Wisconsin Town Approves Land For D&D Creator's Memorial

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Wisconsin Town Approves Land For D&D Creator's Memorial

Town officials in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin have approved a plot of land for use in a memorial to deceased Dungeons & Dragons co-creator Gary Gygax.

Gygax, alongside Dave Arneson, designed the pen and paper roleplaying game in 1974 as an answer to the staid, military-focused strategy games of the time. The game was a huge success and in the decades since has served as a major influence on every aspect of pop culture, from movies to videogames to every fantasy novel that doesn't spring from the repressed fantasies of Mormon housewives [http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Book-1-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/0316160172].

Unfortunately, Gygax passed away in 2008 at the age of 69. If you were on the 'net that day, you likely recall the grim pall his passing cast across the entirety of geekdom [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81988-Gary-Gygax-Dies]. It was like the death of a Kennedy, only with a sharp increase in the number of pithy yet touching comments about rolling multi-sided die.

Since his passing, the Gygax Memorial Fund has been hard at work on plans to erect a memorial [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93642-Gygax-Family-Planning-Memorial-Statue-for-D-D-Creator] to the beloved geek demigod, and with the approval of that plot in Wisconsin, the proposal is one giant step closer toward immortalizing Gary Gygax.

The Fund's site explains:

The Gygax Memorial Fund has reached a huge milestone. We have been granted land for the memorial site at Donian Park. Donian Park is a four acre open space site which encompasses a wetland and the 100 year recurrence interval floodplain along the White River in downtown Lake Geneva.

It also details a relevant section of the minutes from a January City of Lake Geneva Board of Park Commissioners meeting:

Library Park was added to the application so that it reads both Donian Park and Library Park as a potential place for a monument. The design would include a castle turret with a bust on top and possibly have a dragon wrapped around the turret. A motion was made by the Mayor to approve the site in Donian Park, south of the walkway, on the southeast corner of Mill Creek. The footprint is not to exceed 10 feet by 10 feet. This was seconded by Phillips. Added to the motion was that Gygax should bring a detailed map to bring to the Council as well as a detailed statue design to come back to the Park Board for approval. Motion passed unanimously.

When I first started researching this news piece I was expecting the memorial to be a statue of Gygax, or maybe an obtuse sculpture of a d20 [http://www.google.com/search?q=d20&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1308&bih=685] with a tasteful plaque. Then I read the minutes and find out the memorial is going to be a castle with a dragon wrapped around the base and a Gygax bust on the top.

For anyone else, that might be a tacky concept, but in Mr. Gygax's case, I think the memorial's inherent geekery is both an apropos tribute to the man, and a lovely way to continue his lifelong quest to inspire people toward the fantastic.

Source: Slashdot [http://www.gygaxmemorialfund.com/index.php/2-uncategorised-uncategorised/9-land-in-donian-park]

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
When I die I hope a castle memorial with a dragon and my bust at the top is also considered appropriate. Here's to you Gygax!

darkbshadow

Nov 9, 2006
Wow really. That sounds amazing!! I never though this would happen but when that's done I'll actually want to visit Wisconsin.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
Couldn't be more proud to be a resident of WI well that and the packers. Besides that we got nothing...moo

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
My gaming group www.quiltcityogres.com is in the planning stages of a road trip movie / event to game at the base of the statue.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Oooh... The night guards for the memorial could be Grues.

Granted, they aren't from D&D, but still, cool idea.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Money well spent Wisconsin. Nerds from miles around will come to visit the memorial.

Sidrat

Jan 18, 2011
you got harley davidson, serial killers and a pretty good beer. Seriously what comes out of Wisconsin is surprising (even The Fonze!).

It's a really good thing and I hope it takes up all of it's 10 x 10 footprint allowance as that could be a GREAT big monument. Do we need to see his head though? Perhaps we could walk up the interior and see the bust on a plinth. Perhaps we'll need to roll three 20d and go back the number of steps should we roll two doubles :D

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
Mayor: Roll for a diplomacy check - 1d20.

GMF: Hah! 20! Critical success!

Mayor: Curse you, Gygax!

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Right on! While I don't play D&D anymore this man made a whole industry! Props to him and all the cool ideas that came after. I hope his family likes the memorial.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
There's already a virtual memorial to Gary Gygax in Delera's Graveyard in Dungeons and Dragons Online. There's also one to Dave Arneson in the Ruins of Threnal. The Delera pack and the Threnal pack have voiceovers done by Gygax and Arneson respectively, too.

Still, pretty cool.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
If I ever get to Wisconsin again I will be stopping by to see it and roll some dice against the bust for good luck.
You know if you rub your dice on the bust of Gary Gygax you get good luck.