The More You Know

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The More You Know

Not everything in Hollywood is what it appears to be.

Read Full Article

AlexanderPeregrine

Nov 19, 2009
Let's not forget that even if a movie is made and set for release, they might back out at the last minute, anyway. Until you're in the theater watching it, it's not really "finished".

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
Y'know a Devil May Cry movie starring the "New" Dante was announced.

After reading this, I'm happy to say that I believe it will never be made.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
superman lives is one such ill fated 'made but not made' movie

pandasaw

Mar 18, 2011
Green Lantern was one of the worst movies I have ever watched in a movie theater. I was tempted to walk out, but I have to finish a movie I started watching. Atleast we will not have to view another green turd at the movie theater for a long time.

Wise Bass

Jul 8, 2011
I think it's even more perverse when they make the big-budget movie . . . then decide that it's a clunker doomed to fail, and deliberately cut back its release and advertising to almost nothing. That's happened with several movies I can think of off the top of my head, such as Outlander (which had a very limited opening and no advertising) and Pathfinder (which had some very limited advertising early on that then disappeared - I didn't even know that it had been released when it was).

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Wise Bass said:
I think it's even more perverse when they make the big-budget movie . . . then decide that it's a clunker doomed to fail, and deliberately cut back its release and advertising to almost nothing. That's happened with several movies I can think of off the top of my head, such as Outlander (which had a very limited opening and no advertising) and Pathfinder (which had some very limited advertising early on that then disappeared - I didn't even know that it had been released when it was).
Yes, that leads to a self-fulfilling prophecy where the movie execs can pat themselves on the back at the end for "calling" the movie would do poorly.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Was I the only guy here who LIKED Green Lantern? Sure, it was no Dark Knight, but I'd give it a B. Nothing fresh and new, but still not a disaster like everyone seems to say.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
Why wouldn't they make a sequel? Maybe they learned from their mistakes. Yes, it can happen. I mean, it can't be much worse anyway, can it?

It's much better than if they'd say - well, superhero movies don't make money, so we'll just make another street racing movie.
Nope. Superhero movies are making bank lately. See Batman/Thor etc. POS Superhero movies flop.

Unfortunatly you are right about street racing movies...Who watches that crap? I feel about Fast Furious like Bob feels about Transformers.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Nooners said:
Was I the only guy here who LIKED Green Lantern? Sure, it was no Dark Knight, but I'd give it a B. Nothing fresh and new, but still not a disaster like everyone seems to say.
Well my preteen daughters liked it...

Theres always that bad movie that you kind of like.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
As thrilled as I always am to read your writing, Bob...

Anything worth talking about that doesn't involve Green Lantern and how bad it was? I guess we're just in a serious deadzone of film news until the Captain hits theaters.

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
Nooners said:
So, we should award mediocrity with above average grades...
If you really felt that way about Green Lantern then be honest, you?d be giving it a C.
Not bad is not good enough, we can do better.

Wise Bass

Jul 8, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
Why wouldn't they make a sequel? Maybe they learned from their mistakes. Yes, it can happen. I mean, it can't be much worse anyway, can it?
It depends on how well the Green Lantern actually does once the sales revenue of DVDs, Video-On-Demand rentals, and merchandise is factored in. If it's enough that they think a second Green Lantern movie could be made with stricter budget supervision, they'll make it.

That's what happened with the Narnia franchise. It was deemed successful enough despite the second movie's gigantic budget and marketing expenses to be profitable enough to make a third movie on a lower budget.

All that said, I don't think Green Lantern will get a sequel. The biggest reason why is the very weak foreign response to the film. Since high-budget comic book films are partially made because of the potential for massive world-wide sales, not getting those sales is devastating.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
KingWumpus said:
Let's not forget that even if a movie is made and set for release, they might back out at the last minute, anyway. Until you're in the theater watching it, it's not really "finished".
Honestly, I'd say that's not even the case any more. When you get directors and producers talking about all of the stuff they have planned for the eventual Ultimate Expanded Blue Ray Makes You Toast Edition before the theatrical release has even hit the screens, even sitting watching a "completed" movie doesn't mean it's completed.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I've heard from two friends so far that they liked Green Lantern.
So, uh.

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Wise Bass said:
That's what happened with the Narnia franchise. It was deemed successful enough despite the second movie's gigantic budget and marketing expenses to be profitable enough to make a third movie on a lower budget.
Except you'll not the 3rd movie was NOT associated with Disney... Disney dropped out from the probject, I believe 20th Century Fox came onboard for the budget portion, while Walden still did the work. The 2nd movie was a terrible adaptation anyway, especially when compared with the first one. The 3rd was pretty good, and what they did change made sense in the context of a movie, so I was okay with it. I'll be curious to see if they make a 4th and whether it will be The Magicians Nephew or if it will be The Silver Chair.

Oh, and Uhm... OT: Thanks for the info Bob, I've always been sort of curious about where 'movies' disappear to after they are 'announced' and then years later 'cancelled.'