Replace Your Sight With Bionic Glasses

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Replace Your Sight With Bionic Glasses

An advanced set of glasses invented by Oxford scientists uses common technology to give the visually impaired a view of the world straight out of science fiction.

The specs, which will be displayed at the 2011 Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition in the UK, utilize technology ripped from ubiquitous smartphones and gaming consoles to enhance the complex process of human sight.

PhysOrg explains:

The glasses have video cameras mounted at the corners to capture what the wearer is looking at, while a display of tiny lights embedded in the see-through lenses of the glasses feed back extra information about objects, people or obstacles in view.

In between, a smartphone-type computer running in your pocket recognises objects in the video image or tracks where a person is, driving the lights in the display in real time.

The extra information the glasses display about their surroundings should allow people to navigate round a room, pick out the most relevant things and locate objects placed nearby.

The goal here, researchers claim, is to utilize the glasses' rudimentary heads-up display to augment the deteriorating vision of people suffering from most common types of vision loss.

"We want to be able to enhance vision in those who've lost it or who have little left or almost none. The glasses should allow people to be more independent -- finding their own directions and signposts, and spotting warning signals," said Dr Stephen Hicks of the Department of Clinical Neurology at Oxford University.

The best bit is that since the technology is already widely available in smartphones, these glasses would be rather inexpensive. Hicks estimates a cost of "around £500" (roughly $800USD) for a finished production model.

The specs are still a long way from retail -- Hicks' team is still assembling prototypes -- but the researchers have been given a grant from the UK's National Institute of Health Research to conduct a year-long feasibility study. Barring major catastrophe, people should be testing the glasses within their own homes by 2012.

Speaking as someone who wears glasses both because my eyes are slowly turning into entirely useless meatorbs and for aesthetic reasons, I'm a bit torn on this concept. Yeah, enhanced vision and a simplified heads-up display would be useful the next time I'm inexplicably caught in a deadly game of cat and mouse with a Russian spy, but based on the imagery Hicks' team has been circulating, these glasses are straight out of Buddy Holly's premortem wardrobe.

I just don't know if I'm comfortable trading my sex appeal for anything less than laser beams and/or x-ray vision.

Source: PhysOrg [http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-07-bionic-glasses-poor-vision.html]

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
great, now when can i replace my eyes with the ones from the deus ex trailer? I have been wearing glasses since i was 7, i deserve bionic eyes.

One of Many

Feb 3, 2010
Can I get a visor, like Geordi's? Cause that would be really cool and would make up for being forced to have poor eye sight by mother nature.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
This sounds like a really helpful thing for many people.
I hope it works out fine!!!

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Pretty cool, but I don't think they would be useful except for those with the absolute worst vision. Glasses and contacts still work fine for me and I have pretty bad vision (worse than pretty much everyone I've ever met).

Apr 28, 2008
teebeeohh said:
great, now when can i replace my eyes with the ones from the deus ex trailer? I have been wearing glasses since i was 7, i deserve bionic eyes.
Six for me.

BIONIC EYES NAO!

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
I love that the second comment is a reference to Geordi Laforge's VISOR from TNG.

Seriously, this is cool. how much for the IR version?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
List of potential problems from a cynics perspective:

Wouldn't LEDs next to your eyes make you lose your vision faster?

The next terrible Hitch movie will probably have date advice sent wirelessly to the glasses.

If that's not bad enough, imagine spam popups wherever you go!

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
I want these. NOW!
I've been wearing glasses since I was 8-ish, and I think I deserve a bit of a break now. How much extra for extending the spectrum from IR to UV?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well they just took a step back in innovation, you do know optical chips are being implanted into peoples eyes already, so how about we get on with that... I want those to be fully developed till I get old damn it!

And if someone's vision is really so far gone that normal glasses don't help how the heck will they see the HUD, I think someone just wanted funding for some cool toys.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I knew that my bad eyesight would pay off!

Give a HP and ammo counter and I am sold!

OT: Damn, The future is getting closer and closer...And it is awesome!

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Glasses would be a bit odd, how would you read something so close to your eyes, I mean, write something on your glasses, wear them and try to read it, it's impossible.

Also, those glasses are horribly chunky, aesthetically it may look better if they used googles, and then I could run around pretending to be Erwin Rommel, shouting "Blitzkrieg!" at everyone.

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
I predict HUDs in 8-10 years... Just add one of those shirts that measures your vital signs and you're set.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Why don't they just put an OLED display on the glasses? They're almost transparent, and can be bent to fit the shape of the glass. I don't know, it just sounds like a better idea than to have big LED's inside the glass.

gCrusher

Mar 17, 2011
deathninja said:
If it warns about legos, plugs and coffee tables I'm sold.
Also, d4s on the ground.

Here's hoping we get ones that do other things, like linking to Google Maps and setting up destinations ala GTA or other sandbox games. Digital compass and all that. That's what I want my HUD to do.

Sure, they're fancy glasses when it's all said and done, but it beats having bionic eyes that could mess up and require a reboot.