Carpe Fulgur Picks Out Third Japanese Indie Project

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

The localization group behind Steam hit Recettear already has a third project in the works.

Chantelise [http://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/] in early 2011. Perhaps because its success continues to grow, Carpe Fulgur has already announced a third project before Chantelise has had a chance to see daylight.

[gallery=386]

Carpe Fulgur hammered out a deal to handle a game called Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone, developed by Lizsoft rather than EasyGameStation this time. Carpe Fulgur's Andrew Dice describes Fortune Summoners as a "side-scrolling platformer action-RPG, cut from the same sort of cloth as Zelda II, Wonder Boy or the original Ys III" that features combat and puzzle elements that will at times require clever usage of the game's three party members. Fortune Summoners' party members consist of three females: a strong swordfighter, a water spellcaster, and a fire spellcaster.

These screens are a first look at Carpe Fulgur's work on the game, which it says is progressing very quickly. A Japanese trailer is below, with gameplay that kicks off about halfway through.

Dice hopes to get Fortune Summoners on virtual shelves sometime between November-December 2011, though a demo will be available earlier. Meanwhile, he believes that Chantelise will be released by the end of July. Here's the Chantelise trailer.

Both titles look like more of the fun, somewhat complex gameplay buried in a super-cutesy exterior as seen in Recettear. Carpe Fulgur seems to know its stuff when it comes to Japanese indie games, so I'm looking forward to seeing what these games offer, other than repeated, high-pitched squeals that force me to turn down my speakers lest neighbors think I'm doing something freaky.

Source: Carpe Fulgur [http://www.carpefulgur.com/drakblog/?p=17]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Coo.

Not really my thing, but it's nice to see a bit of variety.

Zyr

Jan 9, 2008
Sober Thal said:
This is a great thing. Recettear is a great game, probably the best thing I've bought from STEAM during the last holiday sale. I can't wait to play these new titles!
Recettear is indead a very good game, and more importantly for it's success, the translation is impeccable.

Triggerhappy938

Dec 10, 2007
Nintendo doesn't have the resources to localize Japanese indie titles. Hence, Carpe Fulgur is more successful than Nintendo.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Tom Goldman said:

The localization group behind Steam hit Recettear already has a third project in the works.

Chantelise [http://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/] in early 2011.
Do you mean 2012?

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Still not going to give into the hype. All business simulators are the same, and I have too many other JRPGs in my backlog that I actually give a sh** about. Fusing an unrelated genre with a JRPG might have sold me on other games in the past, but business management sim? No. Just, no.

kazriko

Apr 6, 2009
Yay! They finally got in touch with Lizsoft. They've been mentioning it repeatedly for months. :)

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
RelexCryo said:
Tom Goldman said:

Do you mean 2012?
Nope, I'm fairly sure it's 2011 (I was saying they announced it in 2011).

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
RelexCryo said:
Tom Goldman said:

Do you mean 2012?
Nope, I'm fairly sure it's 2011 (I was saying they announced it in 2011).
My bad, you're right, I misread it. I apologize.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
leet_x1337 said:
Still not going to give into the hype. All business simulators are the same, and I have too many other JRPGs in my backlog that I actually give a sh** about. Fusing an unrelated genre with a JRPG might have sold me on other games in the past, but business management sim? No. Just, no.
From what I understand, Chantelise, being an earlier game from the company that made Recettear, is much more focused on the dungeon crawl aspect, and I don't see anything about Fortune Summoner's that screams "Business sim" at me, and even if it has some elements at that the gameplay in the trailer is wildly different from Recettear.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Duskflamer said:
leet_x1337 said:
From what I understand, Chantelise, being an earlier game from the company that made Recettear, is much more focused on the dungeon crawl aspect, and I don't see anything about Fortune Summoner's that screams "Business sim" at me, and even if it has some elements at that the gameplay in the trailer is wildly different from Recettear.
I was talking about Recettear, but, okay...

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
leet_x1337 said:
Duskflamer said:
leet_x1337 said:
I was talking about Recettear, but, okay...
My apologies then, I thought you were referring to the upcoming games.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
I just pray that they're considering translating some Touhou-games as well...

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
dunno about chantelise, but fortune summoners looks really good fun.

Captcha: 181-1 publarym

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Oh hell yes. It's like a sprite-laden, all-girl Trine.

leet_x1337 said:
So... try the demo? At least then you'll have some basis on which to criticize the game.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
mireko said:
Oh hell yes. It's like a sprite-laden, all-girl Trine.

leet_x1337 said:
So... try the demo? At least then you'll have some basis on which to criticize the game.
Buy at 65, sell at 125. How much more than this do I need to know to have fun?

Also, the only pink bishoujo ghetto I've ever been involved with, and have plans to ever be involved with, is Touhou. Nothing else in any medium that's any more than 85% female appeals to me, and I only do Touhou because of the gameplay.