No New Splinter Cell For PS3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No New Splinter Cell For PS3

Microsoft [http://www.ubi.com] platforms.

Conviction, the fifth game in the Splinter Cell series, has suffered numerous delays but is apparently back on track with Ubisoft Montreal and is scheduled for release later this year. The game has only been announced for the PC and Q&A [http://www.xbox.com] on the Ubisoft forums the company said it had no plans to release the game on other platforms.

"Splinter Cell: Conviction is a true Microsoft exclusive title and there are no plans to have Splinter Cell: Conviction on other platforms. There are several reasons behind this choice," the message said. "First of all, Splinter Cell games are historically linked with Microsoft platforms. The first Splinter Cell on the original Xbox was one of the first games to fully exploit the console's technical possibilities. At that time, Microsoft really believed in the game potential and provided strong support to promote it. So, there is a 'link of heart' between the franchise and the platform. Some games are like this (think of Final Fantasy [http://www.square-enix.com/na/title/finalfantasy/] for instance)."

"The second reason behind this choice is purely linked to production," the explanation continued. "Having a single target platform means that we can optimize the game even further, because we only have one type of - console - hardware to support."

The second reason makes sense; focusing development on one platform means you can, well, focus on it, bringing all your effort and resources to bear and hopefully coming up with a better game as a result. But the comment about having a historical link to Microsoft confuses me a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that every Splinter Cell game prior to Conviction has been released on numerous platforms, including the PS2 and PS3 [http://www.playstation.com]. So where does all that touchy-feely sentiment for Microsoft come from?

Whatever the case, it may not be all bad for PlayStation owners: After watching a promo video that promises to "redefine" the game by making it a faster, more action-oriented title, it appears that Sam Fisher: Ninja of the Future has turned into Sam Fisher: Generic Goon. So you may not actually be missing out on much. Pity.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=217883]

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
I thought we all knew this already? This is most likely due to Microsoft handing big wads of cash to Ubisoft making it exclusive, and forcing them to turn Fisher into Altair but more grungy.
Didn't Chaos Theory sell more on the Xbox then the PS2 plus with the online co-op and Add-ons?(though I don't recall if it had addons) My older bro will be happy to hear this. He loves Splinter Cell.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Well even if it's not my beloved stealth at least we will see what a modern 24 game could look like.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Armored Prayer said:
Another reason I'm lucky to have a 360. That really sucks for PS3 owners.
Assuming they had interest in the game. Still haven't beaten the first one (PC version though.) My approach to stealth is rather...conspicuous.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
So is microsoft's definition of an exclusive is that it comes out on Xbox and PC. Cause I'm not sure if that how their supposed to work. I mean I don't see KZ2 or Infamous on PC.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
bue519 said:
So is microsoft's definition of an exclusive is that it comes out on Xbox and PC. Cause I'm not sure if that how their supposed to work.
Good luck getting it to work on a PC without a Microsoft OS ;)

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
bue519 said:
So is microsoft's definition of an exclusive is that it comes out on Xbox and PC. Cause I'm not sure if that how their supposed to work. I mean I don't see KZ2 or Infamous on PC.
It's Microsoft, if it's only coming out on PC it still might as well be considered a Microsoft exclusive.

*sigh* ninja'd

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Sweet! More power to us 360 fanboys. :p

But seriously, this does make sense- not every traditionally exclusive title has to be made multiplatform, and it's really up to the owners of the franchise to decide what to do with it.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
NoMoreSanity said:
bue519 said:
Yes, it is considered a "Console Exclusive" and Microsoft practically owns PCs so yes, it considered Microsoft Exclusive if it's on PC, Xbox, or both.
The that makes me feel bad for 360 fans when their exclusives are nothing more than PC ports. I mean rally the only way you can judge a console is in its exclusives. I mean its just my opinion but if you offer a console version of a game and then a pc version. I'm going to go pc everytime, if only for the greater amount of community interaction with the game. I actually glad that microsoft didn't port halo 3 or GOW2 to the pc and actually gave people a reason to play the console.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
I could live with a Jason Bourne-styled Splinter Cell. After three games that relied entirely too much on trial-and-error stealth tactics, this could be a good change of pace for the series.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Ur...I always thought that Splinter Cell did stealth worst than Metal Gear Solid...and that is saying alot...

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
NoMoreSanity said:
bue519 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
bue519 said:
Yes, it is considered a "Console Exclusive" and Microsoft practically owns PCs so yes, it considered Microsoft Exclusive if it's on PC, Xbox, or both.
The that makes me feel bad for 360 fans when their exclusives are nothing more than PC ports. I mean rally the only way you can judge a console is in its exclusives. I mean its just my opinion but if you offer a console version of a game and then a pc version. I'm going to go pc everytime, if only for the greater amount of community interaction with the game. I actually glad that microsoft didn't port halo 3 or GOW2 to the pc and actually gave people a reason to play the console.
I don't see them as Ports, Microsoft own a huge portion of the PC market so of course they would want to release games on both consoles. As long as they aren't for PS3/Wii, I don't think they care.
Then that really only seems to be encouraging people to just get PS3 and PCs to play games. Sure you might miss a few exclusives but for the most part you won't miss any games. Plus accesories for the PC are much cheeper than the one on the 360. Hmmmm 10 bucks for a wireless router or 90 bucks? Decisions, decisions.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Wow and the blows just keep comin.

http://kotaku.com/5296566/activision-threatens-to-stop-supporting-sony-consoles

Oops already been covered by our crack newsteam. Don't know how I missed it. My bad.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Unfortuanly my stealth tactic in splinter cell sucks so I won't be getting this.