EA Sports Steps Back From MMA Sequel

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Sports Steps Back From MMA Sequel

EA Sports has backed away from plans to release a sequel to last year's MMA game, indicating that the game's future is now up in the air.

denied [http://www.amazon.com/EA-SPORTS-MMA-Playstation-3/dp/B002BS61JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309189154&sr=8-1] that prediction, saying, "There is definitely going to be an EA Sports MMA 2," but it's starting to look like he might have been a little premature.

The number one problem is not a lack of interest, however, but the fact that Strikeforce, the lead promotion in EA Sports MMA, was acquired in March by the UFC - and the UFC has had some rough history with EA Sports. UFC President Dana White declared in July 2009 that he was "at war [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93109-UFC-President-Warns-Fighters-Against-EA-Sports-MMA]" with EA over its earlier rejection of a proposed MMA videogame and went so far as to warn that any fighter who took part in the game "won't be in the UFC."

That antagonism is problematic for the future of the game. "A world where we're not involved in fighting is a world I'd rather not think about. That said, what goes on in the sport, and what's gone on between the UFC and Strikeforce, certainly has an impact on what we can do in the space," EA Sports Chief of Development Andrew Wilson told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5815622/ea-sports-wont-say-mmas-dead-but-wont-say-its-getting-a-sequel-either].

EA could presumably build a new MMA game around a different promotion but as a brand, Strikeforce is already a far less well-known to mainstream audiences than the UFC. Building around an even more obscure promotion and fighters who would be effectively anonymous probably wouldn't do much to help the series gain ground on THQ's UFC: Undisputed [http://www.amazon.com/UFC-Undisputed-2010-Xbox-360/dp/B0030CV356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309189319&sr=8-1] games.

"So it's not a 'no,' but it's also not a 'yes,'" Wilson said. "We'd love for there to be one because I'm a diehard fan of the sport. We have to figure out how to make that happen."

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Game will not happen. Zuffa (ufc parent company) now so soon will own the rights to 90% of the fighters in this game worth playing.

EA screwed themselves on this in any case.

UFC asked EA to make game.
EA said no due to precieved lack of interest.
UFC went elsewhere and made marginally profitable game
EA wants in on action and makes own MMA game with crappy roster.
UFC aquires most fighters worth being in game.

Theres no reason to make another game.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
bombadilillo said:
Game will not happen. Zuffa (ufc parent company) now so soon will own the rights to 90% of the fighters in this game worth playing.

lol, nobody at the escapist is a MMA fan I take it.
Big MMA fan here :). Though there's nothing much to add on it other than what you said. EA turned Dana White down when it came to making the first UFC games on the current gen consoles. Saying pretty much what you said (I think the quote from Dana was more on the likes of "MMA isn't a real sport") they wouldn't support a game, then Undisputed came out, got quite a good amount of money from it and then there you go. Now MMA is a real sport because they can make money from it. They shot them selves in the foot for it.

That being said, I'm rather glad the didn't take him up on the offer. I liked the undisputed games however I played the demo to EA MMA and it really seemed like a Kickboxing game rather than an MMA game. I think a good K1 game could have been made with it but from going by the demo, the grappling seemed tacked on.

EA could issue a big sniveling apology to Dana and maybe hope he'll allow them to use the Strikeforce roster (Dana would probably get a good amount of money from that and he'd pretty much just be competing against himself in the MMA video game area... win-win) however its if Dana would take that apology or if EA has the balls to do it.

Ho well, just looking forward to the next UFC game I guess. Hope they fix some of the balancing issues this time round which have plagued this generation of UFC games.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Sovvolf said:
bombadilillo said:

lol, nobody at the escapist is a MMA fan I take it.
Big MMA fan here :). Though there's nothing much to add on it other than what you said. EA turned Dana White down when it came to making the first UFC games on the current gen consoles. Saying pretty much what you said (I think the quote from Dana was more on the likes of "MMA isn't a real sport") they wouldn't support a game, then Undisputed came out, got quite a good amount of money from it and then there you go. Now MMA is a real sport because they can make money from it. They shot them selves in the foot for it.

That being said, I'm rather glad the didn't take him up on the offer. I liked the undisputed games however I played the demo to EA MMA and it really seemed like a Kickboxing game rather than an MMA game. I think a good K1 game could have been made with it but from going by the demo, the grappling seemed tacked on.

EA could issue a big sniveling apology to Dana and maybe hope he'll allow them to use the Strikeforce roster (Dana would probably get a good amount of money from that and he'd pretty much just be competing against himself in the MMA video game area... win-win) however its if Dana would take that apology or if EA has the balls to do it.

Ho well, just looking forward to the next UFC game I guess. Hope they fix some of the balancing issues this time round which have plagued this generation of UFC games.
Yeah, just looking forward to a undisputed with an expanded roster.

And the last game had some horrible issues. Like how a good grappler could sub anybody by using cheep strategy. And the training menus were overwehlming to me trying to get all the individule moves... I liked the first one better.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
bombadilillo said:
And the last game had some horrible issues. Like how a good grappler could sub anybody by using cheep strategy. And the training menus were overwehlming to me trying to get all the individule moves... I liked the first one better.
I think both games had their fair share of issues. However I did enjoy the second more. While yes the grappling needs a little tweeking (they did fix it up with a patch though believe it or not) and the menus were as overwhelming as the first game (which I hoped they'd change) the first game got repetitive fast.

Least it did for me, the problem I had was that just about every character played the same. Guys with Thai boxing all felt the same, boxers all felt the same and Kickboxers all felt the same. I mean there was a little variation for certain fighters but for the most part they were the same. So it got a little repetitive after a while (that's not to say I didn't play the hell out of that game).

The second game fixed that with being able to actually customize your fighting style, that alone was the best thing about it. So every character felt different. Also, when building myself in the character creator I can give him a fighting style closer to my own... it had a good degree of customization which I hope we see more of in the future games.

Apparently in the next game they're ridding of the stat degradation, fixing up the menus and adding Pride rules as an option (which means head stomping time :)). Greatly looking forward to it.

Edit: The balancing issue I had concerns with was that the boxing style was highly over powered. You could end matches really quick just by duking it out as a boxer and spamming overhead punches and such which I thought cheapened the game. Be nice to see a better counter system and be nice to see those issues balanced out.