Ubisoft: Splinter Cell Conviction Exclusivity a "Logical Step"

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Ubisoft: Splinter Cell Conviction Exclusivity a "Logical Step"

The decision to make Splinter Cell Conviction a 360/PC exclusive was made years ago, according to Ubisoft, who don't seem bothered by the idea that they might be missing out on a large percentage of potential customers by making their game Microsoft-only.

When it launches later this year, Splinter Cell Conviction will be one of the rare third-party games these days that doesn't make its way to every platform around. Ubisoft explained last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.120090] that the decision to go 360/PC only was because the series has been "historically linked with Microsoft platforms," which was reasoning that smelled a bit fishy (if fish smelled like money).

According to Ubisoft, however, the decision to go MS-exclusive wasn't something the company did without careful consideration. If Microsoft did buy Splinter Cell Conviction's exclusivity, they must have done it a long time ago. "It was a decision that we took many years ago," Ubisoft's Alain Corre said. "It's been an ongoing process. For us when we decided to do that many years ago it was a logical step."

A logical step? Maybe in the sense that it's easier to develop a game for a single platform without a reputation for being difficult to work on, but maybe not in terms of spending tons of money making a game and then limiting your potential consumer base. Ubisoft, however, doesn't see this as a problem. "There are also a lot of hardcore gamers who have ownership of both consoles," Corre said. "And everyone has a PC at home. To a certain extent if players want the next Splinter Cell game they will find a way."

Everyone does have a PC at home, but not everyone has one that can run Splinter Cell Conviction. And yes, plenty of people have both consoles, but plenty of people don't, and I'm not sure Conviction is a system seller, impressive as it looks. Well, if you're a PS3 owner who's trying to "find a way" to play Conviction, the only way might be to hope and wait.

[Via GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ubisofts-alain-corre]]

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I'll check it out. But I can't help the nagging feeling that this will be going for the "Hard-Boiled"/"Renegade Cop" (Ala Dead to Rights) theme, which has been done so many times.

PoToGo

Mar 26, 2009
Well, two years from release they'll make it for PS3. Wasn't Splinter Cell on PS2? Bad Ubisoft!

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
I'll check it out. But I can't help the nagging feeling that this will be going for the "Hard-Boiled"/"Renegade Cop" (Ala Dead to Rights) theme, which has been done so many times.
Nah, it seems more Frank Miller, in that it's a bloody revenge/QUESTION(S!!!!!) driven story.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Nah, it seems more Frank Miller, in that it's a bloody revenge/QUESTION(S!!!!!) driven story.
Ok, but if Sam Fisher is driving down the street doing exposition that lasts for 10 minutes about How the sky looks like only salvation from the crumpling remains of the city..

Somebody gets shot.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Ok, but if Sam Fisher is driving down the street doing exposition that lasts for 10 minutes about How the sky looks like only salvation from the crumpling remains of the city..
Somebody gets shot.
Pre shitty comic/movie, I'm talking Sin City "I took his weapon... both of them" Frank Miller.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I don't want to sound too rude, but how is this article any different than the one posted weeks ago about Conviction's exclusivity?

Actually, to redirect the question at Ubisoft, why are they saying this yet again? Who keeps bugging them about the issue? It's not that big of a deal.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Somebody gets shot.
Pre shitty comic/movie, I'm talking Sin City "I took his weapon... both of them" Frank Miller.
Ah, thats more like it.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Isn't this the one where they abandon stealth and make it every FPS ever, but in third person?

Sounds like they're doing PS3 owners a favor.
Sounds about right. After all who needs consistency? Lets just completely destroy what works well and add more guns. That must be what the fans want.. right?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
MaxTheReaper said:
Isn't this the one where they abandon stealth and make it every FPS ever, but in third person?

I stealthily shotgunned that guard in the face, five times!

But seriously, the devs have mentioned that the dark/light meter is still there, you can still do neck snaps, pushing and pulling kills and all the other stuff.

It's just, there's a Halo-frenzy option, too. Which I don't object to, sometimes... you just need to come home and shotgun a drug dealer in the face before pushing his best friend out of a window.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Well it certainly is a logical step if you don't like your game to sell.
The only logical exclusives are ones that would be limited if ported on other systems, like a game that uses Wii controls or a game that relies heavily on the PS3's hardware/power.

Keane Ng said:
reasoning that smelled a bit fishy (if fish smelled like money).
Nice one, well said.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
As long as you can play through most of the game using stealth, it will be fine. As Booze Zombie said, sometimes you just need to go loud.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Though multiplatforming is definitely a better say to get more sales...I'm glad I've got a 360 in this case (not meaning to dish any PS3 owners).

But until Chaos Theory I played Splinter Cell on the PC and the multiplayer was great. System requirements just get steeper and steeper.

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
I'm really looking forward to this. Not only can it play on the 360, but a portion of it is set in Malta! It would be funny to see some of the locals here digitally rendered, And i can nitpick all the mistakes they make :D

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Regarding the "bawww they're changing it" sentiments. Here's the deal. It's a plot-related reason. Sam is now on the run from his own government, of course things are going to change. Yes the stealth is still there, but it's more about blending into a crowd and having to suddenly haul ass and ditch pursuers if you get spotted. It's not "every FPS ever in third person", at least not from what I'm gathering. Of course, I have yet to play the game, so I cannot make a final judgement until I do.

I'm not sure which platform I'll be getting it for, I'm sure my PC can run it now but at the same time, I've played the other games on a console and that might be a bit more natural feeling for me.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
MaxTheReaper said:

I stealthily shotgunned that guard in the face, five times!

But seriously, the devs have mentioned that the dark/light meter is still there, you can still do neck snaps, pushing and pulling kills and all the other stuff.

It's just, there's a Halo-frenzy option, too. Which I don't object to, sometimes... you just need to come home and shotgun a drug dealer in the face before pushing his best friend out of a window.
Everyone enjoys a little mayhem once in awhile. I guess they were trying to bridge the gap between Gears players and Splinter Cell players. Let's just hope they don't fall flat on their faces with that concept.