Tribes: Ascend Gameplay Trailer Brings the Sexy Heat

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Tribes: Ascend Gameplay Trailer Brings the Sexy Heat

If I had to describe the new gameplay trailer for the upcoming free-to-play online shooter Tribes: Ascend [http://www.tribesascend.com/] in a word, that word would be hot!

Hi-Rez Studios Tribes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108405-Hi-Rez-Studios-Annouces-Tribes-Ascend] franchise back in March with a quickie video that was a little on the cheesy side but still awesome simply for the news it brought. What it didn't bring, however, was a look at the actual game. After all these years, would it really be Tribes?

The truth is that there's no way to tell from a minute-long video on YouTube, but you can tell this: it looks good. Hot. Sex-ay! And as much as you can judge these things based on 57 seconds of fast-cut video, yeah, it looks like Tribes, too.

Oh, and the free-to-play thing? Yes, Hi-Rez is going the F2P route with Tribes: Ascend, using a model similar to that of the popular League of Legends [http://www.amazon.com/League-Legends-Pc/dp/B002HOIPCW/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1309273379&sr=1-1]. Players will be able to buy specific "loadouts," weapon and armor sets designed to facilitate specialization in roles like defense, stealth or balls-out brawling, which will be released on a regular basis in order to keep people playing [and paying]. Cosmetic items like special skins will also be available for purchase, and there is expected to be a leveling system that will allow players to get better and badder through gameplay and the accumulation of experience.

Tribes: Ascend is currently slated for digital release later this year, for the PC and Xbox 360.

Source: IGN [http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1178865p1.html]

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Nice to see an FPS with some color and not chest-high-wall dependent(based on the vid anyway).

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I never liked Tribes. So I will be passing. It is a shame though that they waited so long to release a follow up.

Best of luck to it.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Tastes too much like Halo to me. Yeah, I know Tribes came first, but you can't deny that they look sorta similar when they're both in current-gen graphics. In any case, I respect the decision to make it F2P. I just hope the inevitable cash shop isn't too ridiculous.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Meh.

Looks way too twitchy for me. Lots of shooting at tiny, fast-moving targets.

I guess I'll try it out, but I don't expect to play for more than ten minutes.

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
I heard Section 8 was really similar to Tribes, but I didn't realize just how similar. This looks really cool with the fast movement speed though.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
i'll give it a go, but unless they offer a solid price point that'll prevent me from having to pay microtransactions in the future, then it'll prolly last no more than a good month.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Looks like a graphically enhanced version of the recently released Section 8 Prejudice. The Free to Play on Xbox might give it the boost it needs to actually get some community sticking with it but it's going to have to compete with an already existent community. I don't think any hardcore Tribes fans left floating around out there who aren't also PC fans, a platform bloated full of Free to Play games.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
I loved the first Tribes and I'm so glad that this is going to be F2P. I didn't see much skiing though which leads me to be a little worried but we'll see what the deal is when the game actually drops. Nice to see the disc launcher is still there as well.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
I was tricked, there's nothing even remotely sexy about any of this. Its just Halo Online.

Tell me when they make a Beach Volleyball MMO.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
It's an F2P?

Fuck. There goes the neighborhood.

Seriously, I can't stand the F2P model. Part of the appeal of the original Tribes and Tribes 2 is that you got to play around with all the gear and all the different roles to see which ones suited you best. If you're going to charge me $50 to unlock all the content, why not just sell me the game in a box like you used to?

Except it's worse than that, because most F2P games charge you to unlock the content for a certain length of time. So now I need to pay you $5 a month just to have access to the spinfusor, or the energy pack? To be able to equip heavy armor, or light armor? To be able to drive a vehicle?

Congrats guys. You just ruined any hope I had of the Tribes franchise being revived. Guess I'll have to stick to Section 8: Prejudice for the foreseeable future.

PS: Shameless Plug Time! Anyone who liked Tribes should definitely pick up Section 8: Prejudice. Granted it's less like Tribes than it is like Halo: Reach, but it incorporates a lot of the same gameplay aspects as Tribes (customizable loadouts and armor types, deployables, base-centric gameplay, jetpacks, purchasable vehicles, etc.). At $15, it's well worth your money, and you don't have to accept getting nickel-and-dimed to death to play the game the way you want.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Well I did enjoy playing Tribes back in the day. But out of all the old Sierra Entertainment games they had to bring back, it just couldn't be SWAT could it....

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
Blaster395 said:
Why does this look so similar to Halo, even down to the map design?
The correct question is:
Why does Halo look similar to Tribes, even down to the map design?

ZeppMan217

Apr 13, 2010
This isn't the same as LoL. Tribes: Ascend will be selling not only cosmetic stuff, but all the other imbalanced stuff as well, which can only be acquired using a fat wallet. Not cool, not cool.

Neko Federovna

Mar 21, 2011
Cool! I?m looking forward to this. I?ve been missing good old fashioned shoot em ups. Still playing unreal 2004 because it?s a fun game. (Especially with the ballistic weapons mod) great modable platform to. It?s going to be hard to gat back in it though. That game was FAST game play, we have slowed down to duck and cover game play. Fun but you try to preserve your life to much. A game where you ran full tilt into the horde that never ended, now that was fun.

And did anyone notice the ending when he strapped the attacker with the sticky mine. That?s classic, and skillful.