EVE Online Players Flip a Lid Over Virtual Clothing

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
EVE Online Players Flip a Lid Over Virtual Clothing

Imagine if Oblivion's horse armor had been sold - in space - for more than the price of a real-life horse.

EVE Online's latest free expansion, Incarna, hit PCs everywhere earlier this week boasting a slew of new features and improvements for the space-empire MMO. One other thing it added was the "Captain's Quarters," a prelude to the long-awaited "Walking in Stations" feature that would allow players to get out of their spaceships and actually see their avatar pilots (and those of others) in the proverbial flesh. The Captain's Quarters allowed players to see their characters and customize their appearance, but it was a solitary feature - only you can see your character.

Unfortunately, alongside the Captain's Quarters came something that has the EVE playerbase in an uproar: Developer CCP added a "microtransaction" shop, where players could buy vanity items to kit out their characters' appearances. This isn't a bad thing - almost every MMO does it these days - but these transactions aren't so "micro" after all.

There's an excellent post on RockPaperShotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/22/eek-eves-clothing-and-cash-crisis/] summing up how the complex economy of EVE Online has been affected by these items, but here's the skinny: An in-game shirt in EVE Online can go for $25 real-world dollars. That's more than it costs for an actual real-life shirt!

The real offender, though, is the "Looking Glass Ocular Implant," seen here. It's essentially a monocle, and it will set you back $70-80 dollars in real life. That's several months worth of EVE Online subscriptions, or a brand new game on its own.

These prices will eventually stabilize, of course, but for the moment EVE players seem perfectly in the right to be a bit heated about the issue. While paying $25 for a purely cosmetic in-game item is hardly unheard of [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110528-WoW-Adds-New-Purchasable-Mount-Winged-Guardian], it's worth noting that nobody else but the player can see these items (yet). There's no virtual prestige in it, rendering it the sci-fi equivalent of Oblivion's widely-mocked horse armor - for fourteen times the price.

Update: Things are rapidly going downhill for CCP. A leaked internal bulletin [http://www.evenews24.com/2011/06/22/greed-is-good-purportedly-leaked-internal-bulletin-shows-ccps-refreshing-new-direction/] titled "Greed is Good" indicates that the developer will be extending its microtransactions to less-than-cosmetic items like spaceships and weaponry - things which would provide a tangible in-game advantage.

An apology from EVE community manager Pann indicated that CCP was aware of the outrage [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/24/eve-online-dev-responds-to-incarna-anger/], but that doesn't seem to have calmed players any.

(RPS [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/22/eek-eves-clothing-and-cash-crisis/], thanks for the tip BonsaiK!)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Of more interest I think is their response: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/24/eve-online-dev-responds-to-incarna-anger/

And the link within the article: http://www.evenews24.com/2011/06/22/greed-is-good-purportedly-leaked-internal-bulletin-shows-ccps-refreshing-new-direction/

Amazing how a company can slip in standing quite so quickly. These guys started out by sleeping under desks in a shitty office trying to build their dream game, now they're apparently releasing internal memo's entitled "Greed is Good".

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
This isnt the issue at all John.

An internal newsletter was leaked discussing not only vanity items for sale, but new ships, ammo etc etc. Basically GAME CHANGIN stuff.

No one cares about the price of a monacle no one will buy, thi isnt WoW where people buy ponies.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oh bullshit, the Team Fortress 2 Mann Co. store has had prices like that for cosmetic items, and regular weaponry for months, and yet no news posts or calling outs on that? Pshaw, people, set your priorities straight!

But whatever, that still is pretty ridiculous for a monocle or whatever. There's a limit to microtransactions that developers are testing, though I'm pretty sure $100 for a new red-er glove croses that boundary twice.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
JIst00 said:

An internal newsletter was leaked discussing not only vanity items for sale, but new ships, ammo etc etc. Basically GAME CHANGIN stuff.

No one cares about the price of a monacle no one will buy, thi isnt WoW where people buy ponies.
This is why people are flipping a lid. You really should update this to reflect the actual issue.

John Funk said:

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Oh My God I hate it when a business tries to make money. [/sarcasm]
I don't see how this will affect the ISK economy. Yes it would have been cool to let the players use resources to make these items. But this is in no way a game breaker and should be encouraged.
It will probably take a lot of dev money to get entire stations as multiple avatar environments. EVE Players need to remember these prices don't just line pockets, they encourage development. Development I for one am looking forward to.

Remember folks vanity items are just that. Items that reflect how utterly vain you are.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Jita local is hillarious right now because of this. First time I've seen more spam from things other than scamming.

Greatly entertaining.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Jumplion said:
Oh bullshit, the Team Fortress 2 Mann Co. store has had prices like that for cosmetic items, and regular weaponry for months, and yet no news posts or calling outs on that? Pshaw, people, set your priorities straight!

But whatever, that still is pretty ridiculous for a monocle or whatever. There's a limit to microtransactions that developers are testing, though I'm pretty sure $100 for a new red-er glove croses that boundary twice.
So bloody true. Some of the rare hats cost twice as much as the fucking game. And the polycount weapons alone are forty bucks.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Ya the high prices will come down, they had to be introduced at a high price or risk destabilizing the GTC market beyond repair. CCP has to take a lot of things into consideration before releasing new features and it isn't possible to make everyone happy. Eve players get so much for free that they tend to feel a bit entitled. That said I've no problem with these vanity items, even if they don't come down in price.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
Are they learning from Valve? Though I suppose people will buy it anyway.

Considering how unforgiving Eve is, I wonder if people die if they'll lose their over-priced clothing as well as their multibillion ISK ship..

Saikonate

Nov 20, 2008
One time there was this thing that I thought was too expensive, so I didn't buy it.

That was an interesting day.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Wow talk about overpriced.
But they aren?t essential. If people don?t buy it they should get the message. If people do anyway and they don't knock the price down, whatever not having this stuff is not going to kill you.
JIst00 said:

This on the other hand is a real issue. Cosmetic crap you can ignore but game changing stuff you can?t. I don?t play EVE online but I hope for the sake of the people that do that this doesn?t turn into another 'he who pays the most wins' game and if it dose that people leave. In a F2P game it would be ok to have better equipment in the cash shop even if you need some of it to stand a chance in PVP but this is a subscrition game.
Edit: fixed typos

spasicle

Nov 9, 2009
This point isn't about vanity items and micro-transactions. CCP lied right to the users face that they would not introduce game changing micro-transactions. Just look at their April fools joke from '08, it was about adding a service where you can pay cash for ammo, and everyone laughed at how ridiculous that was. 3 years later, they're actually implementing that system. They stated micro-transactions would be purely vanity items, then it was found out they were lying the whole time and fully intended on adding premium ships and ammo you can pay real money for.

This is like if WoW sold epic level 85 armor and weapons, I'd suspect WoW players would not view that positively.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I love it when games try to squeeze even more money out of a game people are paying for by the month.

Is monthly fees and an initial really not enough?

spasicle

Nov 9, 2009
The Lunatic said:
I love it when games try to squeeze even more money out of a game people are paying for by the month.

Is monthly fees and an initial really not enough?

For CCP, no. They been working on two other games while working on Eve online expansions every 6 months, they've wasted tons of money on frivolous features that they're not even implementing anymore. 3/4th of their company is now owned by Venture capitalists. They need to revenue from micro-transactions to keep going but they decided to shove it down their users throats instead of just admitting they need the money.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Once again EVEs out of game drama generates amusement & excitement its actual gameplay never can

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
Singing Gremlin said:
Jita local is hillarious right now because of this. First time I've seen more spam from things other than scamming.

Greatly entertaining.
Indeed, it ceartainly constitutes a refreshing break from the usual: "That's it! I'm done with this game! Send any amount over 20 mio isk and I'll send back the double amount"

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Jumplion said:
Maybe that's because in TF2 those same items can be traded between players, crafted, and still drop randomly in game? I've never bought a single item in TF2 but my backpack is still full of special items and duplicate items. Get off your high horse man, these two cases are nothing alike in terms of scope.

OT: That's pretty stupid in my eye. Wouldn't it make sense, since the Eve currency actually has real world value, to base these micro transactions on that currency? It'd be an interesting economic experiment to say the least.