Pasta Strainer Recognized as "Religious Headgear" in Austria

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Pasta Strainer Recognized as "Religious Headgear" in Austria

An Austrian follower of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has won the right to wear a pasta strainer on his head as "religious headgear" in his official driver's license photo.

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster [http://www.venganza.org/] - or "Pastafarianism," as it's also known - first came into being in 2005 as a parody protest of the Kansas State Board of Education's decision to begin teaching intelligent design in public schools as an alternative to evolution. The faux-religion quickly, and entirely unsurprisingly, became a sensation on the internet, with thousands of "followers" touched by the noodly appendage of its deity, the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

One particularly devoted adherent is Niko Alm of Austria, who, after a three-year effort that included a government-mandated psychological examination to determine if he was mentally fit to drive in the first place, has won the right to wear a pasta strainer on his head in his official driver's license photo. He applied to wear the gear after the Austrian government began allowing "confessional headgear" to be worn in official photographs.

Alm, who admits to actually being an atheist, said that with this battle won, his next step is to apply to the authorities to have Pastafarianism recognized as an official religion.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14135523]

Syntax Man

Apr 8, 2008
That is legitimately hilarious. What I do find somewhat odd is that they had him undergo psychological evaluation. By that string of logic all religious people ought to undergo such evaluation before being granted a driver's license.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Syntax Man said:
That is legitimately hilarious. What I do find somewhat odd is that they had him undergo psychological evaluation. By that string of logic all religious people ought to undergo such evaluation before being granted a driver's license.
I have absolutely no problem with drivers haven't to undergo psychological evaluation.

Singling someone out because they're making a point? That I have a problem with.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
So Piracy is not a religion in Sweden, but wearing a pasta strainer on your head in Australia is now a religious symbol?

Guess the spaghetti monster....
*Puts on sunglasses*
Just Pirated Religion
[youtube=Z9rD4Paq0zE

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
This has made my da- no, wait, it has made my WEEK!

Honestly this is truly hilarious :D

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
Is nothing real anymore? It's like everyone wants to be an internet star.

Whatever happened to legitimate philosophical debate? Does this man believe he will accomplish anything?

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
GaltarDude1138 said:
in Australia...
Austria and Australia are not the same. One is a large country that occupies an entire continent, the other is a small country in Europe that is one of the few completely land locked countries in the world.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i would like to add that the guy is very vocal but this atheism and is the head of an organisation that to promote the rights of atheist compared to religious people. Catholic organisations in Austria get a ton of money each year from the government.

Koios

Jul 28, 2010
GaltarDude1138 said:
So Piracy is not a religion in Sweden, but wearing a pasta strainer on your head in Australia is now a religious symbol?
Actually, this was in Austria.

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
cjbos81 said:

Whatever happened to legitimate philosophical debate? Does this man believe he will accomplish anything?
Legitimate philosophical debate *is* taking place, just not here; the fact that this isn't philosophical debate doesn't change that.

Besides, has it occurred to you why the Church of the FSM exists, as a parody religion? It's not just an internet stunt; the whole original point of the Church of the FSM is to challenge the relationship between State and Religion, and to undermine religious zealots by mimicking their form to express absurd content. It has expanded since then, of course, and it's a lot of fun besides the parody, but that original core is still there. There's a reason for the parody that goes beyond lulz.

In this case, beyond just being amusing, the intent is to parody/deconstruct the attempts of other religious groups to bypass universal regulations by appealing to their faith.

OT: Hats off to this man.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
cjbos81 said:

Yes, I'd assume he's fighting for the fact that people should be able to believe in whatever they what.
He got checked for mental soundness! That's messed up!

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
He applied to wear the gear after the Austrian government began allowing "confessional headgear" to be worn in official photographs.
Yep, because those guys wearing confessional headgear were really stomping all over his rights. Way to show those assholes for minding their own business like that. Next battle: I hear some people like sunshine. How can we take those bastards down a peg?

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
GaltarDude1138" post="7.300295.11954014 said:

Guess the spaghetti monster....
*Puts on sunglasses*
Just Pirated Religion
I see what you did there, because of FSM and pirates, very witty sir.

OT: it's a temporary step forward for FSM, hopefully it will step back with the rest of religion, which is the point. Allow all religions and individual beliefs to be equally valid and have equal rights regarding the law, or none of them. The man is clever, not trying to force this immediately, but doing it step by step. I salute his cause. /salute.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
So wait, that means that we might be the first country to acknowledge pastafarians as a religious group? Woah, better get my pasta strainer ready!