maintain a brick and mortar rental store, and you never have to worry that your selection will be out of stock.
I don't know if the Redboxes in your area are somehow more technologically advanced than the ones around here, but in my area at least they don't seem to burn disks and they do run out of stock on things from time to time. Perhaps one day they will all be like fantastic startrek replicators, able to produce a holo-disk of madden 2156 or a few generous hand fulls of creamed corn at a whim, but sadly not yet.

It is a shame though that the blockbusters and hollywood videos are closing their doors though. There was this one blockbuster, that was sorta far away from my house, but there was this awesome rockin' babe working there with blond hair and green eyes who was totally gonna go out with me, someday, maybe. I wonder what she's doing now? Probably being hot at a grocery store produce section or something. Where was I? Oh yeah, damn you Redbox and Netflix! Curse you for your incredible convenience.

What is this? I have to watch a commercial to make a post? HAHAHAHA.

Earnest Cavalli said:
vxicepickxv said:
No idea, but I was in one of Portland's more esoterically popular (read: hipster) bars the other day and the bartender rejected my rum and Coke order, saying they only served RC Cola. So the stuff must still exist.

Where do you live? I'm in California and RC cola is doing fine. Also RC cola is awesome. It uses real sugar. Your philistine taste buds were clearly unprepared for it's refined sugar glory.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
vxicepickxv said:

Of course it's terrible, there's RC cola in it. A much better choice is Dr. Thunder and rum.

Of course, I drink vodka tonics with lime, so my tastes are a bit off.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
vxicepickxv said:

I can't imagine it mixing very well, but RC Cola is my favorite soda of all time. I still pick up a 2-liter every now and then (trying desperately to drink less soda).

OT: This is a really good thing for people like me who don't subscribe to online rental services and are too broke-as-hell to buy a lot of titles I'm interested in.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Ghengis John said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
I don't know if the Redboxes in your area are somehow more technologically advanced than the ones around here, but in my area at least they don't seem to burn disks and they do run out of stock on things from time to time. Perhaps one day they will all be like fantastic startrek replicators, able to produce a holo-disk of madden 2156 or a few generous hand fulls of creamed corn at a whim, but sadly not yet.

It is a shame though that the blockbusters and hollywood videos are closing their doors though. There was this one blockbuster, that was sorta far away from my house, but there was this awesome rockin' babe working there with blond hair and green eyes who was totally gonna go out with me, someday, maybe. I wonder what she's doing now? Probably being hot at a grocery store produce section or something. Where was I? Oh yeah, damn you Redbox and Netflix! Curse you for your incredible convenience.

What is this? I have to watch a commercial to make a post? HAHAHAHA.
Two things.
One, the blonde you're talking about probably went to work selling cell phones at an AT&T store for commission like every other blockbuster employee I've ever met, and two, scrounge up the 20 bucks for a pub club membership, just to avoid the ads. It's amazing how nice that is.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
vxicepickxv said:
Of course it's terrible, there's RC cola in it. A much better choice is Dr. Thunder and rum.

Of course, I drink vodka tonics with lime, so my tastes are a bit off.
Nah. well only maybe a little. I'm partial to lime in my gin and tonic personally.

vxicepickxv said:
Two things.
One, the blonde you're talking about probably went to work selling cell phones at an AT&T store for commission like every other blockbuster employee I've ever met, and two, scrounge up the 20 bucks for a pub club membership, just to avoid the ads. It's amazing how nice that is.
Two things:
One: I'll be right back, going to the AT&T store.

Two: It's certainly looking more and more tempting. I don't judge them but it seems like a hilariously inventive way to get people to watch more ads. For a while anyhow.

HydraMoon

From high atop the treehouse
May 3, 2011
Blockbuster's horn has been places I don't dare to tread. Three wishes or no.

None of the Redboxes near me have any games yet. I'm starting to lose faith that they'll actually come here at all. The thing about Redbox is that I always forget they exist until I see them and by then I'm already in a hurry grocery shopping or something and don't want to wait in the line of people getting a movie.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Finally. I've been wondering what to do about game rentals since Block Buster and Hollywood video both closed since I don't rent games often enough to justify having a Gameflye account.

Dissolve

Garroter of Maladjusted Slobs
Apr 27, 2011
I feel that the major problem herein is that a movie can be watched in a night, and I hope the same never applies to videogames.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I'm pretty sure everyone who saw this though about getting Duke Nukem. I mean, it's one of those games that you kind of want to play, even if you think you don't... but you certainly don't want to pay $60 to see if it's good or not.

I might actually swing by there and grab me a game or two to tear through in a day when I'm bored. Good news.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Dissolve said:
I feel that the major problem herein is that a movie can be watched in a night, and I hope the same never applies to videogames.
I take it you're not a fan of Call of Duty then. I'd say I kid, but I am talking about the single player campaign.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
Games take a lot longer to play than movies - and who ever has one WHOLE DAY to go through a game? I like to savor them anyway. For me, the best game experience is one I can spend a few hours in then come back to a few months later and jump right back in.

It's what I did with Mass Effect (the original), and man, I enjoyed it. The side quests are on the monotonous side, so I'm sure it helped with that too.

Anyway, renting games for cheap is great, but I don't see myself ever using this.

Drabonn888

Jan 11, 2011
Dissolve said:
Yeah, but even if you take ten days with a new title, that's paying 20 bucks for a 60 dollar game. Pretty good deal for those single player games with little replay-ablity. Like L.A. Noire.

I'd say the only downside is DLC that comes out later for that game. Then again, if you like the game enough to want the DLC, you'd probably buy it.