Final Fantasy XIII-2 Coming To North America In January

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Final Fantasy XIII-2 Coming To North America In January

It turns out that American gamers won't be waiting much longer than their Japanese counterparts for Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Square Enix has been promising gamers that Final Fantasy XIII-2 will "exceed" its predecessor in "every way." Now, it turns out that fans of the series here in North America won't have to wait for too long to find out if this will be true: The publisher has revealed that the game will arrive here in the West this coming January.

This is an incredibly quick follow-up to the Japanese release. Final Fantasy XIII-2 will see a December launch in Japan. Both markets will see a simultaneous release for both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3.

Square Enix will also have the game on display at Comic-Con in San Diego. In fact, there will be a playable demo at the company's booth. In the meantime (or if you can't get out to Comic-Con), feel free to read <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110918-E3-Final-Fantasy-XIII-2>The Escapist's E3 coverage of the game to get an idea of what it'll be like.

Source: Andriasang

zabour

Apr 21, 2011
Nice work, that's impressive. Square Enix has certainly improved in Westernization. I hope that we in europe will it at the same time as NA.

Now that this is done, they should give us an update on versus XIII, it's been a while since we've heard anything about that game.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Now that would be a nice little birthday present for me!

That is actually rather fast for SE, how the hell is that possible?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
inb4 FFXIII sucks

Kinda wish there was a little bonus for those with a complete FFXIII save on the system.

*crosses fingers*

Probably won't be done with Skyrim in time for it, though. Just two months?

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Sweet - unlike most I am grateful for every Final Fantasy that comes out, they never fail to disappoint me. Including FFX-2; it had its excellent parts as well as its not so excellent.

I suspect the quick turnaround is largely due to cut content from XIII being used - they talked non stop about how so many areas were removed and plans for them to see daylight one day were being discussed. This is obviously that.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Kinda wish there was a little bonus for those with a complete FFXIII save on the system.

*crosses fingers*

Probably won't be done with Skyrim in time for it, though. Just two months?
Isn't that just positive? The longer you wait, the cheaper it'll get (unless you want a special edition or something).

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
I kind of wish that the game opened by completely betraying Lightning's character to put her in sexy outfits for fanboys to gush over while she sings J-pop.
I kind of wish the game would open with an apology from the director of FF13, then the camera pans to him putting in his letter of resignation. At that point it would cut to a cutscene of the entire cast of FF13 except the black guy, killing themselves. Then a GOOD game would start.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Thomas Guy said:
EverythingIncredible said:
I kind of wish that the game opened by completely betraying Lightning's character to put her in sexy outfits for fanboys to gush over while she sings J-pop.
I kind of wish the game would open with an apology from the director of FF13, then the camera pans to him putting in his letter of resignation. At that point it would cut to a cutscene of the entire cast of FF13 except the black guy, killing themselves. Then a GOOD game would start.
Wait.. What about Fang..? You're doing it wrong. Fang is the Auron of FFXIII, it should have been HER game, not Lightning's. Hell, it should have been what I also think FFVIII should have been.
FFVIII: Forget the main characters, just a full game of Laguna, Kiros & Ward going on wacky adventures.
FFXIII: Same deal, but with Sazh & Fang. Also the two most coolest Eidolons, Brynhildr & Bahamut. (GIANT. TRANSFORMING. DRAGON. SHOOTS. LASER. BEAMS. OF. FIRE.)

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Man...I'm going to be so broke this season. So many games coming out so close together. And here's one more that I'll need to pick up. Good-bye food, I'll miss you.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
zabour said:
Nice work, that's impressive. Square Enix has certainly improved in Westernization. I hope that we in europe will it at the same time as NA.

Now that this is done, they should give us an update on versus XIII, it's been a while since we've heard anything about that game.
arcade109 said:
How about some more news on versus XIII? Remember that one? Still waiting....
We just got news on that in latest Famitsu.

http://www.1up.com/news/final-fantasy-xiii-chugging

Why the hell does the escapist never report on it? I dunno they did an ENTIRE coverage of Squares thing back in January and didn't report anything from that either despite ya know, gameplay footage.

The point of that link though? Cutscenes.

Although Versus XIII (which Nomura said the team is "preparing to enter full production on" at the moment) won't see the light of day anytime soon, Nomura did reveal a few choice tidbits about the game's storytelling structure. "In FF Versus XIII, we've gotten rid of [in-game] cutscenes that the player can't control," he stated. "There will either be pre-rendered movies or realtime event scenes that the player can control. These scenes are part of a new gameplay feature which, as far as I know, hasn't been done anywhere else. It's something that allows for very natural changes in the game experience, a form of expression you don't really see in games. It's not something you can explain quickly since the experience can change with each situation, but you could say it leads to the sort of storytelling you see more in FPSes than in console RPGs."

What inspired this switch away from the non-interactive cutscenes that are part and parcel of JRPGs? Perhaps the fact that not even Nomura has the patience to sit through many of them. "I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I wind up skipping most cutscenes I run into because I want to get back into the game," he told Famitsu. "I don't think I'm the only gamer like that, and so I wanted storytelling that takes pains not to stop the gameplay. That way, gamers like that can still get into the event scenes in natural fashion. It's also a development time-saver. In the past, we'd make separate high-poly models for the cutscenes, but technology is now to the point where the only difference between the 'high-poly' and 'low-poly' models in FF Versus XIII is in the hair."

In Summary, the game wont have uncontrollable cutscenes (unless they are prerendered) because Nomura finds long cutscenes tedious and boring

zabour

Apr 21, 2011
Thanks a lot SpaceMedarotterX. He did say a couple of interesting things but I hope that they don't discard prerendered, just decrease the amount.