LA Noire Dev Denies Poor Working Condition Accusations

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
LA Noire Dev Denies Poor Working Condition Accusations

Team Bondi senior staff admit that hours were sometimes long, but says they were never as long as the anonymous whistleblowers made out.

Staff at Team Bondi have denied claims that the heads of the studios forced staff to work incredibly long hours for next to no compensation for extended periods during LA Noire's development. According to one staff member, the reports of poor conditions were nothing more than former employees trying to ruin the studio by destroying its reputation.

Dave Heironymus, the lead gameplay programmer for LA Noire, wrote in a letter to the IDGA [http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DaveHeironymus/20110712/7970/Team_Bondi_My_Side_Of_The_Story.php] that the many of the claims made against Team Bondi were made up. He admitted that development hadn't run entirely smoothly, and that people had left the studio as the hours grew longer and the pressure mounted.

He also admitted that the studio had required employees to work weekends, but said it had implemented a system to "generously" reward people for their time. He also said that in the last sixth months of LA Noire's development, the studio put a system in place to similar reward people for staying late on weeknights, which resulted in most of the staff ending up with an extra four weeks leave after the game shipped.

He categorically denied that people were routinely asked to work 100-hour weeks. He said that he had never asked any member of staff to do something that he wouldn't so himself. He said that the longest typical week he ever worked was around 65-hours and that while he couldn't say that no one ever worked 100 hours in a week, he said it was absolutely not encouraged.

In another letter to the IDGA [http://gamasutra.com/blogs/CharlesLefebvre/20110714/7988/Another_side_of_the_story.php ], senior gameplay programmer Charles Lefebvre again admitted that some weekend work had been required, but that Team Bondi had been very flexible. He said that all he had to do if he couldn't make a particular weekend was to notify his team leader and that was that. He said that he had never heard of people being denied pay owed to them, even if they'd left the company.

What's interesting here, is that someone in this story isn't being entirely truthful, or at the very least is glossing over certain facts, either to make them look better or make someone else look worse. There are a few things that both accounts agree on - people were working seven day weeks, for example, and people did leave the company when project milestones were missed - but where they differ is in how the studio, both the staff and the management, reacted to these challenges. Without having worked at Team Bondi it's impossible to say which accounts are true - if any of them are completely true, of course - but hopefully the IDGA investigation will get to the bottom of things.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DaveHeironymus/20110712/7970/Team_Bondi_My_Side_Of_The_Story.php]

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I for one believe the guy in management who no doubt received a pat on the back for this.

In all seriousness, I've never worked at a place before that didn't try to sleazily squeeze extra work hours out of employees, that didn't guilt trip, pressure and subtly imply repercussions if they didn't do x for y amount of hours more. And from my own personal experience I've always known people to make gutless employees who never speak out until they are pushed dramatically too far.

So I'm very doubtful it's as clear cut as it's being made out to be here, to put it lightly.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well that's a shocker, because the rest of the worlds population always admits all their cockups... no wait, no they don't.

Ofcourse they wont and can't say they run a shitty business, you haveto say all is well and Bobby Kotick is your bestest friend.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Aaand now it's one person's word against another's, so everybody can just feel free to weigh in on the side that they're predisposed to take. Yawn.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
This just in - An accused employer denies wrong doing!!!

"In fact none of the accusers ever even worked here!" says Bossy McEveryboss, District Manager of Everywork's North American offices, "They are all sub-contractors of the freelancers who do work with us. Further, I couldn't have abused them as they are saying. As anyone who works with me knows, I rarely come into the office unless it is to borrow a bit of money from the petty cash.

These accusations are ludicrous. Please direct any further attention to our highly-paid lawyers, they're the ones who came up with my previous statement, so you might as well.".

McEveryboss went on to say that all other employees were, in fact, freelancers, and that is why they haven't payed taxes to the government.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Option 1) - "Yeah sure we broke labour laws and exploited our workers."
Option 2) - "No we didn't."

Is it really that surprising?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Ah... It's like Origin back in the days when nobody gave this a second thought.

They had a 100 club, for people that had worked more than 100 hours in a week. By the end of certain projects, 95% of all their staff were in it...

At the end of the day, 100 hour weeks are not something anyone can cope with for very long.

If this is still a common practice in the industry, it's no wonder so many devs leave due to burnout.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Both could be true, the generous reward packages and the atmosphere of people leaving, as well as the 7 day weeks and the fact that some people were working 100 hour weeks could have made the rest feel pressured into working that long themselves, even if it wasn't being encouraged and actually the people who felt pressured didn't manage to do it.

Still a 100 hours week is working 7am till 9pm every day in the week. thats harsh

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The article is insubstantial.
We need hard evidence (either side) to really care.

Right now, it's just "You holler-I holler back" bullshit.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
I don't see where the big shocker is. Lots of studios do overtime, especially if you have a QA department. It's usually optional (depending on lead) but it pays double.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Team Bondi is looking to be everything wrong with game development these days. Even if these allegations aren't true, which I highly doubt they are untrue, the fact that they admit to work hours getting longer and people leaving the company due to work hours. People don't just leave a company, especially in this kind of economy.

It's the split between the higher fat-cats and the lowly peons who actually do shit.

This kind of shit has to stop. Whether or not Team Bondi did this shit doesn't matter, what these allegations represent is the real situation. It's like how the film industry was during the 60s/70s, long work hours, underpaid employees, terrible working conditions. If we don't stop now, it's going to make the inevitable crash this industry will face that much more bad.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Seventh Actuality said:
Aaand now it's one person's word against another's, so everybody can just feel free to weigh in on the side that they're predisposed to take. Yawn.
except in this case it's one against many, and the whistle blowers provided several company emails to back up their statements.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
So let´s recap.
Working in this studio, you:

1) had to clear it with your superior if you wanted a weekend off (Which must have been a really fucking pleasant experience, that you totally want to have regularly)

2) had to work under senior staff that had no idea whether or not anyone worked 100 hours a week or not (For those of you playing at home: if you ever work at a job where 100 hour-weeks are not enough of an anomaly to IMMEDIATLY raise the alarm of the senior staff, gtfo)

3) got generously rewarded for working about one-and-a-half to twice your normal hours for 6-month straight with, what a great compensation, 4 weeks of leave.
If I ever had to do this, I would prefer a Maserati.

And that is what can be deduced by reading the letter of the guy DEFENDING their buisness practice.

I know that it´s great to do something you love and if you do, you tend to be willing to ignore some shit, but for fucks sake people....

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
I don't dig this shite. The guy is basically admitting to massive crap behavior but only in half.

Fuck ye, Team Bondi. I'm not buying any of your games.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
I believe the company over the individual in this case. I work in the industry and there are a lot of primadonnas who get let go or leave a company because they don't feel like they are being treated like the rockstars they think they are. Or maybe they just are new and didn't realize that you actually have to put in overtime in this industry.

I have worked the long hours, did the weekends, and never had issue with a company not compensating me for it. Ten years ago it might have been the case, but our industry has too much spotlight to play these games anymore. Maybe if this was some minor indy company, but this is a major company with a large publisher behind it.

Granted, maybe the investigation will prove the individual right and the company to be a lying dirtbag of a place, but until I see that I won't believe it.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
PxDn Ninja said:
I believe the company over the individual in this case. I work in the industry and there are a lot of primadonnas who get let go or leave a company because they don't feel like they are being treated like the rockstars they think they are. Or maybe they just are new and didn't realize that you actually have to put in overtime in this industry.

I have worked the long hours, did the weekends, and never had issue with a company not compensating me for it. Ten years ago it might have been the case, but our industry has too much spotlight to play these games anymore. Maybe if this was some minor indy company, but this is a major company with a large publisher behind it.

Granted, maybe the investigation will prove the individual right and the company to be a lying dirtbag of a place, but until I see that I won't believe it.
You also have to factor in: ROCKSTAR is one of the whistle blowers in this case, and that it was what went on in Team Bondi that made them decide not to make them Rockstar Sydney.

Rockstar has nothing to gain from exposing these foul business practices whatsoever. So yeah, I gotta go with the individuals over the company at this point.