Amazon Discounts Child Of Eden

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Amazon Discounts Child Of Eden

What's that? Child of Eden is discounted by $15 at Amazon? Tell us more.

Child of Eden is one of those games that manages to get just about everything right. Don't believe me? Susan Arendt <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8990-Child-of-Eden-Review>gave the game a five-star rating. So did <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/child-of-eden>just about everyone else, for that matter. And if you haven't picked it up, then you should know that the game is currently on sale at Amazon.

At the moment, the game is selling for $35 on the site, down 30% from the normal $50. So, if you've been waiting to pick it up, now's as good a time as any. Unfortunately, the Kinect system <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309458235&sr=8-2>is still selling for $145, but thankfully Child of Eden can be played on a standard controller, too.

So if you're looking for a great game at a discounted price and don't feel like waiting for the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/3405-XBLA-Summer-of-Arcade-2011>Xbox Live Summer of Arcade event to kick off next month, you could definitely do worse.

Source: <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Child-Eden-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H8FK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309438863&sr=8-1>Amazon

Lumzdas

Mar 14, 2011
I'll wait for the PS3 move version, but I do wonder how much it will cost...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
tigermilk said:
When did The Escapist decide banner ads, and adverts before and after videos wasn't enough and opted to sacrifice journalistic integrity in favour of "articles" about a paticular retailer discounting a paticular (apparently near perfect) game?
Our Child of Eden review went up today. Seeing how much we love it may inspire people to pick it up. And helping them save money doing that is sacrificing our journalistic integrity?

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
tigermilk said:
When did The Escapist decide banner ads, and adverts before and after videos wasn't enough and opted to sacrifice journalistic integrity in favour of "articles" about a paticular retailer discounting a paticular (apparently near perfect) game?
You do realize they post whenever Amazon has a good deal on things, right?

How [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109532-Save-61-On-Doctor-Who-At-Amazon-Today] about [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109337-Amazon-Passes-Atlus-Savings-On-To-You] those [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108511-Amazon-Deal-of-the-Day-Arena-Gaming-Headset] apples [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110173-Amazon-Gold-Box-Deal-Games], eh [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109711-Amazon-Deal-of-the-Day-Portal-2]?

I'm sure I could have found more.

I might pick this game up, I have a Kinect sitting there collecting dust as of lately. This would get it to be used.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
tigermilk said:
Our Child of Eden review went up today. Seeing how much we love it may inspire people to pick it up. And helping them save money doing that is sacrificing our journalistic integrity?
Highlighting your review I do not feel compromises your integrity. Plugging a specific retailer I feel could be yes. This article stands out to me as I have not seen The Escapist highlighting offers by specific retailers before. And while I am not suggesting Amazon had any influence upon your posting of this article (beyond offering the game at a discounted price) they do have a history of 'mutually beneficial' pomotional tactics.

EDIT:

Scizophrenic Llama said:
tigermilk said:
You do realize they post whenever Amazon has a good deal on things, right?

How [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109532-Save-61-On-Doctor-Who-At-Amazon-Today] about [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109337-Amazon-Passes-Atlus-Savings-On-To-You] those [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108511-Amazon-Deal-of-the-Day-Arena-Gaming-Headset] apples [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110173-Amazon-Gold-Box-Deal-Games], eh [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109711-Amazon-Deal-of-the-Day-Portal-2]?

I'm sure I could have found more.

I might pick this game up, I have a Kinect sitting there collecting dust as of lately. This would get it to be used.
If you are suggesting The Escapist has an Amazon bias (as your links would suggest) then I think we are somewhat in agreement. Well I thought it was problematic at first now your links do rather suggest a lack of objectivity/integrity.

Upon further reading I see that The Escapist have not highlighted products solely from Amazon, but the five deals highlighted viewed back to back doesn't show The Escapist in the best of lights. Not that I am saying there is a bias here just drawing a number of articles together does serve to create a certain unpleasent consistency.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
tigermilk said:
Susan Arendt said:
tigermilk said:
Highlighting your review I do not feel compromises your integrity. Plugging a specific retailer I feel could be yes. This article stands out to me as I have not seen The Escapist highlighting offers by specific retailers before. And while I am not suggesting Amazon had any influence upon your posting of this article (beyond offering the game at a discounted price) they do have a history of 'mutually beneficial' pomotional tactics.
As the poster above you points out, we highlight deals all the time - on Amazon, on Steam, on GOG. We just want to help members of the community get cool stuff for less, it's really just that simple.

Whatever Amazon's past tactics may be, you jumped to a conclusion and accused of us having questionable ethics, which was utterly unfair and unwarranted.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
tigermilk said:
Susan Arendt said:
tigermilk said:
As the poster above you points out, we highlight deals all the time - on Amazon, on Steam, on GOG. We just want to help members of the community get cool stuff for less, it's really just that simple.

Whatever Amazon's past tactics may be, you jumped to a conclusion and accused of us having questionable ethics, which was utterly unfair and unwarranted.
I feel I was very careful to not jump to any explicit conclusions merely highlighted the possibility "I feel could be yes". You are right though Amazon's past actions should not reflect upon The Escapist as a company or collective and I apologise if I implied they did. I will also concede that I was not aware you highlight a number of companies, my impression from the above post was The Escapist only highlighted offers from amazon which with all due respect could appear suspect.

On a slightly off topic note has The Escapist considered 'stickying' (fixing at the top of the forum index) a "special offers" thread where all Escapist posters irrelevent of nationality (and subsequently access to websites/postage and region issues with ease) could post special offers?

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
helping them save money doing that is sacrificing our journalistic integrity?
Can we expect an article on what to look out for in the steam sale today susan?

Also this article's metacritic link is the first time I think I've seen the escapist featured on metacritic

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Actual said:
Hold up tigermilk, the website administrators have little integrity, shown by the very shady advertising practices, but the journalists themselves have done nothing to warrant suspicion, their articles tend to be very even-handed. The only bias I've seen is to defend gaming as a reflex and we can't really hold that against gamers.

On topic: I can't tell what this game is about, in the trailer the guy was waving his hands about but didn't seem to be controlling anything. What's that about?
While I could not comment on the autonomy of individual journalists for any publication, but (and this is not aimed at The Escapist) journalists may find there autonomy hindered by political or editorial discourse. An example where this is apparent would be News Corp (owned by Rupert Murdoch) in all its guises. Just to clarify I am in no position to offer 'facts' as to the objectivity of The Escapist in any form, but I feel it is healthy to question business practices that may be unsavoury whether they transpire to be so or not. As is the case in this discussion Susan Ardent has highlighted that The Escapist do not solely plug Amazon products, but have written articles on at least three retailers posing them in a positive light through specific offers.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
tigermilk said:
They've been an affiliate for quite some time now. Have you never realized that amazon links are everywhere on this site?
Whenever an article mentions something you can buy, there's a referral. Every review, every episode of ZP, whatever, it all has refs at the end.
Not that there's anything "wrong" with it, it's like that everywhere on the internet, but...
Susan Arendt said:
...filing advertisements as news goes against the journalistic Codes of Ethics in various nations, although I don't know if it does in the US.
Make of that what you will.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Flying Dagger said:
Susan Arendt said:
helping them save money doing that is sacrificing our journalistic integrity?
Can we expect an article on what to look out for in the steam sale today susan?

Also this article's metacritic link is the first time I think I've seen the escapist featured on metacritic
Probably - depends on how quickly the newsies bolt to take advantage of the holiday weekend. :)

We've actually been on Metacritic for a while now.

johnzaku

Jun 16, 2009
This really quickly turned into an argument over journalistic integrity.

I honestly feel Escapist is justified in this because yes I have seen them draw attention to great deals everywhere.

How is that bad? It'e their specific job to give us advice on good or bad games. And when a game they really liked is on sale, how is it different from a friend giving us the same advice?

In a way I think it is fulfilling their journalistic obligations of keeping us informed on the current related market.

Staskala said:
...filing advertisements as news goes against the journalistic Codes of Ethics in various nations, although I don't know if it does in the US.
It's not an advertisement if escapist in no way profits from the "plug". If they are then yeah I'll admit I'm wrong and wipe the egg off my face. But I've yet to see an amazon ad or banner.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
johnzaku said:
This really quickly turned into an argument over journalistic integrity.

I honestly feel Escapist is justified in this because yes I have seen them draw attention to great deals everywhere.

How is that bad? It'e their specific job to give us advice on good or bad games. And when a game they really liked is on sale, how is it different from a friend giving us the same advice?

In a way I think it is fulfilling their journalistic obligations of keeping us informed on the current related market.

Staskala said:
It's not an advertisement if escapist in no way profits from the "plug". If they are then yeah I'll admit I'm wrong and wipe the egg off my face. But I've yet to see an amazon ad or banner.
Amazon works over referrals, where each affiliate has a specific ID.
When you click that link and buy something, amazon knows where the buyer came from and the escapist gets 4% of the sale.

By the way, I'm not accusing anyone here, although I'm well aware that it sounds like it.
After all, compared to what the mainstream media does smaller online outlets are saints.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
vansau said:
Unfortunately, the Kinect system <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309458235&sr=8-2>is still selling for $145, but thankfully Child of Eden can be played on a standard controller, too.
Last week, Amazon was running a deal to get $100 credit if you bought a 360+Kinect bundle, which I took advantage of. Unfortunately, I just checked, and it looks like the deal is over.

After seeing Susan playing it in the office, I picked up Child of Eden earlier today using this deal. With next-day shipping, so it'll get here in time for me to play over the long weekend :p

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Wait, so someone informing you about a deal is now bad, or at least not good in terms of journalist integrity? You know what, next time, don't bother, keep all the deals to yourself :p

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
tigermilk said:
I think he is trying to vent his frustration with your Gaikai ads. I haven't seen any today but for future reference please.... never again.

*Gets on knees and begs*