Little Big MadWorld

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Little Big MadWorld

Why we need more motherf***ing Wii games and cuddly PS3 games.

Read Full Article

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Or they should make it so all the different consoles play the same games.

There are quite a few mature games on the wii, problem is, most of them suck.
I was just saying this on a forum but what Nintendo needs is for R* to make a GTA or Bethesda needs to make a TES for the wii.

If the ModNation (Racers) brand is going to come out with a series of cute moddable games, it can really even things out for the ps3.

ChocoCake

Nov 23, 2008
This is actually something that I been have talking to people about lately. I find it somewhat frustrating to hear about a good game, how awesome and revolutionary it may seem to be, only to find out its some exclusive to a console I don't own, or rarely use.

I liked how consoles were compared to DVD players in this article. That is how consoles should be, but never will, unfortunately. I can only dream of buying a game, not worrying about what is compatible with it and what hardware I will need to play it, but just simply playing it. There wouldn't be any annoying arguments about who has the better hardware, or console, there would just be options of how you can play it, not requirements.

The "Big Three", as it was put, has certainly taken steps in that direction, however, whether it be their intention or not. As with the examples MadWorld and LittleBigPlanet, it is becoming apparent that the Big Three have begun to realize that diversity is almost as important as original games are, although the two can coexist rather nicely.

In other news...
...naughty spike and and dribbles...
...anyone that might might see, hear, or...
...in order to to lash them...

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
This is one of the many reasons I am a PC gamer.

It has a great deal of flexibility in gaming, and I know there are games that aren't released on the PC, but thankfully they aren't the sorts of games I'm interested in.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
This problem just gets people to say "This is how the game was meant to be played" which is the most annoying statement in the history of console fanboyism.

I myself would love to see no games be exclusive, but saddly it could never happen. The big three have their flagship franchises and they need them to put emphasis on their console over the others in the eyes of consumers.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
super_smash_jesus said:
This problem just gets people to say "This is how the game was meant to be played" which is the most annoying statement in the history of console fanboyism.
Well there are times when a controller is preferred over my mouse and keyboard. Luckily, I have one so I can play any way I want. Wonderful technology isn't it?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Indigo_Dingo said:
Andy_Panthro said:

It has a great deal of flexibility in gaming, and I know there are games that aren't released on the PC, but thankfully they aren't the sorts of games I'm interested in.
When was the last time a good and cute game was released on the PC that wasn't Free Realms? Similarly, when was the last time the PC saw a game as brutal as God of War III?
*A-hem*

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6035-Review-Plants-vs-Zombies

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Andy_Panthro said:

When was the last time a good and cute game was released on the PC that wasn't Free Realms? Similarly, when was the last time the PC saw a game as brutal as God of War III?
*A-hem*

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6035-Review-Plants-vs-Zombies
Isn't counting PopCap kinda cheating? Its roughly the equivilant of counting the PsN's downloadable games
if your bringing PSN's games, then Im bringing in The XBL Arcade. suck on our original DOOM, Duke nukem 3D,

And of course, Castle Crashers.

Although...I really wish Noby noby boy was on xbox... *Sigh*

In other news, yes, its good these guys are mixing it up a bit.

But I wish Exclusives could be multi-platform altogether. Well, we can dump the wii, anyway.

holy crap, I realised something,

THE WII HAS THE MOST EXCLUSIVES OF ALL OF THE BIG THREE!

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Console wars and exclusives are retarded. So is connecting certain genres to certain consoles. I wholeheartedly agree with you,there should be more diversity in styles on all "Big three" consoles. It's stupid how Wii became completely "kid-friendly" platform,while PS3 and Xbox 360 is all about "violence and tits".

*sigh* It's all so stupid. I really wish Ratchet & Clank series or Killzone 2 or Gears of War 2 were on PC. I would have bought them if they were.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Yes, yes, yes! It seems the word "variety" means nothing to game developers these days. I think the PS3 and Xbox 360 are mostly to blame for this, since the sheer competitiveness between the two doesn't really allow for anything OTHER than a gritty, realistic game to be released in the catalog. Even developers with a history of cartoon-style games have been modernizing their products for this generation of video games. To illustrate:

The guys who made THIS game:

Made THIS game:

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
While I do appreciate more variety I hope the Wii won't get more games like MadWorld. Why? Because that was so violent it wasn't released in my country. That DOES require going out of your way to be extra violent, Dawn of War 2 with its sync kills is rated 16, that's two steps below "no release". Thematic variety is nice but we don't need Mortal Kombat-esque exploitation games that have no selling point besides "look how violent it is!" Absurdly violent games seem to be a trend lately, this generation I've seen more games blocked from release than ever before. The 360 is especially crippled, missing major titles like Gears of War. Infamous is the only one of the three open world superpower games that even appears on shelves here, Crackdown was blocked and Prototype only gets sold by online stores (and probably not for long if it gets indexed).

I think supplying violent games for the Wii is something second and third parties will have to do though, Nintendo itself simply doesn't operate like that. They do let their "outliers" make games like that, e.g. Monolith Soft's Disaster, but those are still fairly rare. Nintendo itself sees realistic violence as something that reduces the appeal of a game and thus they won't do it.

What I'm inclined to disagree on is that the 360 balances it out. Its shelves are full of browngray violent games rated 16 and 18, the only major title for younger players I can even think of is Viva Pinata.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
HardRockSamurai said:
Yes, yes, yes! It seems the word "variety" means nothing to game developers these days. I think the PS3 and Xbox 360 are mostly to blame for this, since the sheer competitiveness between the two doesn't really allow for anything OTHER than a gritty, realistic game to be released in the catalog. Even developers with a history of cartoon-style games have been modernizing their products for this generation of video games. To illustrate:

The guys who made THIS game:

Made THIS game:

Could the answer not possibly be that they didn't want to make another cartoony game, that they wanted to try something different?
Possibly, but if they really wanted to try something different they wouldn't have made a sandbox game, set in a large city, featuring a short-brown haired protagonist.