Valve Preparing Biggest Team Fortress 2 Update Ever

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Valve Preparing Biggest Team Fortress 2 Update Ever

Valve trumpets the Team Fortress 2 Über Update as the most ambitious in the game's history.

If you're a Team Fortress 2 player, Valve is giving you some extreme love this week with what it calls the Über Update. Valve has been holding details about the update inside for months and says it's the "biggest, most ambitious update in the history of Team Fortress 2."

The company is bursting at the seams, so it'll gradually release details about the Über Update in the days prior to its June 23 release date. A few details have already been released in cryptic, not-cryptic-at-all fashion.

On the Team Fortress 2 blog, Valve gave four clues about one of the Über Update's surprises:

1.) It IS a "Meet the" short.
2.) It involves ONE of the two remaining classes.
3.) It's NOT the Pyro.
4.) It's the MEDIC.

Using my seasoned deductive skills, I have determined that Valve will release the Medic's "Meet the" short on June 23. These shorts are CG vignettes that focus on a single Team Fortress 2 class and are generally entertaining to watch.

Additionally, Valve has announced two class packs coming to the Über Update for the Spy and the Heavy. Valve also gave us a shot of a new map called Barnblitz, the barn capital of the world. It's like a barn playground.

To kick off the Über Update right, Valve is offering a week-long free "weekend" of Team Fortress 2 as well. Keep in mind that this is only the beginning of what the Über Update will offer, according to Valve. What other mysteries could it hold?

For more details go here [http://www.teamfortress.com/uberupdate/].

Jack Da Ripper

Mar 15, 2009
This should be interesting, out of some 500 hours of TF2 I have like an hour as the medic, maybe this new update will make me actually try him again

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
From the looks of the new Heavy weapons set, it looks like the Sandvich will have a new contender for the secondary lot with the new shotgun. And that new minigun looks awesome. I've always wondered what a silent spinning minigun would be like!

Corkydog

Aug 16, 2009
Theory: TF2 is going free 2 play.

Evidence: This would be a huge update, the ManCo store already exists, the game is already several years old so new copies sold is less and less likely, Valve recently said they are developing a f2p game or games, and Steam now has f2p functionality.

Oh, and TF2 has been used as a testing ground for Valve's wacky new ideas for a long time now, so if they were going to experiment, this would be the game to do it with.

Because dropping a free 2 play DotA 2 on us without at least trying out the concept in a safer environment is a tad risky.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Called it.

Apr 28, 2008
So psyched. Hopefully The Medic will also get some more lines, like all the other classes.

If only there was a group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-Team-Fortress-2-Group-PC] with it's own servers for Escapists to play on...

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
i am glad they are finally doing a new Meet the... but come on Valve is it really that hard to just do both classes and finish all the Meet the Team videos?

i man its been almost 4 fucking years...its not like this are too long or anything..what was the most recent one? spy i think which was what? at least 1-2 YEARS ago?!

better late than never but i feel sorry for the Pyro fans that will probably have to wait another couple of years lol

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Corkydog said:

Evidence: This would be a huge update, the ManCo store already exists, the game is already several years old so new copies sold is less and less likely, Valve recently said they are developing a f2p game or games, and Steam now has f2p functionality.

Oh, and TF2 has been used as a testing ground for Valve's wacky new ideas for a long time now, so if they were going to experiment, this would be the game to do it with.

Because dropping a free 2 play DotA 2 on us without at least trying out the concept in a safer environment is a tad risky.

Thoughts?
Dear god...

It all makes sense now.

The hats, everything...

Go tell /v/, quick! I want to see their reaction to the truth!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
3.) It's NOT the Pyro.
4.) It's the MEDIC.

Fucking cryptic as usual it seems.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
3.) It's NOT the Pyro.
4.) It's the MEDIC.

Using my seasoned deductive skills, I have determined that Valve will release the Medic's "Meet the" short on June 23.
Woah Tom,calm down, don't go jumping to conclusions.

Are you absolutely sure about this?

goldzabuza

Nov 20, 2009
Corkydog said:

Thoughts?
yes but then what will be the point of the free weekend?

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Will they be putting it out for Xbox?
ollylollylol.

EDIT: these new Capatchas can go fuck themselves.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'm okay with the game potentially going F2P as long as they don't get rid of the random drops.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
It seems kind of weird to say its the biggest update ever and the first thing they put out is new gear for the classes that isn't radically different from what they originally had, like the individual class updates. Still...

I love Team fortress 2. So. Freaking. Much.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Corkydog said:

Thoughts?
But...what about the people who paid?
O.T. can't wait for it to come out I play heavy

Corkydog

Aug 16, 2009
goldzabuza said:
Corkydog said:

Thoughts?
yes but then what will be the point of the free weekend?
Pure speculation, but something along the lines of "Oh, and that Weeklong Free Weekend? Continued indefinitely"

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Irridium said:
So psyched. Hopefully The Medic will also get some more lines, like all the other classes.

If only there was a group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-Team-Fortress-2-Group-PC] with it's own servers for Escapists to play on...
It's a damn shame that no-one is ever on the damned server. (The alpha server, not the UK, I don't generally have good ping with servers across the ocean.)

At least not when I check...

Corkydog

Aug 16, 2009
Golem239 said:
Corkydog said:

Thoughts?
But...what about the people who paid?
O.T. can't wait for it to come out I play heavy
They shall be rewarded with many a rare cosmetic item. And maybe $40 worth of credit in the store.