Bungie Aerospace Launches Bungie to New Places

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

Bungie Aerospace is a brand new venture for the former house of Halo.

Bungie primarily became known as the developer and creator of the Halo franchise, but left the series behind when it broke off from Microsoft to work under Activision instead. The company has been tight-lipped about its current actions, though Bungie recently announced at least one new project it's been working on. Rumors have been mentioning something called Bungie Aerospace lately, and it's a real thing, but not one of Bungie's new games.

Bungie officially announced that Bungie Aerospace is a new venture through which the company will help independent developers create mobile and social games. These developers will get a ton of support and the benefits of being associated with a popular name.

For example, Bungie Aerospace will assist developers with finances, marketing & PR, QA/testing, release management, and technology expertise. In addition, any developer working in the Bungie Aerospace program will automatically acquire Bungie's enormous audience.

Bungie hopes to attract anyone from college students to seasoned developers. The first Bungie Aerospace partnership is with Jordan Weisman's Harebrained Schemes [http://www.harebrained-schemes.com/], which is working on an iOS and Android title called Crimson. Details haven't yet been announced, but we'll hear more about Crimson in the coming weeks.

Apr 28, 2008
So, to put it crudely, it's their publishing arm. Alright then. Not what I expected, but whatev's.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
This is actually pretty exciting. It'll be interesting to see what talent Bungie manages to nuture.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Bungie Aerospace Corporation

somehow I picture them ending up opening a gate to hell in some planet

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
teh_Canape said:

Nice DOOM reference ;)

I was sitting here thinking that since NASA is no more, Bungie had picked up where they left off. Fat chance haha.

Stamaris

Sep 13, 2010
As a worker in the aerospace industry, I was much more excited by the title of this article than the content. Oh well, I guess this is good, too.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
CLEVERSLEAZOID said:
teh_Canape said:

Nice DOOM reference ;)

I was sitting here thinking that since NASA is no more, Bungie had picked up where they left off. Fat chance haha.
John Carmack is taking care of that

now that I think about it, he created Doom, in which a gate to hell is opened in Mars, and then the demons take over Earth

and now he's working on space technology in Armadillo Aerospace...

tinfoilhat.jpg

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009

I immediately thought of CPt...

OT: Well, not what I expected, but this could be interesting...

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I knew Aerospace wasn't their next franchise and I was expecting some type of publishing-esque thing or a social hub for their future endeavors so I'm not terribly surprised by it.

The mobile/social world isn't exactly the realm of gaming I'm very interested in but they can help dev's get a start and then let the best move on to the AAA industry or even start up a company that can develop more traditional games for consoles and the PC of their own. Bungie did start as 7 guys in a garage after all why can't some other super developer of the future? I'm sure they have a bit of a soft spot for those small garage dev's because of their humble beginnings.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Irridium said:
So, to put it crudely, it's their publishing arm. Alright then. Not what I expected, but whatev's.
Pretty much. It's Bungie's take on The Indie Fund, essentually.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
teh_Canape said:
CLEVERSLEAZOID said:
teh_Canape said:

Nice DOOM reference ;)

John Carmack is taking care of that

now that I think about it, he created Doom, in which a gate to hell is opened in Mars, and then the demons take over Earth

and now he's working on space technology in Armadillo Aerospace...

tinfoilhat.jpg
To be honest I thought it would be something like Armadillo...

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
Damnit! Here I thought I was one step closer to a real ODST drop. Must I choke a ***** Bungie?!