BioWare Unveils New Muscle-Bound Mass Effect 3 Character

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare Unveils New Muscle-Bound Mass Effect 3 Character

The newest addition to the Normandy crew knows how to fight, but that's about it.

To celebrate reaching 10,000 followers on Twitter, BioWare's Casey Hudson shared a picture of a new character that will be joining Shepard's crew in Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Xbox-360/dp/B004FYEZMQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310990980&sr=8-2 ], James Vega.

Vega is apparently intended to represent someone new to the story. While he is a seasoned soldier, he lacks the knowledge of galactic politics and the criminal underworld that Shepard and the rest of the crew of the Normandy possess. Vega was originally called James Sanders, but obviously BioWare has since changed that.

Fan reaction to the image has been rather mixed, with some saying that Vega would look more at home on the Jersey Shore than fighting the Reapers in space. At least one suggested that he was a subtle dig at games like Gears of War and their fans. Others are taking a more cautious tack, saying that judging the character based on a single picture is a mistake and that people should wait until they know more about him before they dismiss him outright.

On Twitter, Hudson said that he enjoyed seeing people's first impressions of Vega. He said that BioWare had fun with the ensemble cast in its games, adding that not every character was going to be a hit with every player.

Personally, I fall into the "wait and see" camp. Sure, Vega looks like a meathead, but by the sound of things, that's kind of the point - or at least part of it. He's supposed to have a much more simple understanding of the situation, and he's supposed to stand out from the rest of the Normandy crew because of it.

It will also be interesting to see if he's going to be one of the homosexual love interests in Mass Effect 3, or if that role belong to a different character, or indeed, characters.

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5821992/a-new-look-at-mass-effect-3s-new-character-james-vega]

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
I'm hoping they're going more for a cool guy persona instead of a Hoo-Rah persona. Because if the latter is the case, there really is no hope for Mass Effect 3.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
As a way to grow character, the developers introduced a feature called "Roid Rage". The more roids he takes, the less stable he becomes.

Timberwolf0924

Sep 16, 2009
"It will also be interesting to see if he's going to be one of the homosexual love interests in Mass Effect 3"

Not bashin on gays, but I really hope this isn't the case.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
RoseArch said:
I'm hoping they're going more for a cool guy persona instead of a Hoo-Rah persona. Because if the latter is the case, there really is no hope for Mass Effect 3.
Am I reading this right: So if there's a character you don't like the whole game is ruined?

Anyway,
judging the character based on a single picture is a mistake and that people should wait until they know more about him before they dismiss him outright.
I'm taking this stance. This just goes to show how gaming community, especially RPG ones, are way too eager to jump the gun.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
He looks like he walked into a room and forgot what he went in there for.

I can't really judge the character by one pic but I do really hate his shirt.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
The first thing I pictured in my head when I saw this picture, was him giving a solid metal Geth a headbutt. Instantly disabling it, and giving him a confused look why it hurt so much.

I think he might give a fresh contrast to the crew. Like a orc at a Blood elf meeting.

Just remember, unlike-able characters can still be good characters from a narrative point a view.
Just because people don't like him, doesn't mean he can't be well written or have a solid personality. Even if it's slightly orange and hangs out at the beach waaaay too much.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
My initial reactions is: I don't like it, looks like a guy waaaay too dumb to be useful to me.

But I don't know enough about him. It wouldn't surprise me if they used him as a contrast to the now-seasoned Shepard towards the end; have him be your window into your actions from the view of someone that isn't biased by the things you've seen and done. He can work as a conduit for storytelling...but I must say that as a character I'm leaning more towards caution than excitement at this point.

pulse2

May 10, 2008
Apprently this is the real life version of him: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK313&q=eastenders+christian&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=999&bih=730

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Looks like this guy suffered a few too many slabs of concrete to the face.

The Krogan chicks must love 'm.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Hm.

Sorry Bioware. He could be the most awesome character in the history of storytelling, but in my playthrough he's going to spend the whole game making coffee aboard the Normandy.

I can only take two people with me, and we already know that Liara, Garrus and Tali are coming back, plus whoever else makes a return. With all the beloved old faces to choose from there just isn't room for... whoever that guy is.

Still lookin' forward to the game!

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Oh no. They added a meathead, jock character that doesn't fulfill my nerd wish fantasies for the game. How awful. Clearly introducing a wide variety of personalities and character archetypes is something that Bioware obviously shouldn't be doing.

JacobyPAX

Jun 14, 2010
Why do we need another human crew member? I want to see a Hanar floating around the Normandy.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Seeing as how I haven't played ME1 or 2 yet, I can't really comment...

[sub][sub]Don't hate me... I missed the sale on Steam 'cause I was on a plane. I was majorly bummed when I found out. *Sadface*[/sub][/sub]

Captainguy42

Is trapped in a title factory.
May 20, 2009
Uh.... I've got a feeling I'm not going to show this guy the outside of the Normandy much. I'm incredibly wary by what they mean by "Perspective of the new player", granted that probably means he's just going to be asking questions about everything that was established in the first two games. But seriously I'm hearing nothing about him that will convince me to give up a space in my Garrus, Tali, Shepard power trio.

And I probably never will, Why? Because he's a human, and when your comparing a in Mass Effect human to Space Batman and the Space Gypsy, they just don't measure up.