Anonymous Launches Its Very Own Social Network

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Anonymous Launches Its Very Own Social Network

Hacktivist internet collective Anonymous, tired of being shunned by the mainstream, has launched its very own social network.

It's a little weird, a little silly and a little hard to believe, but Anonymous, the online group famous for its hacking exploits and Guy Fawkes masks, is apparently launching its very own social network called "Anon-Plus." The group was inspired to the effort after some of its members were blocked from Google+ and even Gmail.

"This is the sad fact of what happens across the internet when you walk to a different beat of the drum. We've all heard the stories of activists being banned from FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube, and governments blocking their people from these sites as well through organized black-outs," an Anonymous rep said in a memo sent out to members of the group. "That day has came to an end. Not only did a few people organize an Operation against Google+, but we have started to build our own Social Network."

Anon-Plus is still very much a work in progress, currently offering nothing more than a link to a developers forum and a message promising big things for the future. "Welcome to the Revolution - a new social network where there is no fear... of censorship... of blackout... nor of holding back," it says. "There will be no more oppression. There will be no more tyranny. We are the people and we are Anonymous. We have arrived."

In reality it sounds like Anon-Plus is in the process of arriving, as the message suggests that the network will be developed over "the coming weeks, months and years." It's hard to say what kind of services will be on offer, although it's safe to say that photo-tagging and anonplus.com [http://www.farmville.com/].

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/312019/news/hacking-group-anonymous-launches-social-network]

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
I can't wait to see the family albums.

isn't perpetuating constant and saved social networking the anti thesis of Anon?.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Do you have to be a member of Anon to join? I'd join just for kicks....by using totally different personal information so I couldn't be hacked.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
tired of being shunned by the mainstream
Por que? They've had new segments about them. They're known far and wide on the internet and in the real world, how is that being shunned by the mainstream?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
ColdStorage said:

isn't perpetuating constant and saved social networking the anti thesis of Anon?.
I never thought they had anything against social networking, I always assumed they were more of the anarchistic "Bring down the man who's holding us down!" type of group. Especially with the whole Guy Fawkes thing. It strikes me as a very "V For Vendetta" meets the Internet sort of ordeal.

NeonWraith

Nov 25, 2008
RanD00M said:
Por que? They've had new segments about them. They're known far and wide on the internet and in the real world, how is that being shunned by the mainstream?
Yeah, and been demonised in every single one of them. Just because the mainstream acknowledges your existence doesn't mean they like it.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
So they got blocked from Google+, most likely due to their nature as a destructive force who hate large corporations, and reacted by planning operations against Google+... Not exactly the most constructive thinking is it? It's so childish, it's like being accused of arson and trying to show how wrong they are by lighting fires.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
"Welcome to the Revolution - a new social network where there is no fear... of censorship... of blackout... nor of holding back," it says. "There will be no more oppression. There will be no more tyranny. We are the people and we are Anonymous. We have arrived."

Does that remind you of anything?

Welcome to Rapture... where there is no fear of censorship... blah de blah.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Pretty cool. Being anonymous kind of defeats the purpose of a social network, but it might be interesting.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
Reaper195 said:
Do you have to be a member of Anon to join? I'd join just for kicks....by using totally different personal information so I couldn't be hacked.
Anon has no members, yo. If you want to be a member you are one. There is no difference from one another. A kid in his basement can be a member if he claims it.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
ColdStorage said:

To be fair, Anonymous already has several non-4chan areas to discuss and organise, such as whyweprotest.org, which is actually the firstsecond site (other than a Wiki page) that comes up when searching "Anonymous" on Google. (the site is primarily a forum for organising the on-going anti-Scientology protests). That site has no avenues for putting in personal details, other than your email address for an account - everything else is a username and an avatar (nobody puts their real name/real photo as a username/avatar). I'd imagine AnonPlus will be very much the same, so anyone on there will be 'anonymous' other than a username.

Reaper195 said:
There is no official membership for Anonymous. Anyone can call themselves Anonymous, although the legitimacy of your claim may depend on whether you believe in the 'core' values that Anonymous generally holds, such as the right to free speech, the lulz, etc :p (see Extra Credits [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/3350-Anonymous] for a good description of the nature of Anonymous :3)

Also, I doubt that an Anon-created social network site would require any personal information at all, except maybe an email address. :p

Dec 14, 2009
someonehairy-ish said:
"Welcome to the Revolution - a new social network where there is no fear... of censorship... of blackout... nor of holding back," it says. "There will be no more oppression. There will be no more tyranny. We are the people and we are Anonymous. We have arrived."

Does that remind you of anything?

Welcome to Rapture... where there is no fear of censorship... blah de blah.
Don't worry, Rapture had the world's greatest scientists and engineers. Anonymous only has the world's most self obsessed, angry, neck-bearded man children. Nothing bad will happen.

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Reaper195 said:
Something tells me they won't require personal information beyond perhaps a DOB for legal reasons. Putting all the typical social network info in one server is kind of the anti-thesis of Anon.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
The only people who would use the site are members of Anonymous under their internet handles and trolls making tons fake profiles. Not worth the bandwidth, and I certainly wouldn't enable javascript with whatever they're doing. How would they pay for the servers? Would it be ad supported? lol

Periodic

Jun 18, 2008
Dr Jones said:
A kid in his basement can be a member if he claims it.
That's what they all are.

I honestly can't believe people pay attention to this group of stupid script kiddies just because they ape ancient 4chan memes.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
ColdStorage said:

I never thought they had anything against social networking, I always assumed they were more of the anarchistic "Bring down the man who's holding us down!" type of group. Especially with the whole Guy Fawkes thing. It strikes me as a very "V For Vendetta" meets the Internet sort of ordeal.
That movie is exactly why they use that mask. Remember the scene where every citizen of the city was wearing that mask and cloak during that huge mob rush? That's pretty much exactly what Anonymous is. Hell, that entire movie is essentially the definition of Anonymous in cinematic form.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
How do you make a social network where everyone is anonymous?

-Anonymous has added you as a friend.

-Searching for anonymous? 200,000 results.

I imagine it would look something like this:

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
Here here for free speech!

It's wrong that they're not allowed certain rights on the internet due to black listing. That said i hope they have uber tight security on their new site.