Permanent Entrepreneurs

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Permanent Entrepreneurs

Many game developers are coming to realize that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

Read Full Article

Craazhy

Tic-Tock and Crash
Aug 22, 2009
I hope that they succeed in not falling for the temptation of becoming a system based on efficient growth rather than a temple of innovation.

And the only way we can help is by buying the great games they make.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
I kinda knew it already, but the idea that 20 million US dollars is hopelessly miniscule for a top-tier game makes me weep.

I can't even conceive of that much money and I see in print that the industry I love can't operate with sums that small. That amount of money is like how Dave Barry once described an ant on the bumper of a semi truck: The ant is distinctly aware that something really huge is there, but cannot even dimly comprehend what it is.

20 million is like that to me. And it's a "recipe for failure"? Ouch.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
The AAA market is now fundamentally bloated. Which is why I always look forward to modders and smaller development companies making their own engine or using cheap proprietary ones like Unity and UDK.

Mind you, there are still sparks of innovation in the AAA industry from time to time - Portal, Mirror's Edge, Alpha Protocol, etc.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Sabrestar said:
20 million is like that to me. And it's a "recipe for failure"? Ouch.
Of course it's a failure. Where's the additional $100 million for marketing?

Yes, I know... :(

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I wish I cared enough about mobile games to support these kinds of developers. I suppose there's always Runic and a few others on the PC.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Fappy said:
I wish I cared enough about mobile games to support these kinds of developers.
I buy what PC indie games I can, that's about my extent of supporting the devs.

I realized some time ago that I was becoming a semi-Luddite, and decided to embrace it. I pay cash for most things. I have a cell phone, but I only use it to call people. I only upgrade my web browser for security reasons, never for features (because each iteration becomes less usable IMHO). I upgraded to XP not too long before Vista came out and I still have a PC that runs 98 fine, and I use at least once a week.

*Waves cane at young'uns.*

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Formica Archonis said:
Fappy said:
I wish I cared enough about mobile games to support these kinds of developers.
I buy what PC indie games I can, that's about my extent of supporting the devs.

I realized some time ago that I was becoming a semi-Luddite, and decided to embrace it. I pay cash for most things. I have a cell phone, but I only use it to call people. I only upgrade my web browser for security reasons, never for features (because each iteration becomes less usable IMHO). I upgraded to XP not too long before Vista came out and I still have a PC that runs 98 fine, and I use at least once a week.

*Waves cane at young'uns.*
My old computer that runs XP only has 24gigs of harddrive space... how can you survive on 98'? XP

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Fappy said:
My old computer that runs XP only has 24gigs of harddrive space... how can you survive on 98'? XP
For what I need my P4 for, it works.:) It actually dual-boots XP but I never use it. My main box is the one that XP gets a workout on. And I have no intention of going to 7 until my next PC, and that probably won't be for another few years. By which time Windows 8 will probably be out.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Formica Archonis said:
Fappy said:
For what I need my P4 for, it works.:) It actually dual-boots XP but I never use it. My main box is the one that XP gets a workout on. And I have no intention of going to 7 until my next PC, and that probably won't be for another few years. By which time Windows 8 will probably be out.
Smart move. The longer you can stay with XP the better. 7 may be a whole lot better than Vista, but XP is good enough to keep around.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Like any art, games can be made for mass appeal, like the current hollwood-esque system we have in place (RIP Golden age of gaming), or they can be made as art, or games that are fun and say something at the same time, whatever the creator wants.

Though yea, if you want to actually make money, you need the mass appeal angle.

Sgt_Jakeman214

Jul 19, 2010
Wow, That is just sad amounts of money to be throwing around.

I get around wasting my money on the big scary publishers by being 3-4 years behind the release schedule and of course buying little indie games. Seriously, go retro guys, get your games cheaper and give it to small retailers. I live in Australia and whenever I can, I sop at gametraders. Each store is a locally owned franchise, so I'm supporting the community. The giant publishers and developers get my money when they release awesome games (I'm looking at you Mass Effect!), otherwise my money goes to the hardworking local employees.

Shit...Does this make me indie?