Hackers Frag QuakeCon Forums

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Hackers Frag QuakeCon Forums

Have you ever used the QuakeCon forums? Now would be a good time to change your login info.

From the official QuakeCon website:

In recent days, a hacker carried out an unlawful intrusion of the old forums.quakecon.org site, compromising usernames and passwords. While we have taken appropriate steps to protect the new forums from attack, we recommend anyone using their old credentials on another site to change their passwords immediately.

The site goes on to promise a new, improved QuakeCon forum system, which should be going live shortly. It advises that prospective attendees, forum goers and anyone who feels their views on id Software's annual gathering of shooter fans needs be heard migrate to the new digs as soon as possible.

As a bit of added backstory, I had originally intended to recap the spate of recent hacker attacks, but you probably don't have time to read a 30,000-word history lesson. Suffice to say, everyone from Fox News [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110328-Sony-Hacked-Again] to this very website has been hit by Internet rogues over the past few months, and as such this latest announcement is less "tragedy" and more "statistic."

It also serves as a stark reminder to web developers: if you don't regularly update your software, you're just inviting some kid with anger issues to cripple your site. The old QuakeCon forums were just that, and given the conference's key demographic (read: young men with equally vast amounts of technical proficiency and free time), it's not entirely shocking to see this happen.

On the other hand, what did QuakeCon ever do to anybody? This is like kicking a puppy because he swiped your Quad Damage.

Despite this attack, QuakeCon 2011 is still scheduled for August 3 through 7 in Austin, Texas.

Source: QuakeCon 2011 [http://www.quakecon.org/2011/07/please-read-hack-attempts-on-the-old-quakecon-forums/]

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
But... but... I thought this stupid hacking shit had stopped by now! Don't they not have better stuff to do than this?

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Ummm, why does this sounds more like an advertisement.... "We are cool enough to hack!".

I don't know? What possible use would that old info be? I call shenanigans.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
"Yay, we could hack an old website with old hardware!."

Right... what a bunch of pricks.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Some tv channel must of aired the matrix trilogy again and they obviously thought "dur hur, haxing is cool, there is no spoon lololz".

Just quit this shit already

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
id I say handled this very well. Just tell your customers/users that there has been attack and tell clearly what their do about it.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I always forget about QuakeCon. I think I last went in 1998. Maybe I'll check it out again this year.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
SupahGamuh said:

More like "Hey, this website is still open to old tricks. id Software, it's time to learn a lesson or two the hard way."
It all depends on how you see it.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
NLS said:
SupahGamuh said:

More like "Hey, this website is still open to old tricks. id Software, it's time to learn a lesson or two the hard way."
Yes exactly, so for all the people who've had their data and passwords compromised it's "Hey, this website is still open to old tricks. Quake fans, it's time to learn ???? the hard way"

Seriously, if hackers were nice people they'd just drop ID an email with an explicit description of the flaw

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Looks like the year 2011 will be remembered as the year when some people hacked quite a lot of thingies, or whatnot.
Anyways, not cool, hacker(s), not cool at all.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
BrotherRool said:
NLS said:
SupahGamuh said:

Yes exactly, so for all the people who've had their data and passwords compromised it's "Hey, this website is still open to old tricks. Quake fans, it's time to learn ???? the hard way"

Seriously, if hackers were nice people they'd just drop ID an email with an explicit description of the flaw
But it wouldn't be a problem at all right now if they hadn't gone and hacked them.

What's the point of hacking websites to point out their security flaws when you're the only one who seems to be doing it?

Ugh. Nevermind. I'm trying to apply logic to the internet again.

I'm going to go smack myself with a fish to try to knock some sense out of me.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Owlslayer said:
Looks like the year 2011 will be remembered as the year when some people hacked quite a lot of thingies, or whatnot.
Anyways, not cool, hacker(s), not cool at all.
Just like the 90's. Well, ya win some ya lose...often.

OT: This is funny, because I was just about to make a thread 'Isn't it kind of strange that the hackings stopped after LulzSec disbanded?'

Well, guess I won't be doing that after all!

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I don't care if the Pope swipes the quad damage, I'm kicking them. (When it wears off at least, I may be heartless but I'm not stupid.)