Bethesda's Known the Fallout MMO Plan for Years, Interplay Claims

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bethesda's Known the Fallout MMO Plan for Years, Interplay Claims

Interplay's latest court filing contends that despite its claims to the contrary, Bethesda has known for years about its intention to use existing elements of the Fallout universe in its Fallout MMO [http://www.fallout-on-line.com/].

In December 2009, the long-running slapfest between Bethesda and Interplay over the Fallout MMO took an interesting turn [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106407-Bethesda-and-Interplay-Continue-Fallout-MMO-Fight] when Bethesda claimed that the licensing deal between the two companies allowed Interplay to use the Fallout name, and only the Fallout name, in its MMO. In other words, while the game could be called Fallout Online, it could not legally contain any recognizable Fallout content from any of the previous games, which I think it's reasonable to say would make it kind of a crappy Fallout game.

Interplay quickly dismissed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106812-Interplay-Calls-Bethesdas-Fallout-Claim-Absurd] the suggestion as ludicrous and on June 23 filed court documents citing conversations between the two companies going as far back as 2007 that it claims demonstrates that Bethesda knew exactly what Interplay had in mind for the game.

"For at least four years, Bethesda has known that Interplay interpreted its right to create the Fallout-branded MMOG to include copyrighted content from the Fallout universe in order to make the MMOG a recognizable Fallout game," the document says. "Bethesda never objected and did not seek an injunction because it knew Interplay was doing exactly what the parties intended under their agreements."

The filing also dismisses Bethesda's claim that a Fallout MMO would lead to confusion among Fallout 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Game-Year-Pc/dp/B002BXKJA0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1309356548&sr=8-3] fans because of potential conflicts between the two games, calling it "ironic" that Bethesda would be so worried about confusion while at the same time expecting Interplay to make a Fallout MMO using only "incompatible story, characters and art." Bethesda refused opportunities to coordinate plot details during the game's design phase, it adds, although it notes that because of the sheer size of the Fallout design docs - more than 20,000 pages - any conflicts would be minor.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35494/Interplay_Bethesda_Knew_Fallout_MMO_Was_About_More_Than_The_Name.php]

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
Bethesda needs to leave Interplay alone.

This pushing and pulling only damages customers of BOTH companies.

See i enjoy both games, i enjoy Fallout as done by interplay and i enjoy fallout as done by bethesda.
I dont want to choose between the two.

I feel like im the child in a divorce-lawsuit (again).

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
OMG you somebodies mom please pull those two out of the sand box and put them in the quit corner(or beat them with a nerf sword). Bethesda will be stealing enough of my time once skyrim is released this year, STOP IT.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Wow, Bethesda's really coming off as the bad guy in this case. If they hadn't made some of the best RPGs ever, I'd be pretty pissed off with them right now.

As it stands I'm willing to let this slide, because you know, they did make some of the best RPGs ever...

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
Interplay has been well and truly trolled.

You can make a Fallout online game provided you don't use any content similar to previous fallout titles. But you can't call it a Fallout game because that would confuse Fallout fans. That's a pretty hilarious way of telling Interplay to make their own damn series.

As a note, from Wikipedia

"Due to its financial losses, French publisher Titus Interactive completed its acquisition of majority control of the company and caused founder Brian Fargo resign and depart in 2002. In 2003, Interplay shut down Black Isle Studios and laid off the entire staff, until the company was shutdown in 2004 for the eviction notice."

They've never been involved in a Fallout game before.

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
Scytail said:
WHO CARES! Christ, just make the game and split the damn royalties.
Seriously, isn't this entire case over "lore" changes or something trivial?

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
There is no way Interplay is finishing this game. MMOs cost hundreds of millions of dollars and last time I checked Interplay was broke.Not to mention this whole legal battle with Bethesda is going to take whatever money they have left.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
lunncal said:
Wow, Bethesda's really coming off as the bad guy in this case. If they hadn't made some of the best RPGs ever, I'd be pretty pissed off with them right now.

As it stands I'm willing to let this slide, because you know, they did make some of the best RPGs ever...
what does having made the best RPGs have to do with a lawsuit, its not the devs and writers that are sueing, its Behtesda/ZeniMax by extension over an IP lawsuit.

Its like i dont conflate Blizzard with Bobby Kotick and no i wont give Bobby Kotick a pass for WoW...

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
ThisIsSnake said:

"Due to its financial losses, French publisher Titus Interactive completed its acquisition of majority control of the company and caused founder Brian Fargo resign and depart in 2002. In 2003, Interplay shut down Black Isle Studios and laid off the entire staff, until the company was shutdown in 2004 for the eviction notice."

Except that:

"Fallout Online (also known under the codename Project V13 or FOOL) is a massively multiplayer online game (MMOG) set in the Fallout world that is being developed by Interplay and Masthead Studios. Chris Taylor and Mark O'Green, two of the creators of the original Fallout, are among the developers. Jason Anderson, one of the other makers of Fallout, was involved in the project between 2007 and 2009, but has since left the team."

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Online

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Hard to believe Bethesda can spew such absurd bullshit with a straight face and clear conscience. It's absolutely disgusting and intolerable. Oh well, I wasn't looking forward to Skyrim that much anyway. Because I certainly cannot support a company that acts this way.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Who cares, it's going to suck if they ever make it, which I doubt. The talent at Interplay is long gone, moved onto other things.

Edit: And by talent I mean a good amount of people who worked on the original Fallout games.

Mar 30, 2010
ThisIsSnake said:
Interplay has been well and truly trolled.

You can make a Fallout online game provided you don't use any content similar to previous fallout titles. But you can't call it a Fallout game because that would confuse Fallout fans. That's a pretty hilarious way of telling Interplay to make their own damn series.

You do know that when Interplay sold the Fallout IP to Bethesda in 2007 it was sold on the proviso that they retain the licence to produce a Fallout MMO, right?

<a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13515>Don't believe me?

I really don't see how Bethesda has a leg to stand on in this case.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Im a bit surprised that since bethesda is only letting them use the name they dont just make a competing fallout game to troll back since bethesda is pretty much being an ass here

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
adamtm said:
lunncal said:

what does having made the best RPGs have to do with a lawsuit, its not the devs and writers that are sueing, its Behtesda/ZeniMax by extension over an IP lawsuit.

Its like i dont conflate Blizzard with Bobby Kotick and no i wont give Bobby Kotick a pass for WoW...
It doesn't have much to do with the lawsuit, but it does have to do with my perception of the company. If this wasn't Bethesda then I would dislike them for this kind of thing (and therefore be less likely to purchase games from them), but since this is Bethesda, and Bethesda "made some of the best RPGs ever" I'm not really that bothered.

I don't particularly like Activision (or Blizzard actually), and I like them even less due to the actions of Bobby Kotick. No, it's not the devs and writers who control Bobby Kotick, but I'm still less likely to buy Activision games because I don't want any of my money to end up in his hands ( or the hands of the people who hired him, etc).

Frost_King

May 29, 2011
This is odd, I honestly though Interplay went bankrupt and Bethesda bought them out at bargain bin prices for the Fallout game. I didn't know Interplay was still alive, much less kicking this much. So weird and strange. As for the lawsuit I say do it the way gentlemen have done in ages past. Over a game of poker, winner takes Fallout. It would defiantly save on those legal fees.

On a side note, I can't tolerate any game Bethesda makes, everything has this weird look to it that breaks immersion and makes me not want to play. And Bethesda is the /only/ company that does this to me. I call it the Bethesda Look.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I love Bethesda and their games, but what Interplay is claiming here makes an aweful lot of sense.

Seriously, Fallout without anything Fallout? What kind of game was that supposed to be?

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
Ok I love Bethesda games like oblivion and Marrowwind but they have been acting childish toward interplay the court needs to just say "Interplay can make a fallout MMO get over it Bethesda"

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Note to Bethesda / Interplay / whoever the hell is making the next Fallout game:

PLEASE DO "FALLOUT: LONDON" NEXT! As much as I love "Fallout: New Vegas", let's have a game with chavs, mods and rockers. Thankyouverymuch!