Make a Game, Win $100k

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Make a Game, Win $100k

Entries are now being accepted for the 2012 Indie Game Challenge run by the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences.

Who here hasn't at least considered the idea of buckling down and making your own videogame? For me, the stumbling block was my complete lack of the coding fu necessary to even print my name on the screen using Basic. (Ok, I can do that.) But if you have the chops, and a great idea for a game design, you have until October 3rd to submit your game to the Academy's now-annual Challenge. All you need is a working beta copy of your game and a video pitching the concept, and, if picked, you might earn the grand prize of $100,000 in cash and scholarships for the SMU Guildhall game design program. The total prize pool available is $250,000, which I assume will be split among the top three finalists.

Previous challenges organized over the last two years have proved a success for generating excitement for independently created games. "Since we announced the kick-off of the Indie Game Challenge almost two years ago, the response from the development community has truly been extraordinary," said Martin Rae of Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences. "We have seen such a wide range of creativity and artistic talent from all over the world, and it is our hope that IGC continues to grow and attract the best and the brightest from the independent video game development community."

Finalists will be invited to Las Vegas to attend the DICE conference for the award ceremony, and their videos will be featured on GameStop.com where users will be able to vote for the People's Choice Award.

Maybe you're not gonna make the next Minecraft, but submitting your game to the 2012 Indie Game Challenge is certainly a good first step in making your dreams of making games for a living a reality.

Anybody want to be my code minion and make the game from the concept I have in my head? Elevator pitch: You're in a world beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Go!

For more information, head over to Indie Game Challenge website [http://www.indiegamechallenge.com].

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Sounds awesome, too bad I have no idea how to make a game :(
Some coder that needs an idea?

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Anybody want to be my code minion and make the game from the concept I have in my head? Elevator pitch: You're in a world beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Go!
Already been done. It was struck down with great vengeance and furious anger by some guy named "The Lord." Sounds like kind of a dick to me.

OT: Challenge accepted.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Somebody should enter Dwarf Fortress... And make a hugely detailed manual so people can actaully get into it.

Otherwise... Maybe Shores of Hazeron is an idea? It's fun and could use the money for better servers...(It's an science fiction first person MMO. Like SPORE but good)

Mar 9, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Your link is broken, you accidentally added The Escapist to the front of it.

OT: Shame, I just started writing out ideas for a nice new game. I doubt I'd be able to submit it this year, especially since I don't know how to code and have only started to learn how to create character models. There will always be next year, when I know how to code and can create smooth semi-professional models and need a fuck load of money.

LordSphinx

Apr 14, 2009
Nine Dots Studio will participate to this contest. My studio has been working on our first project for three months full time and our release will correlate with the submission deadline. We're pretty sure that we'll be among the finalists, but wouldn't go so far to say that we're sure to win. We'll definitely try though. I need that 100k to kick off the company!