WoW Cross-Server Real ID Play Goes Live for Testing

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
WoW Cross-Server Real ID Play Goes Live for Testing

If you have a real-life WoW buddy who plays on another server, you can now venture into dungeons and slay bad dudes together.

We first learned about Blizzard's plans to add cross-realm dungeoneering parties to World of Warcraft back in May [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110165-Premium-Cross-Realm-Party-System-Coming-to-World-of-Warcarft]: It was a system that would allow players to invite their Real-ID friends to a party and tackle dungeons together, no matter what server (or "realm") they played on.

According to the WoW Battle.net blog [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3119305#blog], the feature has gone live - sort of. It's available for live testing, which essentially means that everyone can use it right now but should be aware that it might not work as it's supposed to until Blizzard works out the kinks.

The WoW team posted a helpful FAQ with the announcement, which you can read below:

[blockquote]Real ID Party Feature - Test Phase FAQ

Q: What is the Real ID Party feature?
A: Players can now invite Real ID friends of the same faction to a 5-player normal or Heroic dungeon group, regardless of what realm their friends are on. This system is designed to make it easier for real-life friends to play together.

Q: How do I invite Real ID friends to a Real ID party?
A: Inviting a Real ID friend to a Real ID Party is simple. Just open up your Friends list to see which Real ID friends are online. Click on the "Plus" button to send an invitation to a Real ID friend to join your group. You can continue to add Real ID friends to your party until the group is complete. If you cannot complete the group with Real ID friends, you are free to join the Dungeon Finder to fill in the missing roles.

Q: Does a player need to have Real ID enabled to accept a Real ID group invite?
A: Yes, a player must have Real ID enabled, and both players must be Real ID friends to accept or initiate Real ID party invitations.

Q: Can a party leader invite a mix of Real ID friends, character-level friends, guildmates, or random players to the same party?
A: A party leader can invite any combination of Real ID friends from any realm, guildmates from the same realm, or other characters from the same realm to the same party. If the party leader isn't able to fill up the entire party, the Dungeon Finder can fill in the missing roles.

Q: Can I invite someone who is not a Real ID friend?
A: You can only invite members to a party if they are on your Real ID friends list or if they are on the same realm as you are.

Q: Can I invite a friend of a Real ID friend?
A: No, you can only invite your own Real ID friends the party.

Q: How long will the testing period last?
A: We haven't yet determined how long the testing period will last. We'll keep you updated on the status and inform you when the test period is going to end in the future.

Q: Will aspects of the Real ID Party system be premium-based?
A: We'll have information on this toward the end of the testing period.[/blockquote]

Of particular note is that last question - Blizzard initially said that the service would cost a premium fee (for the inviter, anyway; invitees ride free). Predictably, this caused a rather large storm in the WoW playerbase, so the studio seems to be taking a more reserved approach this time around. It wouldn't be the first time Blizzard has retreated from controversial Real ID plans [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101979-Blizzard-Nixes-Plans-to-Require-Real-Names], either.

While I'm wary of any possible "premium" fees, I think the system in question is a great idea that's been a long time in coming. I have plenty of Real ID friends on other servers that I'd love to play with, but I just don't have the time to roll up an alt character on their realms and get them geared - with this, that hassle is out of the picture.

Of course, I still can't play with them if they're filthy Horde. But hey, it serves those barbarians right.

(Battle.net blog [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3119305#blog])

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Already did this with a friend from work, seems to work ok. It's nice to have the option of getting a friend cross realm for instances without going as far as to server transfer.
John Funk said:
Of course, I still can't play with them if they're filthy Horde. But hey, it serves those barbarians right.
At least I'm not a filthy human, midget, pretentious tree hugger, flea bag or squid face :O

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
So, when do we get to see dozens of people with the same name go running around in dungeons together?
Oooh, this should produce some deeply amusing youtube videos.

Iznat

Feb 13, 2010
FOR THE ALLIANCE

OT: About damn time. however, does anyone know if I have a Real ID friend on US servers and I'm on EU servers, does it still work? >_>

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Makes sense, although I expect that it'll cut down on their realm transfer money which is probably why they first went with the premium idea.

On an aside, For The Horde.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
Unfortunate that this function is coming out so late. I always wanted to play with my cousins but they didn't want to spend $30 to transfer and I didn't want to abandon my guild. This would have easily solved the problem and I probably would still be playing today. Maybe if they make WoW free to play someday I will go back but not a moment sooner.

For the ponies!

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Sounds good, despite coming from biased Alliance media.

John Funk said:
This means war, Alliance scum.

Lok'tar Ogar!

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Now if they would make the races more individual, stop being pussies, make the game difficult again, stop catering to the crying masses, and stop fucking the game i MIGHT return.
Also add some damn diversity and individuality! Feels like I'm playing World of Copy/Paste!

TheHitcher

Sep 9, 2009
For the Horde. I'm a human IRL, why on earth would I want to be one in game?

OT: Really awesome feature and I'm actually tempted to start playing again.. unless they decide they're going to charge for it.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
...I'm still waiting on the "Is it free?" aspect of it. I wonder if this is also a marketing test to see how many people use it (And how many people who use it bought "the horse" and other items)

Echo Delta

May 17, 2011
This feature looks awesome, here's hoping its free! As far as gear/individuality goes, I agree that it should be added and it won't take a lot of skill on the developer end. That said, if this news shows anything its that they are willing to cater to the players so... keep your fingers crossed?

John Funk said:
So, the truth about the news team finally comes out huh? Alliance scum, be prepared to serve the banshee queen in undeath!

The Plunk said:
It's funny because since Wrath of the Lich King, the Humans are blatantly more evil and honourless than most of the Horde races.
You mean they haven't always been?

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Serris said:
of course paying for an extra service that doesn't give an increase in power, just utility would create a shitstorm with the playerbase. wow-players are some of the most self-entitled players i've seen, to the point where i just avoided other players as much as possible (never visiting forums, never accepting friend invites, never stay on chat-channels).
Oh c'mon. It's not about "power" or "advantage". It's about the fact that you already pay 15$ / month to play this game. Just as paying for server transfers, name change, race change etc. is wrong with fully subscription paid games so is such service.

Nothing that is in a subscription model MMO should be exclusive to form of micro transactions. Want to sell ponies and services for cash - go F2P. Easy as that.

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
Seeing as the game stops being interesting at all once you fully leveled your character, it's going to take a full free-to-play model if I'm ever going to return to that game. And this, this isn't helping the matter either.