227: Waggle Therapy

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Waggle Therapy

For patients recovering from debilitating injuries or illnesses, months of physical therapy can be a daunting prospect. But when it comes to alleviating the monotony of regular exercise, videogames may be able to help. Lauren Admire investigates how hospitals are using the Wii to aid in their patients' recovery.

Read Full Article

hansari

May 31, 2009
Video games have a tendency to become monotonous too...but I dunno, I haven't seen how they factored this into rehab first-hand or anything. If it works, then thats all that really matters...

Well I guess we have gone full circle now:

The 360 is a heart monitor and helps detects defects. [http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1925332,00.html]

The PS3 helps in understanding protein misfolding and other diseases. [http://news.cnet.com/PS3-owners-flock-to-health-research-program/2100-1043_3-6179187.html]

The Wii provides physical therapy. [http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2008-02-08-wii-rehabilitation_N.htm]

...oh wait...I guess we have our portable handhelds now...

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Im happy to hear that you dad is recovering well!
I like you article!
Its interesting to see how much games can actualy do for a person besides providing an escape from life or just enjoyment.
I hope more people will look at how Video Games can be put to use as a aid to people and stop focusing on them in a negative light.

General Thrax

Apr 15, 2009
This really is an interesting article. I had never thought about the WII being used as a therapy instrument. Now I just have one question. Why hadn't they thought of this before I severly damaged my wrist!? I could have been playing video games as part of my recovery!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
General Thrax said:
This really is an interesting article. I had never thought about the WII being used as a therapy instrument. Now I just have one question. Why hadn't they thought of this before I severly damaged my wrist!? I could have been playing video games as part of my recovery!
Ahh. it's not that bad. You'd probably just be playing the shitty games. Like how everyone still plays Wii Sports. For some reason...

darrinwright

Oct 1, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ahh. it's not that bad. You'd probably just be playing the shitty games. Like how everyone still plays Wii Sports. For some reason...
Hey, leave the fanboy-trolling out of this. The basis of the article is "video games help w/ therapy." There's plenty of other threads here to bash the Wii in.

Just sayin'.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
darrinwright said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Hey, leave the fanboy-trolling out of this. The basis of the article is "video games help w/ therapy." There's plenty of other threads here to bash the Wii in.

Just sayin'.
I thought s/he was just making a joke, myself.

But; what I like about this article is the potential practical implications for videogames. While this article is a little personal, it brings in enough outside information from other caregivers to demonstrate how important it is to provide different ways for patients to recover from surgery. Not everyone can or will respond to traditional methods of recovery so if something like this can be helpful then I figure that's awesome.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Video games have shown to be related to increased dopamine levels?
WHOO!! :D Yay! Scientific proof that video games make you happy!
And I'm glad your dad is doing well after surgery.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Ha, very nice. I have to say,

Getting back into shape after the surgery was especially tricky, since he ardently refused to join a gym.
I would also rather wither away than join a gym. I worked out at one for a few years, and it's the most boring activity I've ever taken place in. And I actually enjoy my boring, repetitive work, so that's saying a lot. Still can't get my head around the fact that people like it.
BehattedWanderer said:
Video games have shown to be related to increased dopamine levels?
WHOO!! :D Yay! Scientific proof that video games make you happy!
And I'm glad your dad is doing well after surgery.
Eh, anything that makes you happy increases your dopamine levels, from chocolate to cocaine. It's been known for decades.

And I'm glad your dad is doing well after surgery, as well... any cancer that can be safely removed from the body could have been much worse, no matter how bad it ended up being.

Disco_Godfather

Nov 18, 2009
I was thinking of buying a Wii for my mother. She's only 50, but she's already had a knee and a hip replaced (due to rheumatoid arthritis). Would anyone know if this would be a suitable gift or where I could find information on that? I'd hate to buy her a Wii only to find out that the various activities it provides would cause her to move in ways that would further damage her joints.