Extra Punctuation: A Hard Weapon Is Good to Find

JUSTINtimeforalaugh

Nov 3, 2010
People don't always appreciate all the little things, but it's worse when the developers don't. You have to really study everything about a game to get the full effect. I wanna be a game developer, but so far it's been daunting. Right now I'm a crew of one man doing the programming, graphics, and sound all together. Not easy....

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Serious Sam II had that problem. None of the guns felt powerful, at all.

I played a game on the iPhone yesterday, it was Battlefield Bad Company, and the guns sounded like absolute crap.

Anyways, random thing now. I remember you wanted a space flight thing game. Have you tried Vega Strike?

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
My main issue with Serious Sam is that minigunning Kleer Skeletons just isn't satisfying. Earth Defence Force at least has huge blood splashes when enemies die, the larger ones cause MASSIVE explosions that make the system choke if they're within 100 meters of the camera.

The best game for damage feedback is Hammerfight IMO, you hit someone with your car-sized hammer there and bits and pieces go flying, bricks break out of the wall as he slams into it and the crowd cheers for you. That game has damage feedback down to a T.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
It's not just guns either. I got Two Worlds 2 for cheap during the steam sale, and one thing that has really annoyed me in it is that nothing I do draws a reaction from the enemies. I zap them with lightning and they don't so much as flinch. A hulking brute took an ice bolt and didn't react in the slightest. The only hint that it was effective was when I hit him with a second and he dropped to his knees. Hugely disappointing.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
You know, that's another problem with DNF. The guns didn't feel good to use, at all. The shotgun was only good because of the thunder cracking boom it would make. The laser weapons didn't look like they did much damage, the pistol felt like a pea shooter, and the rockets acted as if they were made out of paper machete. They didn't feel like rockets. The weapon animations weren't much better, neither was the sound design.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Bad Company 2 has the sounds down, naturally. Especially the Barrett. It's like you can hear the tubular metal.

And for damage feedback, nothing I've seen has beaten the first F.E.A.R.

EDIT: Also, swords in Oblivion feel terrible. There's no force behind those swings and enemies usually have no reaction. The only thing that makes heavier weapon better is the impact sound. Bows on the other hand, one-shotting someone with an arrow feels amazing. It would be better if the physics sucked less.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I do agree with Yahtzee here, There is a feeling of satisfaction that comes from firing the Super Shotgun in Doom...

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
"For many guns an appropriate pump action or shell case ejection is like the sigh that follows the orgasm."

Just wanted to leave this line here for posterity.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I couldn't help but think of the Half-Life 2 pulse rifle when reading this article.

- The plump "pops" when you squeeze the trigger.
- The calm and collective reload animation and sound effect after you've finished spraying death.

... The sexual undertones are unavoidable, I guess.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Oh yes, the Doom shotgun! Using it was more joyful than even the chain-gun.

Thanks for the memories, Yahtzee.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
I couldn't help but think of the Half-Life 2 pulse rifle when reading article.

- The plump "pops" when you squeeze the trigger.
- The calm and collective reload animation and sound effect after you've finished spraying death.

... The sexual undertones are unavoidable, I guess.
Now that you mention it, I found the automatic reloading system of the Pulse Rifle very intriguing back then.

And I'm not even going to its secondary balls of joy...

What? I thought phallic euphemisms were today's topic.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I agree. The little aesthetics of a game really help bring it to life.
For example, I loved how in Bioshock, Jack's hands/fingers moved in relation to what plasmid was in use.

le picklez

Jun 16, 2010
Doom shotguns.... <3

Although the single barrel was pretty lame in doom 3, the double barrel in ROE was awesome.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
south park game for the n64 add interesting effects for weapons especially the cow gun that launched live cows which was even funnier in multiplayer where the enemy character would have his head stuck up the cows ass.