MIT Teaches Computer to Read, Conquer the Planet

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
MIT Teaches Computer to Read, Conquer the Planet

Researchers have taken humanity one giant leap closer to robotic Armageddon by teaching a computer how to read, understand and very effectively apply the manual to the strategy classic Civilization [http://www.amazon.com/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-V-Pc/dp/B0038TT8QM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310590983&sr=8-1].

Sure, we all like to joke about the looming machine apocalypse, but when I found out about how researchers at MIT taught a computer to read - and worse, to apply the knowledge it gained from said reading in a simulation about conquering and quite possibly blowing up the entire world - well, let's just say I started to think that maybe it's not all that funny after all.

Regina Barzilay, associate professor of computer science and electrical engineering at MIT, along with her graduate student S.R.K. Branavan and David Silver of University College London, presented a report at this year's meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics about teaching a computer to "read" through a program in which it learned how to play the PC strategy game Civilization. To play it alarmingly well, in fact.

"Games are used as a test bed for artificial-intelligence techniques simply because of their complexity," said Branavan, who was first author on this paper as well as one from 2009 based on the simpler task of PC software installation. "Every action that you take in the game doesn't have a predetermined outcome, because the game or the opponent can randomly react to what you do. So you need a technique that can handle very complex scenarios that react in potentially random ways."

Game manuals, Barzilay added, are ideal for such experiments because they explain how to play but not how to win. "They just give you very general advice and suggestions, and you have to figure out a lot of other things on your own," she said.

But the truly amazing-slash-frightening part of the whole thing is the fact that the computer began with a very limited amount of information - the actions it could take, like right or left-clicking, information displayed on the screen and a measure of success or failure - and no prior knowledge of the what it's supposed to do, or even what language the manual was written in. Because of that blank-slate beginning, its initial play style was nearly random, but it gained knowledge as it progressed by comparing words on the screen with words in the manual and searching surrounding text for associated words, slowly figuring out what they meant and which actions led to positive results.

The augmented Civ-machine ended up winning 79 percent of the games it played, compared to a winning rate of only 46 percent for a computer that didn't have access to the written instructions. Some members of the ACL audience apparently criticized the report, saying the system performed so well because it was put up against relatively weak computer opponents, but according to Brown University Professor of Computer Science Eugene Charniak, that argument misses the point. "Who cares?" he said. "The important point is that this was able to extract useful information from the manual, and that's what we care about."

It's pretty heady stuff, with a more down-to-Earth benefit for gamers being the promise of far more sophisticated computerized opponents in videogames. Instead of the relatively exploitable preset routines we have today, we could in the relatively near future find ourselves squaring off against computerized opponents with the ability to actually learn, adapt and come at us with ever-evolving tactics and strategies. But the long-term prospects may not be so sunny. If that thing ever figures out how to play Alpha Centauri [http://www.amazon.com/Sid-Meiers-Alpha-Centauri-Pc/dp/B00001NTSO/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1310590904&sr=8-15], we are screwed.

Source: Edge [http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/language-from-games-0712.html]

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The fact it always beelines to nukes and immediately bombs all other civilizations out of existence is nothing to worry about.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
When a Goomba gives me the "come at me bro" I'll know I'm in the future.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
What i want to understand is how a computer with no idea how to play civilization can STILL win 46% of the time.

I know chieftan is easy, but what the hell

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
Thomas Guy said:
I would like to see what happens if they put two of these computers against each other.
isnt it obvious? "a curious game the only winning move is not to play"

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
Thomas Guy said:
I would like to see what happens if they put two of these computers against each other.
They'd have to make one Russia and the other United States...
Professor Oak: So what are your observations from this game session

Dr. Johnson: well both of them took over 50% of the world, then Epsilon created the Manhattan Project where then both of them created massive stockpiles of nuclear weapons, then relayed a message to each other saying, 'I wish these were real' and 'Rodger Rodger' before destroying each other and making every tile in the world un-inhabitable.

Professor Oak: Dear God what have we done!? WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE NOBEL PRIZE!

OT: well better get back to building that rocket ship to the closest habitable planet...

Gustavo S. Buschle

Feb 23, 2011
People don't realise that computer won't have desires, to put it in a more approachable way, computer will only want to take over the world if the programmers tell them to, but people are much less expensive and much easier to produce.

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
Going up against AI opponents in strategy games that can actually learn and adapt sounds pretty awesome. Just please don't put that kind of AI on to any kind of defense system.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
In other news, researchers at MIT have recently announced that, "We are not robots. We are feeble humans."

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Now, once someone teaches it how to play Dwarf Fortress, the real fun will begin...
Kudos for the awesome title, btw!

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I, for one, welcome our new computer overlords.

...Or it's something like that.

Annoying Turd

Jul 3, 2009
Anyone who's played Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri will know where this is eventually headed to.

We better research Mind-Machine Interface

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
I for one celebrate the coming of our new robotic overlords. Praise be to Ghandi the Conqueror, the dread mechanical ruler of Earth.

edit:

CkretAznMan said:
I, for one, welcome our new computer overlords.

...Or it's something like that.
Damn! ninja'd