WoW Goes Free Forever (Except Not)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
WoW Goes Free Forever (Except Not)

Blizzard has revamped the WoW trial account system to let gamers play for free as long as they want.

If you're one of the people who has always been curious about Blizzard's digital crack cocaine World of Warcraft but never quite taken the plunge, you might have looked at the game's Trial Accounts and found that they just weren't good enough. Oh sure, you can play for free, but you can only play for 14 days - and in a world as big as Azeroth, how can you see anything in just 14 days?

Apparently, Blizzard agrees. Today, the Irvine, CA-based developer announced that it would be changing its free trial system to let players play as often as they want, for as long as they want, on as many characters as they want. The normal trial restrictions are still in place, of course: You can't go above level 20, and your ability to send in-game messages and use the in-game auction house is restricted (just in case, y'know, you're a gold farmer).

Still, being able to play up to level 20 on as many characters you want is a pretty good deal, especially since the newbie zones are arguably some of the game's best content following the Cataclysm expansion pack. Hell, you could stop at level 19, twink yourself out, and engage in low-level PvP for free as long as you wanted.

Between this and the faltering subscription numbers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111281-WoW-Veterans-Get-a-Free-Game-for-a-Friend]. That the game is still going strong after six years is kind of incredible, but there's serious competition on the horizon in the form of The Old Republic.

This could be the first step in a completely free-to-play WoW, which would almost certainly be obscenely successful. I'd say that WoW is following in the footsteps of TF2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111259-Team-Fortress-2-Goes-Free-to-Play-Meets-the-Medic], but it doesn't have nearly enough hats for that. Yet.

(PC Gamer [https://us.battle.net/account/creation/wow/signup/])

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
And for roleplayers, having the game at all is half the experience.

Good GOD, they've made Goldshire even scarier.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Good job blizz, I hope this hastens the death of the subscription model. Just introduce microransactions and be done with it.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Oh crap. I might actually be compelled to play WoW now. Why did you do this to me, Blizzard! I've been so good at resisting!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Cool.

I'll try all the classes, THEN SUB. Maybe.

I only got to roll a Gnome Mage in my 14 days.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Good to hear. Not that I plan on playing again but my actual account was done and finished 6+ months ago I would like to check up on old friends in game to see whats what (even if communication is limited via trial accounts).

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Between this and them raising the refer-a-friend XP from level 60 to level 80, they're definitely making a big push. I wish they'd do something for us six year veterans rather than just handing out Vanilla WoW keys.

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
Oh shit. Humanity is really fucked now. We're all going to turn into digital crackheads.

Seriously, there'll be so many more people who will now become woW addicts and who later wish they never were.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Isn't the max level in WoW somewhere close to 80? Because if so then only being able to level to 20 seems like a poor deal when compared to Anarchy Online's (admitedly not the most famous competitor, but it's the one I play) level 200 out of 220 while on a free account.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Erana said:
And for roleplayers, having the game at all is half the experience.

Good GOD, they've made Goldshire even scarier.
Moon Guard bro, Moon Guard, I have a friend who plays there on Alliance and the stories I have heard....... >_>

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Looks like I'll finally be giving WoW a chance...look forward to seeing what the big deal is/was.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I've always been interested in trying this game out, maybe I will get the trial when I get a new computer.

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
Just downloaded WoW on trial a few days ago, now I feel even less pressed to try it! ^.^