Project Mimicry Takes Being a "Sandbox" Game Very Seriously

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Project Mimicry Takes Being a "Sandbox" Game Very Seriously

[vimeo=25666910]​
Many games claim to be sandbox titles, but Project Mimicry actually uses real sand.

After Grand Theft Auto III's free-form open world revolutionized how developers structure their worlds, "sandbox" games became one of the most popular genres in the industry. The name seemed apt: A player could follow the main story or just screw around making his or her own fun, like one could do in an actual sandbox.

Project Mimicry, a game developed by Dutch studio Monobanda [http://mimicry.monobanda.nl/], is a different kind of sandbox game - in that it's an augmented-reality game played in an actual sandbox.

The concept, as demonstrated in the video above, is wicked cool, and consists of two parts. Real-world players interact with the actual sandbox, sculpting and digging and shaping the sand as they please. This sand then becomes the setting for the virtual players, who use standard gaming controllers to guide little balls through the levels sculpted by the ones in the sandbox. The in-game characters can color the surface in paint, which is then reflected in real life as a little trail of light on the sand.

You can see the sand being deformed in real-time in the game, and while it doesn't seem to have much of a point, it's a sandbox game - it's not really supposed to!

Also, those colors are very, very pretty.

(Via RPS [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/08/project-mimicry-is-a-sandbox-game/])

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Hmm, a different type of game...but I could see it end up being like Universe Sandbox. Really cool, but eventually boring.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009

I really like the realtime shifting of the whole terrain. I don't know just how far they plan to take this, but I like what I see.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Now we only need someone to hook this thing up to Just Cause 2, THEN I would be head-over-heels for this technology. Make it happen, internet!

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Vohn_exel said:
Hmm, a different type of game...but I could see it end up being like Universe Sandbox. Really cool, but eventually boring.
My thoughts exactly. First thing I thought of was Universe Sandbox. And how fucking boring it will be, and already is.
Yeah, I mean I LOVE Universe Sandbox but after firing the moon at the Earth a few times, you get kind of bored. I got to the point where I was flinging galaxies at each other, and creating suns so large that the galaxy is LITERALLY inside it. Then I'd blow them up to see what they looked like. Turns out they're giant atoms, lol. But anyway, yeah you eventually get bored of doing it all over and over again. I can't see me enjoying this game for more then a few hours.