Leland Yee Decries Supreme Court Decision

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Leland Yee Decries Supreme Court Decision

California Senator and notorious videogame hater Leland Yee says today's Supreme Court decision granting First Amendment protection to games is a blow to the rights of parents and the safety of our communities.

Leland Yee, as you may know, has spent the past several years fighting to impose laws in California that would ban the sale of mature videogames to minors. That may not sound like such a bad idea on the surface but it's a fairly fundamental violation of the First Amendment, which is why similar laws in numerous other states have been shot down every time they've come up. But Yee was a dog with a bone and somehow his quest became California's, which led to the deep irony of an effectively broke state spending truckloads of money fighting for an indefensible law at the behest of a man who became famous by ripping Brian Thompson's heart out through his lower intestines.

Anyway, the Supreme Court dropped the hammer of jurisprudence on Leland's law today - details here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111300-Supreme-Court-Rules-in-Favor-of-Videogames] - and as you might expect, the man was none too happy about it, saying the ruling "put the interests of corporate America before the interests of our children."

"As a result of their decision, Wal-Mart and the videogame industry will continue to make billions of dollars at the expense of our kids' mental health and the safety of our community," Yee said. "It is simply wrong that the videogame industry can be allowed to put their profit margins over the rights of parents and the well-being of children."

It's a ridiculous sentiment, of course. At its core, all this ruling does is extend to the videogame industry the same protections enjoyed by the film, music and book industries. The right of parents to not buy their children mature videogames, or any other form of entertainment media, remains intact.

Yet in spite of all the time and money wasted, Yee was determined to put a positive spin on the loss, saying he is "certain that this eight-year legislative and legal battle has raised the consciousness of this issue for many parents and grandparents, and has forced the videogame industry to do a better job at appropriately rating these games."

So I guess it was all worthwhile then.

Source: PCMag.com [http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387676,00.asp]

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
The song "Tried to kill the metal" comes to mind when I read this news post.

Jack Thompson tried to kill the games, but games crushed him with logic.
Michale Atkinson tried to kill the games, but games just waited for him to get old.
Leeland Yee tried to kill the games, but games put on their +5 legal armor and brought down the mighty banhammer!

He really should have seen his defeat coming, oh well. Who's next in line to try where others have failed. Keep em coming, we need more XP and phat lootz.

-EDIT-
You know what, I'm just gonna post the song as our victory tune. Just replace Metal and all who tried to kill it with games and the ilk that keep trying to kill it.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Nice response: Meeh whatever senator.

Id response: All I can say is that I hope this guy ends up as forgotten as Jack Thompson.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
If Senator Yee really felt that he wanted to help children, he might have considered spending public funds on teachers instead of on an 8 year long court case. I wonder how much this case has cost the state of California. Frankly I'd be interested to know how much money was spent just on legal fees. Anyone know?

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
"a blow to the rights of parents" what you mean in the sense that they are held accountable for there own children's mental and emotional well being.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Why bother reporting on the reactions of people whose reactions we could all pretty much fill in for ourselves at this point?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Seventh Actuality said:
Why bother reporting on the reactions of people whose reactions we could all pretty much fill in for ourselves at this point?
Because we won and now we're savoring the deliciously salty tears of the politicians and overbearing parent organizations who were fool enough to waste millions in taxpayer dollars fighting for such a ridiculous bill.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
So Yee has no problem with Corporate America driving illegal homeland security web seizures and propoganda which makes California owned Hollywood tons of money, but he has a problem with video games being treated like other media.

Okay...

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
I don't see how this is a blow to the rights of parents, unless of course he means the parents' right to not raise their children. If you don't want your kid playing GTA, don't buy it for them; if they buy it themselves somehow, take it off them and punish them; if they get a hold of another copy, don't blame the industry for it. If you can't take responsibility for raising a child then don't have one or put any existing spawn up for adoption, you'll have a whole lot of free time and save a crap load of money then! Of course you won't be able to play the 'disguntled parent' card when making stupid arguments.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I,m pretty sure he doesn,t know that there are some movies waay more violent then say Postal 2 or GTA. Kids saw them and turned out fine..... ass hat

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
Yes, millions of children will be molded into sick, twisted psychopathic killers bent on destruction through videogames. Mature videogames are rated 17 or 18 or 21 for a reason, they are not meant for kids. They will get them anyways. Weed is illegal, yet I don't see people stopping that anytime soon. It would not have changed much, just hurt the industry and set the game industry back a decade in their search for artistic recognition.

This guy is just funny though. It reminds me that when trains first were used as transportation, some people demanded that walls would have to be errected around the tracks as the immense speeds of trains (we're talking early day steam engine trains here) would surely drive anyone observing it into madness.
Way before that, books were despised by some greek philosophers who said that reading a book meant you will lose the ability to come up with your own ideas and to explore your own self. Obviously neither have happened. This is a new episode in the long line of "Technology=EVIL" debates that will go on long after we all have died. Luckily, our lifetimes will probably not be spend in insane asylums because we played Manhunt one time too often and murdered everyone in a Wal Mart with a stapler.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Someone slap a "Haters gonna hate" label on this then lets get back to trolling the parental groups.

Also when the affected children in this case are likely going to be the ones who were raised knowing only soft cushions, warm food and soap, its a loss i can support.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
I'm suprised that they haven't begun saying that people use the game discs as a weapon.
Seriously why do they have such a 'won't somebody please think of the children' mentality?
It's the responsibility of the parents to control what happens in their house.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh, that is just funny, but I have a few words for Yee that go like this:

"Look, you poncy bastard, if you want to fight Walmart...fight Walmart. Games don't enter into it. Do what you want with the store, but leave gaming alone!"

There goes a very sad and unentertaining man.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Personally, I would have tried to remain dignified in defeat, but whatever; to each their own, Senator Yee.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
"Wah wah wah, I lost." - Leland Yee.

Honestly, these folks need to accept a loss when they see one.