Report: Rockstar Saved LA Noire, Won't Work With Team Bondi Again

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Report: Rockstar Saved LA Noire, Won't Work With Team Bondi Again

It apparently took the publisher's money, staff, and creative direction to get the game to market.

Apparently, It's not just employees that have been treated badly [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111340-IGDA-Investigating-L-A-Noire-Dev] by Team Bondi: LA Noire [http://www.amazon.com/L-Noire-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309867485&sr=8-1] publisher Rockstar is supposedly not all that impressed with the studio either. So much so, in fact, that it apparently doesn't want to work with Team Bondi in the future.

According to sources within the studio, LA Noire's success has as much to do with Rockstar steering the project away from disaster as anything that anything that Team Bondi did. Had it not been for Rockstar's financial support, the source said, Team Bondi would have closed down years ago. Rockstar also contributed staff to the project - which was apparently sorely lacking animators, which is said to be the reason the open world is a so spartan - and overruled a number of the more outrageous ideas the Team Bondi management came up with.

This is what is said to have soured the relationship between Team Bondi and Rockstar: Rockstar - which was once eyeing the studio as a possible "Rockstar Sydney" - was unhappy with Team Bondi's direction, while Team Bondi was unhappy with the amount of creative control the publisher was taking.

"Every dog has its day and there's going to be hell to pay for this one," studio boss Brendan McNamara wrote in an email mistakenly sent out to everyone at Team Bondi. "I'll never forget being treated like an absolute **** by these people." McNamara claimed that he was referring to negative comments on news articles, but according to the source, he was really referring to Rockstar, after the publisher left the Team Bondi logo off an announcement showing off a new LA Noire logo in October of last year.

McNamara has promised [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110280-LA-Noire-Sequel-Will-Have-New-Tech-But-Wont-Take-as-Long-to-Make] big things for LA Noire 2, but it sounds like Team Bondi will have something of an uphill struggle getting another game out the door. If even half the claims from the whistleblowers - which you can read in more detail here [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-07-05-revealed-the-internal-emails-that-provoked-whistle-blowing-at-team-bondi-blog-entry?page=1] - are true, then you have a studio that treats its staff exceptionally poorly and is run rather poorly. That's not a particularly attractive proposition for a publisher.

Source: Games Industry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-07-05-revealed-the-internal-emails-that-provoked-whistle-blowing-at-team-bondi-blog-entry?page=1]

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
A lot seems to be going against Team Bondi right now. First thee accusations of mistreatment of employees and now Rockstar cutting ties. I always wondered why during the hype of the game more emphasis was put on Rockstar and not Bondi and I think I know why now.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Poor game ideas? A complete disregard for employees? I'm surprised EA hasn't bought the studio yet.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
All reports paint McNamara as a total douche. If TB sacked him they'd be better for it. Much better.

Much like Activision and Bobby Kotick actually...

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Riobux said:
Poor game ideas? A complete disregard for employees? I'm surprised EA hasn't bought the studio yet.
EA hire those guys only for upper management. Now look, if they were competent like...Westwood, or Bullfrog, or Origin, or Pandemic, or Bioware...now then there is a potential to **** them up.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Adzma said:
All reports paint McNamara as a total douche.
Yeah, I'm actually impressed at how much this guy managed to piss off so many people. Regardless, I'd want to see a bit more proof other than hearsay and information from hidden sources before I write Team Bondi off entirely.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
All of this makes me very sad. It's hard to imagine how a game with this many development issues could've turned out so great. Well, at least, in my opinion.

Also, if that means no sequel, that's heartbreaking news.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
That's truly a shame. I enjoyed LA Noire immensely. It really does sound like a sequel is far less likely now.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Traun said:
Riobux said:
EA hire those guys only for upper management. Now look, if they were competent like...Westwood, or Bullfrog, or Origin, or Pandemic, or Bioware...now then there is a potential to **** them up.
Gaaah. I allmost succeded forgetting the downfall of Command and Conquer. Thanks for that.

OT: Seems bitter. On the other hand: Rockstar sounds a bit like "nununu" there.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
<Quote=Quote>...and overruled a number of the more outrageous ideas the Team Bondi management came up with.I'm curious as to what those ideas were. Often devs come up with great ideas but management shoots it down because of resource limitations. Outrageous doesn't always mean bad.

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
Man I wanted to buy LA Noire... But if any of these are true I would feel bad for supporting those assholes, on the other hand the poor animators and stuff need the money.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
The story of LA Noire isn't opened well for a sequel anyway.
Especally since Cole died, they would have to create a completly new character

violent_quiche

May 12, 2011
Dissappointing. "Rockstar Sydney" might have given the local industry a boost, but all reports on development suggest that it was run more like a sweatshop and that we can do without. If you're crunching your developers all the time, your doing it wrong

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Worst thing about this whole saga is how bad it makes the Australian games industry look. There are so many game developers in NA and the EU that they can afford to have a few assholes, but there are only a handful of Australian devs.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
PoweD said:
The story of LA Noire isn't opened well for a sequel anyway.
That would be exactly the sort of sequel I would have expected anyway. Writing focussed games should be less focussed on bringing a character back, as telling a new story. It wouldn't be hard since it was exactly what they did in the first game and what helped make the first game great.

But personally, surely a spirtual sequel would have been much better here? We don't want Bioshock 2 but Bioshock Infinite. It's a shame about the name tying it down so much. LAPD 2? It'd be more of the same, but bringing back the adventure style gameplay and the clever dialogue system to made even a different genre? That I could get behind

Ritalynn

Sep 22, 2010
I enjoyed LA Noire until i realized i was just pressing X to watch a movie. IT took all the fun out of it. It's not a game. It's a visual book with no fun involved.

Glad i got it for 40 and took it back for 40.