Breadbox64: A Twitter Client For Your Commodore 64

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Breadbox64: A Twitter Client For Your Commodore 64

Do you adore your 64 and want to tell the world? Then you need Breadbox64, a Commodore 64 [http://www.twitter.com] that lets users take part in the microblogging phenomenon on a computer that's old enough to have children.

You can Twitter from your cellphone, but have you ever wondered if you can Twitter from your C64? The answer is yes, you can, with Contiki [http://www.vandenbrande.com/wp/2009/06/breadbox64-a-twitter-client-for-the-c64/], an open source operating system for "memory-efficient networked embedded systems."

"With Breadbox64 you can post status messages and view your friends timeline," Van den Brande wrote on his website. "The timeline refreshes every two minutes. After starting you provide your Twitter username and password separated by a colon. After pressing enter, the timeline is retrieved and shown. At the bottom of the screen there is an input field for you to type a status message. Pressing enter will post that message to Twitter."

What's the point? I look at it as rather like Mount Everest: It's there. People who still have a functional Commodore 64 kicking around the house are probably the sort of enthusiast tinkerers to whom a project like this would seem like an absolutely fantastic way to blow an afternoon or two. Remember, too, that there was a time when the C64 wasn't just an early PC, it was magic on your television screen; for some guys, that feeling never completely went away.

Not that I can really relate; this sort of technical jibba-jabba is way beyond me. "RR-Net daughterboard" and "network embedded systems?" I'm still trying to get a grip on Twittering on a real PC, after finally signing up last night. (And you can rest assured that I would never use an opportunity like this to shamelessly plug my newfound Twitification by pointing out that you can follow me simply by clicking this link [http://twitter.com/Malygris].) But if you're an old-time Commodore fan with a technical bent, Breadbox64 might be right up your alley.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Wow. This... this is beyond "old-school". This is "hanging-out-with-Plato-and-Socrates-old-school".

Telling a cell-phone-toting 13-year-old today that we used to have to save programs on cassette tapes would get you the same slack-jawed stare that telling the owner of a brand-new C64 that, in one generation, we'd carry around computers a thousand times more powerful in our pockets would've.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
First reaction: The things people will do for that powerful force known only as nostalgia.

Second reaction: Actually, this is pretty awesome.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
If I had a C64 I would run this. Sadly, I do not.

Instead of quoting in this thread, please use @username instead.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Go C64! Keep showing us your POWAH!

I like stories like this. It gives the techie in me fantasies...

dorm41baggins

Feb 24, 2009
Rather than use specialized hardware, wouldn't it have been both easier and more marketable (to the huge user base of Commodore enthusiasts ) to write a BBS-style front-end to twitter that runs on a more modern platform and then utilize the 1650/1660 300-baud modem or a null-modem cable with a simple terminal program running on the actual C64?

I mean, if you're going to provide a C64 user with Twitter capability, why not make sure that your solution uses the most common peripherals instead of some specialty stuff?

Please don't hurt me. :)

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
They're probably too busy doing "real" computing, maintaining COBOL code for mainframes or something like that.
Those guys doing "real" computing must really hate themselves.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Malygris said:
Shamelessly plug my newfound Twitification by pointing out that you can follow me simply by clicking this link [http://twitter.com/Malygris].
I feel badly for the varmints.
Canada has more red necks than we like to admit to the world. Unfortunately...

OT: Wouldn't twitting on your C64 be harder than doing it on your PC? Just sayin', if you have the technical know-how to set something like this up, there are lots of things more pressing that you could turn your skills towards.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Wow. This... this is beyond "old-school". This is "hanging-out-with-Plato-and-Socrates-old-school".
*kicks the wolf* C64 is the bomb dude. Don't knock SID or AGNUS!
Yeouch! Hey, I mean it in a good way- you're talking to someone whose socks were knocked off by that "Lemonade Stand" program back in the day!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I really have to say I love it when people do homebrew projects on older technology. I mean granted I've never even touched a C64 but it's the spirit of innovation that makes this intriguing.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
I have a C64 around somewhere. But I don't have the cartridge or daughterboard needed to get it online. Or any particular interest in Twitter.

Apart from that, though, I'd be all over this ;)