Codemasters: UK Developers Need to Work Together Better

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Codemasters: UK Developers Need to Work Together Better

With government backing nowhere to be seen, UK studios need to rely on each other more.

Ian Johnson, the head of Codemasters' new studio in Guildford, says that British developers need to do a better job of working together in order to better compete with overseas rivals. He thinks that UK studios need to share resources, rather than hoarding them like "golden eggs."

Johnson said that Guildford, which has a high concentration of developers, could set the benchmark for inter-studio co-operation, and that it would help offset advantages that developers in other countries had. "There's obviously enticing tax incentives in places like Canada," he said, "so the way that we can compete with those is to be efficient."

Johnson isn't alone in having high hopes for the "Guildford Cluster," Lionhead's Stuart Whyt also thinks that having so many developers in such a close proximity will be beneficial for the UK videogame industry. Whyt said that as studios expanded and contracted over the course of game development, the pool of skilled talent that the studios could draw on would be very large. This, in turn, would have a very positive effect on the games made in the area.

Of the two, Whyt's scenario of talent moving between studios seems more likely, as convincing Microsoft, which owns Lionhead, that it should share resources with Sony and EA, in the form of Media Molecule and Criterion seems like a difficult task. Of course, it's not impossible that the studios in the area could come to some sort of arrangement, in which case, it's really hard to see a downside.

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/38213/Codemasters-UK-devs-should-work-better-together]

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
As someone who has lived in and lives near Guildford I love that so many developers are based there and I think it should be a source of pride for the town.

HapexIndustries

Mar 8, 2011
Maybe Codemasters should focus on making games that don't suck. I'm looking at their wiki page and like 90% of these games are terrible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Codemasters_games

Same thing with Lionhead, they haven't made a decent game since Black and White 2 and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Even Molyneaux admitted that Fable 3 kinda sucked (he worded it differently, but c'cmon).

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
We know that games have odd development cycles, with different people needing very different workloads at different times, and that getting rid of staff at downtimes is a pretty normal business practice.

So maybe this could work and if it did, it might just be awesome

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
HapexIndustries said:
Maybe Codemasters should focus on making games that don't suck. I'm looking at their wiki page and like 90% of these games are terrible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Codemasters_games

Same thing with Lionhead, they haven't made a decent game since Black and White 2 and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Even Molyneaux admitted that Fable 3 kinda sucked (he worded it differently, but c'cmon).
Also...why do they keep making games about American protagonists when they're British?

ratman995

Nov 30, 2009
It would be nice for the government to invest money into gaming, the government is looking for a new economy and a gaming economy would be excellent for trade

NeonWraith

Nov 25, 2008
ratman995 said:
It would be nice for the government to invest money into gaming, the government is looking for a new economy and a gaming economy would be excellent for trade
Labour were actually planning a tax break/incentive type arrangement for games developers in the UK. Sadly, when the coalition came to power they cancelled the deal.