Speculation Swirls Around Unannounced BioWare Project

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Speculation Swirls Around Unannounced BioWare Project

As if it doesn't have enough on the go already, it looks like BioWare [http://www.bioware.com] might be working on a new, "unannounced 'AAA' project."

Things are busy at BioWare. Star Wars: The Old Republic [http://dragonage.bioware.com/]. You'd think that would be enough to keep the team hopping but a resumé posted by a former employee of the company has led to speculation that it may have one more unannounced game up its sleeve.

Christopher Tudor Smith's LinkedIn profile [http://www.linkedin.com/pub/christopher-tudor-smith/2/109/339] lists him as a "Principle [sic] Lead Designer" at BioWare from September 2007 to April 2009. In that time, it says, he worked on "an unannounced 'AAA' project. Responsibilities include the creation of a new IP and managing a team of designers, writers and level designers."

A new IP, eh? As GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/rumor-control/909119209/26924504/bioware-working-on-unannounced-aaa-project.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=topstory&tag=topstory;title] notes, Smith left the company in April, well after all of BioWare's currently-known projects were revealed to the public. If there is any truth to this, then, the project would be something still under wraps. Whatever it is, it will no doubt involve sex and the death of a major NPC. Let the guessing games begin!

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Shouldn't the game be near finished before slapping a Triple A title on it? Other than that Bioware is the last developer not to let me down at some point or another. So I am excited.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
BioWare have failed at basic secret-keeping. They should've asked him (nicely) if he'd say Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age.

A Neverwinter Nights 3 would be nice.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I don't know whether a sequel would count as a new IP, but another, improved and current-gen Jade Empire game wouldn't go amiss...

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
squid5580 said:
Shouldn't the game be near finished before slapping a Triple A title on it? Other than that Bioware is the last developer not to let me down at some point or another. So I am excited.
Triple A refers more to budget than what comes of it, so that is known before the project is even begun...
Jamash said:
I don't know whether a sequel would count as a new IP, but another, improved and current-gen Jade Empire game wouldn't go amiss...
That would also count as a sequel, and no, neither would be a new IP...

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
SharedProphet said:
squid5580 said:
Triple A refers more to budget than what comes of it, so that is known before the project is even begun...
Jamash said:
That would also count as a sequel, and no, neither would be a new IP...
I guess that does make more sense than saying "it has an impossibly high budget." Just kinda threw me off there. Still have no doubts it will be a triple A title in terms of quality though. Just sounds a bit arrogant the way it is worded in the article.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Avernus said:
Or.... he forgot to update his resume.
Did you join for the sole purpose of peeing all over my parade?????

J/K

Welcome to the Escapist.

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
squid5580 said:
Avernus said:
Or.... he forgot to update his resume.
Did you join for the sole purpose of peeing all over my parade?????

J/K

Welcome to the Escapist.
:) Thanks for the welcome!

Not updating his resume was the very first thought I had (kinda betting I'm right), but I'd hope to be wrong, I throughly enjoy Bioware games.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
a game about the captain marvel family where you fight the monster society of evil with a Hulk: UD-like settings and sandbox elements......

just guessing

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
Assuming we are dealing with more than a case of an old resumé, which genres remain uncovered by BioWare's previous exploits? There is plenty of high fantasy with their D&D games, science fiction courtesy of Mass Effect, and an Asian-flavored fiction with Jade Empire. I would hope for something in the steampunk vein, personally, since Fallout has covered the post-apocalyptic setting for now.

Off topic, did anyone else notice that the Baldur's Gate party in the image would be really cranky? Depending on who exactly is the protagonist, you'd either have Jaheira and Montaron arguing, or Minsc and Edwin would be at one another's throats. Someone sure loves conflict . . .

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
nimrandir said:
Assuming we are dealing with more than a case of an old resumé, which genres remain uncovered by BioWare's previous exploits? There is plenty of high fantasy with their D&D games, science fiction courtesy of Mass Effect, and an Asian-flavored fiction with Jade Empire. I would hope for something in the steampunk vein, personally, since Fallout has covered the post-apocalyptic setting for now.

Off topic, did anyone else notice that the Baldur's Gate party in the image would be really cranky? Depending on who exactly is the protagonist, you'd either have Jaheira and Montaron arguing, or Minsc and Edwin would be at one another's throats. Someone sure loves conflict . . .
Steampunk you say? I realize that it wouldn't be new IP, but a redux of Arcanum would sure taste nice right about now.

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
I thought of the resume update thing too, but the article indicates that he left the company in April... I doubt he would've left without updating his resume.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Jamash said:
Seconded. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.119321] A sequel would be just the thing for the series: it could get rid of all the flaws I found with the original.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Khell_Sennet said:
Also, Maly, how in the hell did you scry my castle? I thought I had wards to counter that. Or did you sneak a camera satellite into the space around Toril?
All seeing, all knowing, etc.

As long as we're wildly speculating, which I always enjoy, I'll toss in my own "hope." I'm torn, actually. Baldur's Gate 3 would be wildly awesome, because the BG franchise is one of my three alternating-favourite games of all time and more of it would totally rock my shit. Except... Baldur's Gate 2 ended so perfectly and so definitively. Would I really want to mess with that?

My real pick would have to be a new Planescape game. I realize that Planescape: Torment was actually done by Black Isle and not BioWare, but it was an Infinity Engine game so I'm going with it. I think I would literally weep tears of joy and gratitude if that happened.

(Realistically... yeah, the guy probably just forgot to update his resume. Hey, dare to dream.)

Gildedtongue

Nov 9, 2007
Triple A project?

I know, it's an RPG set in modern times where you're a tow guy, a mechanic, or an insurance policy salesman and go on "quests" (called Dispatches in the game) to help motorists on the side of the road. Eventually you come across a man who deliberately sabotages cars, who at the end of act 2 is revealed to be your brother...

Okay, okay. Whatever it'll be, I'm sure it'll be good!