Wii U Fuddles Merits of Dragon Quest X Development

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Wii U Fuddles Merits of Dragon Quest X Development

The Wii U looks great and all, but what will it mean for the Wii's Dragon Quest X?

Wii development has sharply dropped off in recent months, primarily because Nintendo was hiding the Wii U [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110750-E3-Nintendos-New-Console-Is-The-Wii-U] behind that red curtain from Super Mario Bros. 3 that it's still using today. While many companies might be ending their time with the Wii, Square Enix is still in the process of developing Dragon Quest X for the console. So what does the Wii U mean for Dragon Quest X?

During a shareholder's meeting, Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada was asked about the merits of continuing to develop Dragon Quest X for the Wii, a system that in essence is on its way out. Reports had come out stating that Wada said Square Enix planned to make Dragon Quest X compatible with the Wii U in some manner. These reports have turned out to be false.

The truth of Wada's answer seems to have confirmed that Dragon Quest X will remain in development for the Wii. He actually said that Square Enix is doing "technical tests" to see about supporting the Wii U with other possible launch titles instead, not that Dragon Quest X would be made compatible.

Considering how we've been shown absolutely nothing involving Dragon Quest X yet, the game could end up being the Wii's swan song. If it takes long enough, it might be forced to make the jump to another platform. It would be a huge boon for Nintendo if Dragon Quest X made the jump to Wii U, but I'm sure Nintendo will make a few bucks having the game remain on the Wii too, just as long as the system is still in production.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/23/dqx_wiiu_clarification/]

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
The Wii is definitely going to be produced for a while.

Plus, the Wii U is compatible with Wii games, correct?
I don't see the problem, but then again, I'm unaware of how some things in the world work.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Well, I don't know what to make of that really.

Considering the Wii U appears to have backwards compatibility, 'updating' it for the WiiU or not doesn't seem like it's a critical thing to consider either way.

I'm guessing it'd depend on how far along they are with it, because it's clear that assuming they release it before the Wii officially becomes obsolete, there will be plenty of people both with Wii's and those that might have bought Wii U's (without already owning a wii) that could potentially be able to play it.

Is it riskier to release something that looks outdated but which people can play regardless, or to try and upgrade it for a new system (knowing that means redoing much of the development work?)

You could draw a parallel with Zelda: Twilight Princess, which had it's control scheme adapted, but is at heart still a gamecube game. (And has a gamecube version to prove it.)

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
CrystalShadow said:

Considering the Wii U appears to have backwards compatibility, 'updating' it for the WiiU or not doesn't seem like it's a critical thing to consider either way.

I'm guessing it'd depend on how far along they are with it, because it's clear that assuming they release it before the Wii officially becomes obsolete, there will be plenty of people both with Wii's and those that might have bought Wii U's (without already owning a wii) that could potentially be able to play it.

Is it riskier to release something that looks outdated but which people can play regardless, or to try and upgrade it for a new system (knowing that means redoing much of the development work?)

You could draw a parallel with Zelda: Twilight Princess, which had it's control scheme adapted, but is at heart still a gamecube game. (And has a gamecube version to prove it.)
...Now I feel weird. I would have taken this to mean that the Wii U probably won't have backwards compatibility, but I totally forgot about the Z:TP ordeal.

...Well, if the Wii U really doesn't have BC, then I have no idea what it DOES have going for it. Probably won't be that much superior to the PS3/X360 technically, can only have one Wii U controller at a time, can't play DVDs, trying to move into the 'hardcore' crowd even though people already have a PS3/360 for those games and they don't even need to buy an entirely new system to play them...

Shiiiiiit, man. If I had stock in Nintendo, I would be hitting the 'ABORT! ABORT!' button right about now.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Of course it'll stay on the wii. Why rework things when what you have will be playable on the Wii U anyways?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
CrystalShadow said:

...Now I feel weird. I would have taken this to mean that the Wii U probably won't have backwards compatibility, but I totally forgot about the Z:TP ordeal.

...Well, if the Wii U really doesn't have BC, then I have no idea what it DOES have going for it. Probably won't be that much superior to the PS3/X360 technically, can only have one Wii U controller at a time, can't play DVDs, trying to move into the 'hardcore' crowd even though people already have a PS3/360 for those games and they don't even need to buy an entirely new system to play them...

Shiiiiiit, man. If I had stock in Nintendo, I would be hitting the 'ABORT! ABORT!' button right about now.
Well, that sounds pretty confusing.

As far as I can tell, the situation is like this:

The wii could play gamecube games, and you could use gamecube controllers and memory cards.

You couldn't use any wii peripherals (such as the classic controller, which has the same features as a gamecube controller overall) while you were playing a gamecube game, but quite a few Wii games allowed the use of gamecube controllers as a possible control scheme.

The press releases for the Wii U mention it working with Wii remotes, nunchuks, classic controllers, motionplus, and the balance board.
But no mention is made of gamecube controllers, nor do any images of the new console suggest it still has the ports for it.

Which leads to the conclusion that the Wii U uses the exact same controllers as the Wii does (not accounting for the touchscreen thing, which they say you can only have 1 of per console.
Specifically, they say you can sync 4 wiimotes + one WiiU touchscreen controller to it. - which is 5 controllers in total.)

Since the controllers are supported, it seems reasonable to assume Wii games still work. (and it has even been mentioned at least indirectly once or twice.)

So, the WiiU is backwards compatible with Wii games, but drops gamecube support.

Short Version:

Wii - plays gamecube and Wii games

Wii U - Plays Wii U games and Wii games.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah I don't see why SquareEnix both increase development cost and limit it's user base by updating it to be a WiiU game. People who are going to want to buy a Dragon Quest game, myself included, won't care what system we play it on as long as we get the game. If people like myself however are not an early adopter of the WiiU, then if they release it for that we won't be able to buy it.

This is a matter for Nintendo to be concerned about, not Square. A new Dragon Quest game exclusive to the WiiU would help Nintendo move consoles, but Square is definitely going to lose sales. So unless Nintendo wants to drop a load of money on their doorstep it should stick as a Wii game.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Eh...I have not been following but is the Wii U not backwards compatible? If it IS, then it doesnt matter. If its not...then Nintendo is stupid since people will want to still play their Wii games without having to have two systems hooked up.
Forget making it Wii U compatible. Just make it a Wii game that many might just play on the Wii U.
Systems always need their transition games. Those games that are obviously still stuck on the previous system. (Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero for the 360 are such games)

thewinner194

Nov 26, 2010
I'm not entirely sure it matters too much either way. I mean, they'll probably make more money putting on the Wii U, but it'll actually probably end up coming up sooner for the Wii (hopefully). So that's something.

theskadudeguy

Nov 19, 2010
I'm a little confused. Are developers going to drop the Wii as a platform and only work on titles for the Wii U? Because that will annoy A LOT of parents, old people and children. PErsonally I wont be getting the Wii U not until they can prove it will have some "non casual" games on it, I mean the Wii has only just got round to having DQX after all these years. My Wii lives in its box in a cupboard and I only bring it out if I feel like playing a quite game of bowling of SSB, which is possibly once a year.

It would be better if the Wii U controller was just a new add on to the Wii. Or is it and I've missed something here?

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Surprised to read that a 3rd party company is still developing for the Wii. It's been a while since a noteworthy game has come out on the system and despite Nintendo's best efforts to fool us with the public statement that they had not stopped supporting the wii (they were actually practicing the PR Technique:Flinging BS while smiling like you mean it), for all intents and purposes Nintendo stopped supporting the wii some time ago. I think I'll do the same; it's become nothing but a Netflix box for me.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Dragon Quest is my favourite RPG series, so whatever platform is goes to I'll buy it. I actually think it'd be a nice send-off for the Wii, it would probably still sell, possibly more. It's be better for Nintendo to have it on the Wii U, but that's why 3rd party is great, they don't have to care. I'd still prefer it for the DS.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
airrazor7 said:
Surprised to read that a 3rd party company is still developing for the Wii. It's been a while since a noteworthy game has come out on the system and despite Nintendo's best efforts to fool us with the public statement that they had not stopped supporting the wii (they were actually practicing the PR Technique:Flinging BS while smiling like you mean it), for all intents and purposes Nintendo stopped supporting the wii some time ago. I think I'll do the same; it's become nothing but a Netflix box for me.
Why would they stop developing it?
When the Wiiu comes out its not like the 86 MILLION wii consoles are going to explode or break. That means that there are at least that many possible customers even if not all of them buy it thats still a good number. Also whats to say this won't be a good game.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
There's something called installed base, you know...
With so much people owning a Wii there is the potential for this game to sell many, many million copies.

So who cares about the Wii U atm?

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Acidwell said:
never said they should stop making it and the dragon quest series has a big fan base along with a great reputation so definitely no negative comments about it from me.

Also, at the time of posting I was aware of other upcoming titles like legend of zelda: skyward sword and some multi-platform titles like NFSP: the Run and Spider-Man: Edge of Time. In retrospect, I think I was ranting because a few titles I was looking forward to on the wii maybe getting the "Only in Japan" stamp soon.

Will have to keep my rantings off of the internet in the future; have to leave ranting to the professionals.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
airrazor7 said:
Acidwell said:
never said they should stop making it and the dragon quest series has a big fan base along with a great reputation so definitely no negative comments about it from me.

Also, at the time of posting I was aware of other upcoming titles like legend of zelda: skyward sword and some multi-platform titles like NFSP: the Run and Spider-Man: Edge of Time. In retrospect, I think I was ranting because a few titles I was looking forward to on the wii maybe getting the "Only in Japan" stamp soon.

Will have to keep my rantings off of the internet in the future; have to leave ranting to the professionals.
Or you could just find someone who will pay you for them. And yeah until i learn to read Japanese i too get annoyed by that particular stamp.