Gearhead Geek Builds Turbine-Powered Batmobile

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Gearhead Geek Builds Turbine-Powered Batmobile

Unless your name is Bruce Wayne, Casey Putsch has a much cooler car than you do.

I am referring of course, to the Batmobile replica now parked in Putsch's driveway. From the car's official description [http://www.putschracing.com/?p=367]:

The car is a replica of the vehicle from the classic 1989 Batman movie that was directed by Tim Burton starring Michael Keaton as Batman. It is registered and insured for the street and features a military spec Boeing turbine engine that was used in a drone helicopter by the Navy to drop torpedoes on enemy submarines. Putsch taught himself about turbine engines and successfully rebuilt this surplus engine by himself. The engine powers the rear wheels via a semi automatic transmission and is driven like any other conventional production car. The car's engineering and construction is fully racing derived and can be considered the most extreme exotic car on the planet.

If you don't quite understand why that "turbine engine" feature is such a big deal, I will direct your attention to the footage of Putsch driving the thing embedded above.

Hear that sound when he starts the engine? That ascending-pitch whine of the turbine spinning up? The only way that noise could be more Batmobile-appropriate is if it were overdubbed with a clip of Frank Miller clubbing Jason Todd to death with a picture of Christian Bale.

Despite my enthusiasm for the engine, the interior of Putsch's Batmobile is pretty impressive as well. The obvious point of interest would be all those switches and dials -- Batman loves switches and dials -- but slightly less obvious is Putsch's attempt to mimic the Batmobile's on-board computer system via a dashboard-embedded iPad. What it lacks in psychological profiles of Killer Moth, it more than makes up for in wireless iTunes syncing capabilities.

It should be noted that this Batmobile isn't exactly an amateur, DIY project cobbled together in some dude's backyard. Casey Putsch is the owner of Putsch Racing [http://www.putschracing.com/], a company that specializes in vehicle restorations of the "incredibly gorgeous" variety. Putsch does work that most of us will never be able to afford, and that gig apparently allows him live out the dreams of every male born in America since 1935.

Source: Autoblog [http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/13/man-creates-worlds-only-turbine-powered-batmobile-w-video/]

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Quite awesome, but I just hope that he made it sound-proof, otherwise that could get annoying real quick when you're driving it.

I also have to wonder what the top speed is.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
You will hear him coming, that is a promise.

Stil, it's quite an impressive feat of engineering but I'm with dirty hipsters on the soundproofing. For the sake of his hearing, Might be what the headphones are for. Unless he's using them to listen in on the police band.

Jun 23, 2008
Yeah, I too, want to know its driving stats. How fast?

It's mpg pro'lly sucks, though.

238U.[footnote]In the event that Escapist requires me to view a commercial before getting a code, I will simply not post. Depending on the frequency, this may temper or cease my future participation in the Escapist community. Apologies in advance, if this policy prevents me from replying to you when it is proper to do so.[/footnote]

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
Isn't DC going to come down on him like a ton of bricks? Seems to me the last person who did this got into hot water, didn't they?

dropZero

Feb 10, 2011
RonHiler said:
Isn't DC going to come down on him like a ton of bricks? Seems to me the last person who did this got into hot water, didn't they?
As long as he's not selling it and isn't using it for commercial gain, is there really anything they can do?

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
RonHiler said:
As long as he doesn't sell it I think he should be fine.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Holy hell, what a waste of money. I bet that thing wastes fuel like nobody's business!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Rather cool, but doesn't beat my favorite Batmobile.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/06/500x_batgolf.jpg

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Jesus. Top speed? Acceleration? Handling?

I love it, but pretty much every important question went unanswered...

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
yea that is all sort of pwn but how fast? how much fuel does it burn? is the turbine for show or go?

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
Uriel-238 said:
Yeah, I too, want to know its driving stats. How fast?

It's mpg pro'lly sucks, though.
that is the glory of a Turbine engine. MPG is horrible... but when you consider that anything higher then 40 proof can be considered fuel for it... that isn't too horrible of an exchange.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
That is the sexiest vehicle I have ever seen in my entire life.

If I owned one, I swear to god, I would scream "TURBINES TO POWER" every time I turned the ignition.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
I bet that thing will go like a bat outta hell, turbine engines are pretty powerful. There's a reason we use them in the Abrams MBT.

This is freaking awesome. I bet he has to wear earplugs, though. That's a loud beast.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Nifty, but Bats' has a soundproof interior. That way he can keep up communications with Alfred, Robin, the Justice League, etc. while driving.