Ignition Announces More Layoffs (And Cancels WarDevil)

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Ignition Announces More Layoffs (And Cancels WarDevil)

WarDevil was only temporarily canceled last time. This time, it sounds like it's permanent.

Remember how, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104691-5-Years-Later-WarDevil-Gets-Sent-To-The-Afterlife>back in October, it looked like Ignition's long-developed game WarDevil had finally been canceled? Well, apparently this wasn't the case, because the game's apparently been canceled due to layoffs. Again.

Ignition is apparently in the process of transitioning into a publishing-only company, as another round of layoffs have been announced at its London studio following a number in Austin, TX. According to Develop, "redundancies have been issued across the entire London development outfit."

Following last year's cancellation, WarDevil was resurrected under the moniker "Project Kane." While this hasn't been confirmed, Develop has also heard rumors that the game will be allowed to continue if another developer is willing to attach itself to the project. On top of this, there are also rumors that Ignition's Japanese studio will be shut down once it completes it's current project.

Source: Joystiq

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Robot Dante is gonna make all the other robots.... bleed, apparently. Which is a little odd.

Maybe games have gone full circle now and instead of Nazis who run on blue (totally not a shader switch) 'coolant fluid' we now have robots that run on red 'blood'.

Or maybe that game was just going to be terrible.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, as long as Ignition stays in business, I'm happy. They gave me Deadly Premonition, after all.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Well, that game looked unexciting. And WarDevil is a title on par with HellGuy or BloodKill.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
There are ways to show a game that inspire intrigue and interest, but that snippit was definitely not one of them.

I hadn't heard of WarDevil before, and that video didn't excite me at all for it. Sad to see people get laid off, but the company needs to survive.

nexekho

Jan 12, 2011
Why do British games developers even bother? Given all the taxes here, how more expensive hardware and software is, the resulting difficulty of competition in an international market, and the fact it's impossible to make British people give a damn about anything (a terrible match for a high-stress work environment) it just makes no sense to try and run an AAA studio in Britain. None.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
The Gentleman said:
Am I the only one who thought that the trailer was quite boring?
I'd be surprised if anyone got excited about watching that trailer...

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Johnnyallstar said:
There are ways to show a game that inspire intrigue and interest, but that snippit was definitely not one of them.

I hadn't heard of WarDevil before, and that video didn't excite me at all for it. Sad to see people get laid off, but the company needs to survive.
I wish to add that after seeing that exciting trailer I felt a tear roll back into my eye over this.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, as long as Ignition stays in business, I'm happy. They gave me Deadly Premonition, after all.
This. As long as they can still bring me games like Deadly Premonition (hopefully they will), I will support them and hope for their well being. ^^

Also, those pig rat things in the trailer bothered me. And I love both pigs and rats. >>