Hellgate Open Beta Begins Next Week

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hellgate Open Beta Begins Next Week

Hellgate is back as a free-to-play MMO with an open beta that begins on June 30.

If you remember Hellgate: London [http://www.amazon.com/Hellgate-London-Pc/dp/B000QB058U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308942283&sr=8-1], it's probably not with any great amount of fondness. It looked like it had the potential to be awesome but it proved somewhat less-than-impressive when it was released back in late 2007. Plagued with problems, it went dark in less than a year, dragging its developer, Flagship Studios, down into oblivion with it. The IP was eventually acquired by HanbitSoft, which is on the cusp of relaunching it in North America as a free-to-play MMO.

The open beta for the "new" game is set to begin on June 30 and will be available to both North American and European gamers. The beta will feature two new game modes, the PvP "Duel Area" and zombie-infested, oddly-named "Cow Room," along with four special events to celebrate the launch of the beta. These events will encourage teamwork among large guilds, give players opportunities to score high-level items and "TCoins," and offer other prizes to players as they level up.

Will it be better than the original Hellgate: London? The cinematic trailer released in May is pretty groovy but it's actually just a bunch of trailers from the original Hellgate: London smashed together into one long video - which also serves to illustrate why the game's failure was so disappointing. Hopefully the game will come a little closer to its intended mark this time around.

More information about the upcoming Hellgate open beta, including links to the client software, can be found at hellgate.t3fun.com [http://hellgate.t3fun.com].

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Ah, Hellgate, we hardly knew ye back then.

Let's hope that Hanbitsoft solves all the many issues that the original Hellgate had.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
All the talk about the original, I loved the shit outta that game, if for no other reason it was a complete lootfest. So many guns to try, so little time. I can't wait to check this out.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I can't wait to get my hands on this, there is a lack of decent MMOs out right now. I know we have WoW and EVE established, and I've played Guild Wars to death, but no one seems to be doing anything new. Hellgate seemed to be ahead of its time for me, so I'm looking forward to giving it another shot, four years on.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I love the premise and would greatly enjoy diging into game like this. I never attempted to play the first game but if we can expect things as good as these trailers I would gladly give it a try.

Toraylin2

May 6, 2011
Finally, I've been waiting for this ever since the close of the U.S server. Now if only we could somehow continue our old characters. Just kidding, I know they are gone... For good.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Even the concept - fight through a horde of zombies to kill the "Cow Room Boss" - sounds like Diablo.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Genuinely looks interesting. Assumedly it will attempt to fill the gaps left by such MMO's as APB and Tabula Rasa.

got bored of WoW after i discovered sex didn't require a monthly subscription, so it would be good to see what this holds.

yretsyMredruM

Jun 24, 2011
Always wanted to play the original, but all the negative reviews deterred me from it. Hopefully it'll be different from the rest of the WOW clones in the market.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
I played the beta, paid $5 for a preorder, then never went to pick it up as they didn't fix the existing problems by the launch date. I laughed as my friends quit playing it after a month and then the servers were shut down. Thank God I didn't pay for a "lifetime" subscription they were offering.

Free is still too expensive for Hellgate London. I have better things to do with my time.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
The 'closed beta' happened once and lasted a weekend. During that weekend the server and/or game was down a-plenty. If the open beta does not go a sight better than the game will have a rough time.

Playing in the closed beta it felt rough, almost more rough than the original game. Can't say that I will be bothering with Hellgate this time around.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
If you remember Hellgate: London [http://www.amazon.com/Hellgate-London-Pc/dp/B000QB058U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308942283&sr=8-1], it's probably not with any great amount of fondness.
What? I loved and still love that game to bits!

yretsyMredruM said:
Always wanted to play the original, but all the negative reviews deterred me from it. Hopefully it'll be different from the rest of the WOW clones in the market.
I really enjoyed it. If you can find a copy, try and pick it up.

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
Considering I played the original up until it went dark, read the books, read the comic.. Yeah.. I'm gonna play the shit out of this..

chaosbedlam

Apr 15, 2009
Old Hellgate still holds a place dare to my hart, i almost shed a tear when it was axed. i can say that i am very much looking forward to this.