Psychologist Suggests Ditching Age Rating and Going With Content Instead

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Psychologist Suggests Ditching Age Rating and Going With Content Instead

According to one expert, age-based rating systems are too subjective to be really effective.

Douglas Gentile, head of the Media Research Lab at Iowa State University, says that rating systems that group media into age brackets are less useful than those that simply inform consumers of a game or a movie's content and then let them make up their own mind whether something is appropriate for them or their children.

Citing a study from the journal Pediatrics, Gentile said that there was disagreement over what the appropriate age for viewing certain content was. He said that around a third of the 700 parents asked in the survey thought that it was fine for children as young as six to watch footage of romantic kissing, for example, while more than a fifth thought the same content wasn't appropriate for children under the age of 13. He also noted that there were some topics that some parents felt very strongly about - such as depictions of homosexuality - and that a content-based system would inform parents that a game or movie might contain things they find objectionable and let them make informed decisions.

Gentile admits however, that his ideas are just the first step and there it would need a lot of work to turn it into a working rating system. The Pediatrics study used 37 distinct and detailed descriptors, terms like "disrespect toward a deity or sacred symbol's name" and "nonsexual partial nudity," which might be a little tricky to fit on the back of a game or movie's box. Gentile hoped that people from the entertainment industry would talk to leading child psychologists and work something out that could be applied to all forms of media.

"Parents say they really want ratings, but they don't really use them that much because they aren't accurate," he said. "The reason it matters so much is because research indicates when parents do use ratings, it's good for kids. They get into fewer fights &#91jand] have better grades in school. So, the better the ratings are the more power we've given to parents. And 'digital convergence' - the ability to consume the same media on a variety of devices nowadays - means now is the time to develop a rating system that is universal."

Although there's nothing wrong with looking at the rating system to see if it can be improved, Gentile's suggestions might prove to be a little too cumbersome to be workable. What's more, current rating systems like the ESRB and PEGI do actually include content descriptors with their ratings, although not to the degree of specificity that the Pediatrics study uses. Gentile's suggestion that the ratings would allow parents to shield their children from homosexuality is also a little troubling. It's a minor point, but rating systems should serve to inform and protect children from inappropriate material, not foster intolerance and close-mindedness.

Source: Tech News Daily [http://www.technewsdaily.com/univeral-media-ratings-based-on-content-2867/] via Game Politics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/06/23/douglas-gentile-parents-want-universal-ratings-minus-age-categories]

Sabazios

Mar 21, 2010
But that would involve thinking.

Honestly, the fact it takes a psychologist to say this doesn't say much for us.

Nothing will change, mark my words.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
In a perfect world, yes, that would work. But a lot of parents either don't care or just chose to remain oblivious to the current rating system, one that is left up to their discretion is just going to make the issue worse.

Ninjariffic

VP of Winning
Jan 24, 2008
If there's concern over fitting all of the descriptors on the back of the box, then don't put them on the box. The rating system can work with the retailers and have the descriptors tied to the bar code. All they would need is a cheap monochromatic screen with a couple of scroll buttons. They can scan the bar code and read all the descriptors.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
But videogames are for children! Who would put such disgusting things inside a childrens toy?!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
" He also noted that there were some topics that some parents felt very strongly about - such as depictions of homosexuality "

I wouldn't put that on the back of the box just to hammer the nail in on this subject for such morons.

Anyway, people should inform themselves if they want to know more. Enough is done already by retailers and ratings boards.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I've been playing M rated games since I was 8. Literally, my first AAA game was Diablo 2. Don't count all those Blood and clones, GTA, Heavy Metal FAKK and so on.

Admiral Crunch

Nov 25, 2010
In theory, this is a good idea. In practice however, it probably just wouldn't work out. People
care little about the rating system enough as is and this won't change that.
Because something works in theory, doesn't mean it will acually work out. Theory is a treacherous thing.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
It's a good method for our overly sensitive society. Sadly despite what surveys say most parents don't pay attention to ratings (More so on video games than movies) I think it would be a good thing for the small percentage that really does care.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Ninjariffic said:
If there's concern over fitting all of the descriptors on the back of the box, then don't put them on the box. The rating system can work with the retailers and have the descriptors tied to the bar code. All they would need is a cheap monochromatic screen with a couple of scroll buttons. They can scan the bar code and read all the descriptors.
So the parents would have to take each game box to the counter and have the desk clerk scan it? That doesn't make it easier for anyone. Even if you made a customer useable device similar to a price check station, you are making it incredibly inconvenient for any store that actually gets busy. Reading the back of a box > waiting in line to scan a barcode.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Well I can tell you that it won't make any difference. Parents will still ignore it when they buy it for their 9 year old. I doubt game publishers would be up for that, between cost and the space it would consume. I wouldn't be up for it as I shouldn't have to be given every single detail of what is in a game.
Just what is 'nonsexual partial nudity', anyway? Underboob? Or seeing a woman's ankle?
Veloxe said:
In a perfect world, yes, that would work. But a lot of parents either don't care or just chose to remain oblivious to the current rating system, one that is left up to their discretion is just going to make the issue worse.
I am inclined to agree with this. Parents will argue that they don't have the time to stand in the store reading every little tidbit that they should be aware of in a game. These days, they really don't. In my opinion the ESRB has been quite on the mark with their ratings, with little bias. The parents who are likely to ignore those ratings are going to ignore a detailed account even more.
Ninjariffic said:
You don't like GameStop employees, do you? :) Or did you mean the customer would read them?

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Veloxe said:
This.

Soccer moms are the sole reason we got whiny sweary little brats polluting the online gaming culture. They never ever fucking read the ratings.

projectX42

Jun 1, 2011
if they get rid of age ratings how will the Australian government stop me from playing games that involve violence?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Woodsey said:
" He also noted that there were some topics that some parents felt very strongly about - such as depictions of homosexuality "

I wouldn't put that on the back of the box just to hammer the nail in on this subject for such morons.

Anyway, people should inform themselves if they want to know more. Enough is done already by retailers and ratings boards.
In today's world, where homosexuality is trying to be considered equal with heterosexuality, this guy would see depictions of homosexuality adding to a rating more than a girl and boy kissing.
This is one part that convinces me this guy is an idiot. Worse, quite possibly a bigot, as well. People with that kind of bias do not belong anywhere near a system that is supposed to help gamers decide what is appropriate to play for certain agegroups.
I would like to ask him if there should be a warning for interracial content.

Oct 30, 2010
samsonguy920 said:
Woodsey said:

In today's world, where homosexuality is trying to be considered equal with heterosexuality, this guy would see depictions of homosexuality adding to a rating more than a girl and boy kissing.
This is one part that convinces me this guy is an idiot. Worse, quite possibly a bigot, as well. People with that kind of bias do not belong anywhere near a system that is supposed to help gamers decide what is appropriate to play for certain agegroups.
All the quote says is that some parents felt strongly about it. It doesn't give a hint of his personal feelings.

Ninjariffic

VP of Winning
Jan 24, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
Ninjariffic said:
So the parents would have to take each game box to the counter and have the desk clerk scan it? That doesn't make it easier for anyone. Even if you made a customer useable device similar to a price check station, you are making it incredibly inconvenient for any store that actually gets busy. Reading the back of a box > waiting in line to scan a barcode.
They don't check the back of the box anyway. I've also never seen a line at a price checker.

And yes, I meant the customers check it themselves.

projectX42

Jun 1, 2011
samsonguy920 said:
Woodsey said:

as much as that should be as it is the world is full of biggest and the notification will their for them then becomes he himself is one, you noticed he also mentioned "romantic kissing" it don't necessarily mean if he saw someone kissing in the street he would hit them with a stick.

the descriptions would have to cover every possible view point

Caffeine Rage

Mar 11, 2011
The thing is content is already on the package as part of the current rating system. Granted, it is on the back of the case and in almost the perfect place to be covered by your thumb when picking up a game case. But, that doesn't change the fact that it is listed.

Parents that ignore the current rating system will ignore the content advisories should they be moved from the back to the front of the box. Far too many parents today see video games as parents of the past saw television. An electronic babysitter that they can plop their kid in front of to keep them out of trouble without thinking about content that the child would be exposed to.

There is hope though; We are getting to the point where new parents will be more savvy about video game content. New parents of today is the generation that grew up playing video games. So, I can only hope that they will be more wise about what they expose their children to. Well, the responsible parents at least.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Ninjariffic said:
Scars Unseen said:
Ninjariffic said:
They don't check the back of the box anyway. I've also never seen a line at a price checker.

And yes, I meant the customers check it themselves.
I guess my point is that making the content rating less accessible isn't going to make more people look at it.