Space Invaders Moving Downward Toward Movie Theaters

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Space Invaders Moving Downward Toward Movie Theaters

A Space Invaders movie is in the works, whether that makes any sense or not.

For anyone that wandered into this article by accident, Space Invaders is an arcade game released in 1978 about a group of aliens that slowly move back-and-forth and downward toward the player's ship-tank-shooty thing. Not exactly something that you can make a movie out of, right? Wrong.

Heat Vision reports that producers Lorenzo di Bonaventura, who has worked on Transformers and G.I. Joe, and Gigi Pritzker, currently working on the Ender's Game movie, have optioned the rights to create a film based on the classic arcade title. They're searching for a writer that can somehow create a story around a game that has absolutely no story.

Optioning Space Invaders isn't necessarily a stupid move, as the game has a ton of name recognition. However, more likely than not it'll be your typical alien-invasion flick with exploding buildings (one of them probably the White House or the Empire State Building) and a single human that turns the tide against the foreign invaders with heart and bravery.

It's as if someone optioned Pong and turned it into a heartfelt drama about two tennis players that go through hardships and eventually face each other at Wimbledon. You've basically attached a popular name to something that has absolutely no bearing on the content inside of the product. Consumers are (typically) smart enough to stay away from things like that.

Bonaventura also has his hand in the pot of the Asteroids [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110843-2012-Director-Roland-Emmerich-Offered-Asteroids-Film] movie, another classic arcade game being brought to the big screen. Maybe if he combines the two, and a bunch of other classic games, something worth watching might be created. Now that could be cool, but I'll need a producer credit.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/space-invaders-video-game-headed-208968]

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
A movie about aliens invading Earth that's also based on a video game? Wow. That means the movie's unoriginal AND is going suck.

Pass. When's the Rock'em Sock'em Robots movie coming out?

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
-.- this brand reckognition shit has got to stop. Need a new procedural cop show? just cough up another CSI or NCIS... Its happening to games far too often...look at DmC T.T

Feb 13, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
However, more likely than not it'll be your typical alien-invasion flick with exploding buildings (one of them probably the White House or the Empire State Building) and a single human that turns the tide against the foreign invaders with heart and bravery.
Wow, that doesn't sound like any recent events...
You've basically attached a popular name to something that has absolutely no bearing on the content inside of the product. Consumers are (typically) smart enough to stay away from things like that.

Oh, totally. Consumers are a really smart bunch.

You know that we used to say these sort of things as satire? Whatever happened to those days?

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
I reckon if they did something that kind of suited the legacy of Space Invaders then it could maybe work in a wierd sort of way. Like if they watched the Last Starfighter and Scott Pilgrim while high before each shoot, kept everything exactly the same as in the videogame and just loaded it up with homages to arcade culture and jokes about old videogames.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Gigi Pritzker, currently working on the Ender's Game movie
Wait, an Ender's Game movie is somewhere in production? I am happy. Well, cautiously optimistic.

varulfic said:
When's the Rock'em Sock'em Robots movie coming out?
7th of October, apparently

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
Pegghead said:
I reckon if they did something that kind of suited the legacy of Space Invaders then it could maybe work in a wierd sort of way. Like if they watched the Last Starfighter and Scott Pilgrim while high before each shoot, kept everything exactly the same as in the videogame and just loaded it up with homages to arcade culture and jokes about old videogames.
My thoughts exactly. Last Star fighter is what this movie would probably be. Alternatively, could mention the fact that the only reason the ships got faster was because the original machine couldn't handle the speed of all the ships at once.

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
FINALLY! maybe now Space Invaders will get a decent story with a tie-in game, I always thought Space Invaders games were fun but the story IMO sucked. People that are against this need to realize that Space Invaders needs this to remain relevant, but they wont listen so what "Haters Gonna Hate".

/sarcasm

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Hopefully, they will base it on this clasic hit

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Tom Goldman said:
However, more likely than not it'll be your typical alien-invasion flick with exploding buildings (one of them probably the White House or the Empire State Building) and a single human that turns the tide against the foreign invaders with heart and bravery.
Wow, that doesn't sound like any recent events...
You've basically attached a popular name to something that has absolutely no bearing on the content inside of the product. Consumers are (typically) smart enough to stay away from things like that.

Oh, totally. Consumers are a really smart bunch.

You know that we used to say these sort of things as satire? Whatever happened to those days?
Taking that Pic.

That and I know the music of the movie:

EDIT: DAMN NINJA! NINJA EVERYWHERE.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Remember what moviebob said, this doesn't mean anything yet! Especially when they don't even have a writer. Hey, anybody happen to know where to send in script drafts? I mean, it's Space Invaders, I might as well give it a shot.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
NLS said:
Hopefully, they will base it on this clasic hit
By god, that has got to be the greatest thing I have seen in my entire life.

The thing about Space Invaders is that the plot is so basic that you can spin almost anything out of it and still have it be more-or-less Space Invaders. Judgement on the quality of the film will need to wait until more information, in my opinion.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Nope, it isn't April 1st, huh. Well, good on them.

I would think Missile Command would give them much more to work with, oh well.