My Little Ponies Throw Down in Fan-Made Fighter

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
My Little Ponies Throw Down in Fan-Made Fighter

If Street Fighter took place in the land of Equestria, it would look like this.

The internet really loves the new My Little Pony series. No, the internet really, really loves the new My Little Pony series [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109875-In-the-Grim-Darkness-of-the-Future-There-Are-Only-Ponies]. So, you know, it was only a matter of time before we saw an ambitious fan-made videogame starring those adorable little residents of Ponyville.

This is My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic, a 2D fighter designed by a team of volunteers calling themselves "Mane6," starring the cast of the series. It's fairly early-on in development - the footage you see here to the right is "PreAlpha" footage, just used to show how the game's fighting engine handles things like launches and juggles, which every good fighting game should have.

Sadly, the video here only only gives us a glimpse of how Applejack plays, but the creators say [http://www.ponychan.net/chan/collab/res/5925.html] that the final product will have 17 playable fighters in all. However, they also say that the main six - Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie - will be "playable at launch," so presumably they'll be patching everyone else in later. Online play will also be supported.

As someone who loves fighting games and who also has a not-too-secret love for My Little Pony, I think this is totally super-sweet. It looks like the engine works well, the characters' animations and backgrounds fit perfectly with the look of the show, and Applejack's bluegrass rock theme (composed by RainbowCrash88 [http://www.youtube.com/user/RainbowCrash88]) sounds fantastic.

Hasbro has been pretty lenient thus far about MLP fan projects, so hopefully the Mane6 team won't get a surprise Cease & Desist anytime soon. Hell, if nothing else this could pave the way for Hasbro vs. Capcom, right?

Since we here at The Escapist just love our ponies of all shapes and sizes, we wish these fans luck. Personally, I can't wait to main Rarity. She's clearly the best pony and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

Read more about the project in the official FAQ [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bM4YYROTn6_qpjPFj79HEbX5uPMSQ0nqdGBtmmDS3kc/edit?authkey=CJ6llacB&hl=en_US&pli=1].

(Thanks to Paul Brown for sending this in!)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Totally maining Applejack, and sub-ing Rarity.

Wonder what the Tier List will be like?

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I bet Rainbow Dash will have some brutal air combos. Probably maining her.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Gonna have to mane Fluttershy myself...I wonder if "The Stare" will be an attack...

Oh, and...
John Funk said:
Hell, if nothing else this could pave the way for Hasbro vs. Capcom, right?
Yes, please!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I would pay money to buy a console port of this. Screw all this Tekken, Soul Caliber nonsense!

Also, as long as there is some kind of Hadouken style friendship rainbow beam attack then I'm sold!

Like this;

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
Never really been one for fighters but hell, I'm a brony so I'd give this a try. I wonder if Any of Fluttershy's specials would involve summoning the dragon?

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009

They're putting effort into it atleast, more then the regular flash fighting games you usually find xD

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
bobby1361 said:
Icon for Grannys-smith is Applejack though!

I like the look of this..Can't imagine Fluttershy doing it though.
Fluttershy summons animals to her aid, super combo summons the dragon in the cave...I hope those guys read this...xD

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008

starwarsgeek said:
Gonna have to mane Fluttershy myself...
Exactly this. Or possibly Pinkie Pie.

If I mane Pinkie Pie, I'll have to sub Twilight Sparkle, since I'm somehow shipping them. (It was an accident, honest.)

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
"If you love Ponies you'll love making them beat the ever loving friendship out of each other!"

This does look pretty awesome though for a fan-made game-who to play as......

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
BY EQUESTRIA!!! I havnt played a fighting game since Gektou Ninja Taisin 4 but this has taken me. Right Mac?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
bobby1361 said:
Icon for Grannys-smith is Applejack though!
Granny Smith? You mean the palette-swapped Applejack?

(Applejack is apparently the only playable character, so far.)

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
This is an awesome idea. If they patched Psychoshy and Pinkamenia into the game as two of the 17 or as special attacks, the game would be definitely be about 20% cooler. Regardless, I am a contented brony.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I've never even seen the show but I know of Spike, so if he's in it, I might just have to try this.
It'd be like playing as Spyro and Gon from Tekken at the same time.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
John Funk said:
Personally, I can't wait to main Rarity. She's clearly the best pony and anyone who disagrees is wrong.
<youtube=oaVg7pTbKEI>

I'll pop by and Fluttershy everything to death, and I fully expect her to say "yay" when she wins.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
JediMB said:

starwarsgeek said:
Gonna have to mane Fluttershy myself...
Exactly this. Or possibly Pinkie Pie.

If I mane Pinkie Pie, I'll have to sub Twilight Sparkle, since I'm somehow shipping them. (It was an accident, honest.)
Maybe they will have special moves depending on who your fighting... NO, I WILL NOT BOARD THIS BOAT SIR!!!

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
I already caught this video on The Escapists MLP ^~^, it's so awesome >~<! I have a new found respect for you Mr. John Funk.