Publisher Wants Users to Design and Fund Its Game

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Publisher Wants Users to Design and Fund Its Game

Publisher Roundhouse Interactive's new project, The Game Cartel, is an ambitious plan to create a game based wholly around the decisions of a community of gamers, that, as it happens, will be financing the project as well.

Roundhouse Interactive, recently in the news for adding WWE "diva" Trish Stratus to its team, is taking something of a gamble for its next game, thus far only known as "The Game Cartel." They're taking the idea of design-by-committee to the next level by building the game mostly around the decisions of what they hope will be a large community of gamers.

"It's going to be a democratic voting system and society," Roundhouse president Mike Montanaro told CNET [http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10267336-52.html]. "We place a bunch of ideas out to the cartel members, and they get to decide the direction it goes, everything from the name of the game straight to what platform, the genre of the game, storylines, playability (and) controls. We're going to guide the consumer through the full development of the game."

The way it works is that during apparently every step of development, "cartel members" get a set of options. Just like a real democracy, people vote and the majority rules. Programmers then implement the community's decisions, effectively turning users into game designers. "It basically gives gamers the opportunity to participate in the creation and direction of a full-scale game," Montanaro said.

Trusting the design of your game to gamers? Sounds like a financial disaster in the making right? Not exactly. The catch here is that in order to join "the cartel," you have to fork over a $50 fee that'll guarantee your membership and a copy of the game, which is scheduled to be done by next December. Montanaro is hoping for 100,000 people to sign up, which would net his company a cool $5 million before the game's even finished. With a planned budget of $3 million, there'd effectively be money in the bank even before the game hit store shelves.

Would you pay $50 to help design a game? Montanaro expects you to. Gamers are drawn to the idea of being part of an exclusive project, he thinks. "They don't want it to be something that just anybody can be a part of," he said.

This could either be a comically epic disaster or maybe something genuinely innovative. We'll just have to wait and see.

[Via GameCulture [http://www.gameculture.com/node/1393]]

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Pigs in Space!!!
Seriously, have you ever read half of the peoples 'sugjestions' for games out there? What will this game be? Mediocre Pile of Dung. Though, I guess Halo did sell a lot of copies...

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
If we users are shaping and funding the game i want to see profits back to us - no pretending to be down to earth while simply milking us for cash damnit.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Design-by-committee is already considered to be a laughable mistake in our industry, and that's using paid professionals. Design-by-amateur-committee? I can't wait. The laughter will probably kill me.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
So when am I to expect the internet taking this over and making Battletoads?

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Wow, any one else dreamt of something like this?. FINALLY!, hopefully it shall reach my expectations.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
Avida said:
If we users are shaping and funding the game i want to see profits back to us - no pretending to be down to earth while simply milking us for cash damnit.
No, it's like you're.. er... a producer. You get to pay for a project, and depending on the amount you can hang around with the cast, and decide if there'll be a giant spider in the game somewhere.

And if that wasn't enough, you get to be trated like 1 billionth part of royalty by the publisher and the devs. Awesome, yeah?

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I have never been a fan of design by committee. Even if I am on the committee. I expect them to vote to create a game that is well beyond the scope of what the development team can produce in a reasonable time. Then the development team will cut some corners and deliver a game that technicaly meets the design paramiters but does not live up to the multiple visions of the game each $50 customer had in mind. Finaly everyone walks away unsatisfied.

Edit:
Alternatly 4chan or the Colbert Nation could sweep in and rock the vote to make a joke game that may or may not be actualy good.

onfirejb

Jun 8, 2009
This is what would happen:

I give them some money along with some ideas i would like to see in the game.

They churn out a generic shit heap FPS/Family Game that has the same ideas as most other games already on the market.

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
nipsen said:
Avida said:
No, it's like you're.. er... a producer. You get to pay for a project, and depending on the amount you can hang around with the cast, and decide if there'll be a giant spider in the game somewhere.

And if that wasn't enough, you get to be trated like 1 billionth part of royalty by the publisher and the devs. Awesome, yeah?
Aah, thats a little better then, i may even have to check it out, if the forums havnt ruined it by now XD.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
I think everyone's cynicism is a little misplaced, because of this:
We place a bunch of ideas out to the cartel members
It sounds like rather than being design-by-committee, it's going to be paying for the oppurtunity to be their market research.

skcseth

May 25, 2009
As long as you don't have to pay for the game after it's developed, I'd buy into it. It would even save you ten bucks on a new game that you pretty much made.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Wait, wait, wait a moment! So basically, you pay 50 bucks for something that you don't even know what it will turn out to be? The following analogy might suck but what the hell, I'll roll with it. It's like ordering a game from an online store, paying for it and then when it arrives after a loooooong time, it just "might" not be the game you ordered but something much worse. And worse, you can't get a refund. (Though, you could possibly sell it at Ebay or something :p)
Anyway, my own personal opinion:

/Facepalm

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
So if I pay for a game before it's made, I can attempt to influence it to be the game I actually wanted to spend my money on?

Awesome...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I'm SURE this has been tried before. What if half wants a RPG, and the other wants an FPS? You'll need a pretty strong basic idea before you start; or you risk alienating half your "Developers" before a single line of code is written.

Why does this remind me of the Simpsons where they get kids to improve Itchy and Scratchy and end up with a down to earth show that's completely off the wall.