Lawsuit Accuses Sony of Axing Security Staff Right Before SOE Hack

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Lawsuit Accuses Sony of Axing Security Staff Right Before SOE Hack

Sony allegedly covered its own back against hackers, but did very little for its customers.

A class action lawsuit relating to the attacks on Sony Online Entertainment has alleged that Sony not only didn't do enough to project customer data, it actually cut down its security staff, even though it knew that it was potentially at risk.

The suit suggests that Sony had experienced a number of smaller breaches prior to the attack in May, in which nearly hackers gained access to the user information for nearly 25 million user accounts. Apparently, this prompted Sony to install new firewalls to protect its own sensitive data, but not the data of its customers. What's more, according to a witness, Sony apparently axed a lot of security staff when it downsized more than 200 staff back in March [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108895-UPDATE-SOE-Closing-Studios-Cutting-205-Staff].

If these allegations are true - and "if" is the key word here at the moment - it could mean very bad things for Sony. It's one thing to have vulnerabilities in your network, but it's another to know that they're there and do nothing to protect your customers from having their details stolen, while simultaneously getting rid of staff that might have been able to prevent the attack, or at least help minimize its effects and help protect SOE's customers.

Source: Reuters [http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/06/24/oukin-uk-sony-breach-lawsuit-idUKTRE75N03520110624] via MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/45058/Sony-laid-off-security-staff-prior-to-PSN-hack?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mcvuk%2FoXMK+%28MCV%3A+games+industry+news%29]

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I'm going to need more info before I decide anything. Remember how Sony had "outdated" security? Turns out that "expert" was just speculating. So I'm going to reserve judgement.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
You can allege anything you want, until we really need more info there were a lot of rumors flying around when Sony got hacked that turned out to be false. Even if they did axe security that doesn't mean that they weren't planning or even beginning to upgrade customer security but until we get a lot more info this means very little.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Always people making predictions of doom and gloom after the doom and gloom has actually happened.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sony was hacked before but mentioned nothing about it, many companies get hacked and don't say jack shit about it. Hell, if the whole PSN decable wasn't as severe was it was, I wouldn't be surprised if even that wouldn't have been revealed.

Of course, as some others have said, the whole situation just muddled up whatever we were told, so as far as we know they could have had the most up to date security just before it and hired 1,000 people for the fuckall we know.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Seems completely plausible, when you got several hacks on your system and your employees don't know how to fix it heads will roll.

Even more interesting is the turn of events that followed, security staff gets axed and suddenly hackers manage to fully infiltrate every Sony system... surely noone from the former staff gave any insider info away.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I'm going to need more info before I decide anything. Remember how Sony had "outdated" security? Turns out that "expert" was just speculating. So I'm going to reserve judgement.
Agreed until there are actual, proveable, facts to any of these claims, I got nothing to say.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Yeah, but remember almost no site put out an article saying that? Sensationalist news is fun, isn't it? 90% of people at least still believe Sony is the devil and just left all their user info sitting in the bad part of town.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I suppose there will have to be an internal investigation into the matter due to the accusations. Expect the results of the investigation to be made public in 2015 at the earliest.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
I am not a Sony hater at all, but honestly, I hope this can some how be proven true. Not because I want to see Sony fall, but because I want to see this outrage the world and cause new legislation that punishes companies for being careless, and forces better protections for the customers.

I doubt it would happen, but it is a nice thought.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
koroem said:
I am not a Sony hater at all, but honestly, I hope this can some how be proven true. Not because I want to see Sony fall, but because I want to see this outrage the world and cause new legislation that punishes companies for being careless, and forces better protections for the customers.

I doubt it would happen, but it is a nice thought.
Thats my sentiments.

when a company gets hacked they should be forced to disclose that fact to all the people that has personal information in there trust as soon as the company realizes it. and not just and only when personal information being stolen is proven. reason is the people will know to start protecting themselves right away and to monitor bank and credit card transactions. It is completly unacceptable that a company can be hacked and take days and weeks before saying anything, every second they take to inform you is a second a thief can buy you a nice home entertainment system and you wouldnt know it until the bank sends you the statement. and its just as bad for passwords and linked email.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
A lawsuit eh? Sure, why the hell not, because those things go sooo smoothly and fixes everything....

Honestly I'm a little suspicious about the timing of this and I'm gonna wait until more information comes out before I make any judgement calls.
Generic Gamer said:
I doubt people will successfully claim for that, you can't establish backwards culpability like that. Besides, we don't know what the security workers were doing, they may have been sitting there twiddling their thumbs.
Yeah, for a bunch of security people to get fired like that is a little eyebrow raising.