The Escapist's Favorite Games of E3 2011

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
The Escapist's Favorite Games of E3 2011

From Asura to Zelda, we pick our favorite games from the show.

Read Full Article

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
I want whatever comes out first. So that's probably Arkham City.

Time to perfect me ultimate Batman zen... again! I couldn't be happier!

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Saints Row: The Third.

it will be the most underrated game of the year thanks to Cash-In of Duty (which i'm glad to see didn't get a mention... HA!)

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Rocksmith? Never heard of it. Sounds like just another... wait... is he...?

OH. MY. GOD.

EDIT: With The Elder Scrolls V on the way, I didn't think I had room to be excited about anything else. I might just burst.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Dark Souls and Skyrim are my two most anticipated games, im getting a ton of new hardware for my PC for Skyrim[footnote]My PC has been needing an upgrade for a while now, Skyrim just happens to be the game that pushes that need over the precipice[/footnote] and probably going to get a new PS3 for Dark Souls as im moving out of my Dads house and therefor will lose the use of my brothers one.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I really liked Space Marine. The demo levels were pretty tame in their scope but the combat was awesome and visceral.

The Old Republic was a big highlight for me as well and I think TERA might be a solid title whenever it comes out.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
I can't wait for Bioshock: Infinite.

Gunfights and rollercoasters in the sky, oh my!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I disappoint at the lack pf Space Marine. Besides that, a wonderful list. Can't wait for Battlefield 3 as well!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
I could see why people who actually attended E3 would be so impressed by BF3. Apparently, there was some really good hands-on stuff.

However, the gameplay footage they showed at the EA press conference was just tanks. And, you know what, I like tanks. But that didn't look exciting, fun, hell, it didn't look like anything. Were we supposed to marvel over the technicalities or something? Boo-hoo.

Azaraxzealot said:

it will be the most underrated game of the year thanks to Cash-In of Duty (which i'm glad to see didn't get a mention... HA!)

I have no idea how you did it, but you managed to encompass most of the things I hate about this community in two measly sentences. Bravo, sir.

I bet you felt really proud of yourself when you came up with Cash-In of Duty. Tell me, do you by any chance still spell Microsoft like "M$"?

What was that thing you typed even supposed to mean? Underrated? They don't compete in the same field, they are different fucking genres. Nobody compares Saints Row to Call of Duty.

Was Saints Row 2 by any chance underrated? Do you even know what that means? Did you see what the Escapist thinks of SR2, especially in comparison with GTA IV.

I'm guessing you meant that because of CoD: MW3, SR3 will underperform in sales, but I guess I'll probably never know and I really don't want to.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I've got my hype on for Bioshock Infinite and Mass Effect 3. Vaguely interested in Skyrim.

As for the rest... meh. A few mildly promising morsels, but nothing memorable.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
I could see why people who actually attended E3 would be so impressed by BF3. Apparently, there was some really good hands-on stuff.

However, the gameplay footage they showed at the EA press conference was just tanks. And, you know what, I like tanks. But that didn't look exciting, fun, hell, it didn't look like anything. Were we supposed to marvel over the technicalities or something? Boo-hoo.

Azaraxzealot said:

I have no idea how you did it, but you managed to encompass most of the things I hate about this community in two measly sentences. Bravo, sir.

I bet you felt really proud of yourself when you came up with Cash-In of Duty. Tell me, do you by any chance still spell Microsoft like "M$"?

What was that thing you typed even supposed to mean? Underrated? They don't compete in the same field, they are different fucking genres. Nobody compares Saints Row to Call of Duty.

Was Saints Row 2 by any chance underrated? Do you even know what that means? Did you see what the Escapist thinks of SR2, especially in comparison with GTA IV.

I'm guessing you meant that because of CoD: MW3, SR3 will underperform in sales, but I guess I'll probably never know and I really don't want to.
actually, i love microsoft, i see them as an innovative company of consumer friendly individuals. i just hate cash-in of duty because sometimes games get delayed or otherwise suffer from its success. it's also put the industry into a state of creative bankruptcy due to the massive piles of money it makes.

and by underrated, i mean it won't sell as well as it should. GTA 4 is one of the best-selling games of all time. Saints Row is only above a million sales and suffers from lower review scores.

How cash-in of duty affects Saints Row even though they are not in the same fields? simple. the media blitz for cash-in of duty completely eclipses that of saints row: the third, causing less sales and maybe even a delay just so it doesn't have to compete with cash-in of duty's launch window.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
actually, i love microsoft, i see them as an innovative company of consumer friendly individuals. i just hate cash-in of duty because sometimes games get delayed or otherwise suffer from its success. it's also put the industry into a state of creative bankruptcy due to the massive piles of money it makes.
Oh, so your hatred for it has nothing to do with the actual games. It's just that it "hurts the industry!!11!1111". 'kay then.

Azaraxzealot said:
and by underrated, i mean it won't sell as well as it should. GTA 4 is one of the best-selling games of all time. Saints Row is only above a million sales and suffers from lower review scores.
Wait... so? The review scores are determined by sales? Or the sales are determin... what?!

What. does CoD. have to do. with SR2 review scores? If nothing, then it has NOTHING to do with it being underrated.

Also, 83 on Metacritic works fine for SR2, thank you very much.

Azaraxzealot said:
How cash-in of duty affects Saints Row even though they are not in the same fields? simple. the media blitz for cash-in of duty completely eclipses that of saints row: the third, causing less sales and maybe even a delay just so it doesn't have to compete with cash-in of duty's launch window.
You know what other game you could say that about? SKYRIM. BF3. ME3.

Face it, there's nothing wrong about the apparent lack of exposure SR3 gets, provided it's a game from a series you enjoy.

Also...

Azaraxzealot said:

Do I sense someone trying too hard?

If you're trying to troll me, it's not working. Maybe you can make a post in lieu with your previous one, that seemed to get me more riled up. If you're trying to be funny... I think you've guessed what I think of that.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:

I don't really understand why people feel the need to do this. The Call of Duty games are by all respects (including numerous articles in gaming journals and entertainment journals extolling the virtues of the game), considered very well made games. You don't like the COD series, we get it. Why do you feel the need to bash it every chance you get? Because it is popular? This makes no sense to me.

Also, Saints Row the Third won't be underrated by any means. I'm fairly certain anything with a 3 after it's title, is selling well enough to be considered mainstream.

Okay, wait, you respond to these things, let's see...

Azaraxzealot said:
i just hate cash-in of duty because sometimes games get delayed or otherwise suffer from its success. it's also put the industry into a state of creative bankruptcy due to the massive piles of money it makes.
You really should back up your baseless accusations with some citations.

I have 2 other problems with this statement.

1. Any game can suffer from the success of a big franchise. In business, if you make the decision to go up against a juggernaut of a series, say something like Elder Scrolls, then you have to know your game is going to be eclipsed. In my opinion, the game industry is suffering more from the archaic idea that games are like toys and thus must be released in the fall to get into the Christmas season because the only people who buy games are parents who get them for their children. This is a ridiculous model. Games are just like movies and more blockbusters should be released all year round. If the developers were smarter with their release schedules, I don't think they'd have as big a problem. But they are stuck in this mindset, and have been for as long as I have been gaming.

2. Have you seen the game slate for this year? Maybe we aren't looking at the same E3, but I fail to see how the gaming industry is in a "state of creative bankruptcy." Really now? Ubisoft could have been the only company coming out with new games and I'd still doubt this proclamation that gaming innovation is dying.

Lower review scores are warranted. I love Saint's Row 2, but it is a buggy fucking mess. I pretty much counted on at least one crash every 1.5 hours. That is unacceptable. GTA4 didn't have that problem at all. There is also something to be said about the depth of GTA4's general storytelling. While SR2 was funny fluff, it was still fluff. Most of the reviews I read admitted that. They also still suggested people buy it.

If they delay it, that would be a smart move. I plan to buy both. I know I'm not the only one. Some people might have difficulty buying all the games they want to this fall. Spreading them out to get the most sales is not showing how much your game will fail, it's smart business sense.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
meganmeave said:
Azaraxzealot said:

I don't really understand why people feel the need to do this. The Call of Duty games are by all respects (including numerous articles in gaming journals and entertainment journals extolling the virtues of the game), considered very well made games. You don't like the COD series, we get it. Why do you feel the need to bash it every chance you get? Because it is popular? This makes no sense to me.

Also, Saints Row the Third won't be underrated by any means. I'm fairly certain anything with a 3 after it's title, is selling well enough to be considered mainstream.

Okay, wait, you respond to these things, let's see...

Azaraxzealot said:
i just hate cash-in of duty because sometimes games get delayed or otherwise suffer from its success. it's also put the industry into a state of creative bankruptcy due to the massive piles of money it makes.
You really should back up your baseless accusations with some citations.

I have 2 other problems with this statement.

1. Any game can suffer from the success of a big franchise. In business, if you make the decision to go up against a juggernaut of a series, say something like Elder Scrolls, then you have to know your game is going to be eclipsed. In my opinion, the game industry is suffering more from the archaic idea that games are like toys and thus must be released in the fall to get into the Christmas season because the only people who buy games are parents who get them for their children. This is a ridiculous model. Games are just like movies and more blockbusters should be released all year round. If the developers were smarter with their release schedules, I don't think they'd have as big a problem. But they are stuck in this mindset, and have been for as long as I have been gaming.

2. Have you seen the game slate for this year? Maybe we aren't looking at the same E3, but I fail to see how the gaming industry is in a "state of creative bankruptcy." Really now? Ubisoft could have been the only company coming out with new games and I'd still doubt this proclamation that gaming innovation is dying.

Lower review scores are warranted. I love Saint's Row 2, but it is a buggy fucking mess. I pretty much counted on at least one crash every 1.5 hours. That is unacceptable. GTA4 didn't have that problem at all. There is also something to be said about the depth of GTA4's general storytelling. While SR2 was funny fluff, it was still fluff. Most of the reviews I read admitted that. They also still suggested people buy it.

If they delay it, that would be a smart move. I plan to buy both. I know I'm not the only one. Some people might have difficulty buying all the games they want to this fall. Spreading them out to get the most sales is not showing how much your game will fail, it's smart business sense.
but i'd rather not wait to hit people with giant purple dildos and shoot people into skyscrapers just so all the high school kids can go "heh heh, DOOD! i totally knifed that guy what was about to kill me, yo!"

and if saints row 2 was crashing every 1.5 hours you must have had a bad copy or a bad port, because my xbox version never crashed.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
but i'd rather not wait to hit people with giant purple dildos and shoot people into skyscrapers just so all the high school kids can go "heh heh, DOOD! i totally knifed that guy what was about to kill me, yo!"
This here, this is a prime example of "What is this? I don't even?"

In the same sentence you sing the praises of bashing people with dildos you belittle the COD audience by calling them teenagers.

But since you wrote this sentence, perhaps you need it's ridiculousness explained to you:

1. Bashing people with dildos is apparently not appealing to the teen demographic. Really?

2. For some reason, teenagers speak in a mixture of English cockney, Prinny speak, Beavis and Butthead laugh and... I believe that is early 90s ghetto vernacular. Nice.

3. I am about as far from being a high school kid as one on the Escapist gets. I know at least a dozen people who play the COD series who aren't "high school kids."

and if saints row 2 was crashing every 1.5 hours you must have had a bad copy or a bad port, because my xbox version never crashed.
Because if it didn't happen to you, then your experience is the only one that matters?

Sorry, but the game was buggy. as. hell. I played it on Xbox, as did my older brother. We both had identical problems.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
meganmeave said:
Azaraxzealot said:
This here, this is a prime example of "What is this? I don't even?"

In the same sentence you sing the praises of bashing people with dildos you belittle the COD audience by calling them teenagers.

But since you wrote this sentence, perhaps you need it's ridiculousness explained to you:

1. Bashing people with dildos is apparently not appealing to the teen demographic. Really?

2. For some reason, teenagers speak in a mixture of English cockney, Prinny speak, Beavis and Butthead laugh and... I believe that is early 90s ghetto vernacular. Nice.

3. I am about as far from being a high school kid as one on the Escapist gets. I know at least a dozen people who play the COD series who aren't "high school kids."

Because if it didn't happen to you, then your experience is the only one that matters?

Sorry, but the game was buggy. as. hell. I played it on Xbox, as did my older brother. We both had identical problems.
oh you're talking about saints row 1? yeah, THAT one was a lot worse than saints row 2 (even though it was still pretty good, all things considered). plus, it tried to be a straight-up GTA clone, so the criticisms are justified. but in saints row 2? all the criticisms i hear are kinda drowned out when i'm skydiving naked out of a jet into the middle of a group of old ladies that i then slap into space with my giant foam hand flipping them off at the same time.

and as for the first response? i could always take the "moviebob" route and refer to the demographic as "douchebags".

it's a simple fact that most people who play cash-in of duty are between the ages of 12 and 18 (if statistics are to be believed)

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
oh you're talking about saints row 1? yeah, THAT one was a lot worse than saints row 2 (even though it was still pretty good, all things considered). plus, it tried to be a straight-up GTA clone, so the criticisms are justified. but in saints row 2? all the criticisms i hear are kinda drowned out when i'm skydiving naked out of a jet into the middle of a group of old ladies that i then slap into space with my giant foam hand flipping them off at the same time.
No, I'm talking about both of them. Both Saint's Row games are buggy as hell. The freezing up issue is in particular reference to SR2. A simple google search will show you that I am indeed, not the only one who had this problem. Here, I'll help you out with that.

http://www.google.com/search?q=saints+row+2+freezing

and as for the first response? i could always take the "moviebob" route and refer to the demographic as "douchebags".
Yes, because Moviebob is so damned respectable on that front.

it's a simple fact that most people who play cash-in of duty are between the ages of 12 and 18 (if statistics are to be believed)
I might be inclined to be believe such statistics if you show them to me. Otherwise, I call shenanigans on this here statement. It is not a simple fact if you cannot back it up with sources. At this point, your assertion is pure conjecture. Conjecture I might add, based on no facts whatsoever, which makes you seem all the sillier and less reliable for making such assertions.

Even if the sales do trend steeply to a teenage demographic, which I doubt, if 30% of the millions of people who bought the game are over twenty, then that means that of the 7 million people who bought Black Ops on the first day(see here, this is a citation and how it's done. [http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Sets-Single-Day-Sales-Record/7801]) then that means that roughly 2.1 million people who bought the game on launch day are not teenagers. That's an awful lot of people you are lumping in with your generalization, which again, is completely unfounded by any factual source.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
meganmeave said:
Azaraxzealot said:
No, I'm talking about both of them. Both Saint's Row games are buggy as hell. The freezing up issue is in particular reference to SR2. A simple google search will show you that I am indeed, not the only one who had this problem. Here, I'll help you out with that.

http://www.google.com/search?q=saints+row+2+freezing

Yes, because Moviebob is so damned respectable on that front.

I might be inclined to be believe such statistics if you show them to me. Otherwise, I call shenanigans on this here statement. It is not a simple fact if you cannot back it up with sources. At this point, your assertion is pure conjecture. Conjecture I might add, based on no facts whatsoever, which makes you seem all the sillier and less reliable for making such assertions.

Even if the sales do trend steeply to a teenage demographic, which I doubt, if 30% of the millions of people who bought the game are over twenty, then that means that of the 7 million people who bought Black Ops on the first day(see here, this is a citation and how it's done. [http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Sets-Single-Day-Sales-Record/7801]) then that means that roughly 2.1 million people who bought the game on launch day are not teenagers. That's an awful lot of people you are lumping in with your generalization, which again, is completely unfounded by any factual source.
I believe this was it. [NLmsiaN5dZM]

if you look at the trailer's statistics you'll see it's mostly watched by 13-17 year olds, so i can assume that mostly 13-17 year olds like (and therefore play) cash-in of duty. also, in a survey i conducted at my little brother's high school juxtaposed with the results of surveying those at my college it's safe to say that in high school, the kids are playing cash-in of duty, and in college, the people are playing battlefield.

i can't provide links on those (and i'm sure you'll call shenanigans on that too just to troll me) but i can tell you the numbers speak for themselves. Plus whenever my brother plays online whenever anyone talks they're high-pitched and insulting people's mothers non-stop.