Capcom Japan Hints At Street Fighter IV Sequel

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Capcom Japan Hints At Street Fighter IV Sequel

A sequel to Street Fighter IV seems more and more like a sure thing, at least going by the major hints that Capcom Japan is dropping on its Street Fighter blog.

Capcom dropped some major hints at a Street Fighter IV sequel during a translation [http://www.capcom-fc.com/sf4/2009/06/post_111.html] done by diligent Shoryuken.com forumgoer FallenAngel, Capcom not only teased the existence of the game, which they referred to as Street Fighter IV DASH (in Japan, Street Fighter II Championship Edition was known as Dash), but even went so far as to tell us what would be in the game.

According to FallenAngel's translation, bonus stages will "probably" be added in the next version of the game. You might recall these from the golden days of Street Fighter - car smashing, barrel smashing, etc - or from this real-life fan re-creation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92355-Martial-Artist-Punches-Up-a-Car-Street-Fighter-II-Style] from last week.

Another minor addition will be a function for SF4's Trial Mode that will display how to do combos. Trial Mode, in its current incarnation, tasks players with performing tricky combos but does squat to teach them how, which some said defeated the entire purpose of the mode.

As for the new features people will care most about - the characters - Street Fighter IV project manager Natsuki Shiozawa says that she realizes Karin (from Street Fighter Alpha 3) is popular but she'd like to see Ibuki from Street Fighter 3 make an appearance. Cody of Final Fight and Street Fighter Alpha is also a possibility, says Shiozawa.

Though some fans have been holding out hope that Capcom would continue to support the game by updating it via DLC, that's probably never going to happen. Capcom, the company said, is listening to suggestions on the blog and on the internet in general, but as vocal as some fans can get, Capcom's not going to change this business practice in particular. Well, if they're not going to listen when it comes to whether or not to do a sequel, they can at least listen to me when I say this: Add Skullomania to the game. That is all.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I can't say I'm particularly surprised by this move. I'm glad I have yet to buy it.

Though I can't say I'm a fan of Karin, Cody, or Ibuki. I'd rather see Alex show up.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Hmm, I need to get this on a console with a better D-pad. More characters would be great also...

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
SKULLO CRASHER FOR THE WIN!

he would fit in fantastically with the comic art style...

i still live in hope for a street fighter game with every character from all the older games.
crackerjack vs sodom etc
>':)

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Ibuki and Cody? Hell yes.
My sentiments exactly. If Capcom really wanted to make me love them forever, though, they'd finally tell us whether Charlie is truly dead or not. He is may favorite Street Fighter of all time, STOP JERKING MY CHAIN.

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
Dagumitblah -- I finally saved up the money to buy SFIV last weekend! I suppose I can take solace in the fact that the blog didn't mention upcoming entries in the franchise like, oh, I don't know, Street Fighter IV Hall of Fame or Street Fighter IV Dee Jay, all in a single calendar year.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
They could re-release Street Fighter IV for years.

Street Fighter IV Turbo
Street Fighter IV Championship Edition
Street Fighter IV Turbo Championship Edition
Street Fighter IV Alpha
Street Fighter IV Alpha Turbo
Street Fighter IV Alpha Championship Edition
Street Fighter IV Alpha Turbo Championship Edition

The list, sadly, goes on.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Shut up Capcom, release my PC version first, then do *wink-wink* at a sequel.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
megapenguinx said:
Hmm, I need to get this on a console with a better D-pad. More characters would be great also...
PSX Pad + converter + PS3 + SF IV = unadulterated win.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I saw a Street Fighter IV sequel coming when they cancelled adding characters as DLC.

Capcom just love money a bit too much, and now I'm not even sure if I should get SFIV just yet if another one is coming out (although it will probably be years before it comes out on the PC).

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Baneat said:
megapenguinx said:
I had it for the 360 originally (my poor thumb never recovered). I can actually deal with the PS3 controller, since I've been using PS controllers for fighting games since Alpha back on the PSX.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
The Great JT said:
They could re-release Street Fighter IV for years.

Street Fighter IV Turbo
Street Fighter IV Championship Edition
Street Fighter IV Turbo Championship Edition
Street Fighter IV Alpha
Street Fighter IV Alpha Turbo
Street Fighter IV Alpha Championship Edition
Street Fighter IV Alpha Turbo Championship Edition

The list, sadly, goes on.

Why can't we just call it Street Fighter V. IS that so hard Capcom

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
But what will they call it?
That is indeed the most pressing question. Hopefully they have learned from the past and will just make it Street Fighter V. I don't want any Turbo, Alpha, Championship titles added onto it: just give me a solid V.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
megapenguinx said:
Baneat said:
megapenguinx said:
I had it for the 360 originally (my poor thumb never recovered). I can actually deal with the PS3 controller, since I've been using PS controllers for fighting games since Alpha back on the PSX.
The D-pad on your old PS controller most certainy will have some wear in it :). this is good. The new ones they make just aren't as good. Not only is the texture of the d-pad extremely abrasive (I actually got a blister from playing zangief), but the buttons need much harder presses and the material the buttons are made from stay abrasive for ages.

I got my PS1 controller for £1 out of a car boot sale, with a PSX and about 8 games thrown in (don't need, just wanted the controller :)). w/ a £2 adapter, it's shocking it beats out a £30 controller of today.

Mtsaska

Jul 12, 2009
I have the MadCatz fightpad for 360 and it is better for Street Fighter than any other controller on the market. It's well worth the investment.